About Anne Cavendish, Lady
- 'Lady Anne Cavendish1
- 'F, #13081, b. circa 1611, d. 24 August 1638
- Last Edited=9 Mar 2011
- 'Lady Anne Cavendish was born circa 1611.3 She was the daughter of William Cavendish, 2nd Earl of Devonshire and Hon. Christian Bruce.1 She married Robert Rich, 3rd Earl of Warwick, son of Robert Rich, 2nd Earl of Warwick and Frances Hatton, on 9 April 1632 at Battersea, Surrey, England.3 She died on 24 August 1638.1
- ' Her married name became Rich.
- 'Child of Lady Anne Cavendish and Robert Rich, 3rd Earl of Warwick
- 1.Robert Rich b. 1634, d. c Apr 1658
- 1.[S37] Charles Mosley, editor, Burke's Peerage, Baronetage & Knightage, 107th edition, 3 volumes (Wilmington, Delaware, U.S.A.: Burke's Peerage (Genealogical Books) Ltd, 2003), volume 1, page 1127. Hereinafter cited as Burke's Peerage and Baronetage, 107th edition.
- 2.[S3409] Caroline Maubois, "re: Penancoet Family," e-mail message to Darryl Roger Lundy, 2 December 2008. Hereinafter cited as "re: Penancoet Family."
- 3.[S6] G.E. Cokayne; with Vicary Gibbs, H.A. Doubleday, Geoffrey H. White, Duncan Warrand and Lord Howard de Walden, editors, The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain and the United Kingdom, Extant, Extinct or Dormant, new ed., 13 volumes in 14 (1910-1959; reprint in 6 volumes, Gloucester, U.K.: Alan Sutton Publishing, 2000), volume XII/2, page 413. Hereinafter cited as The Complete Peerage.
- From: http://thepeerage.com/p1309.htm#i13081
Robert Rich, 3rd Earl of Warwick (28 June 1611 – 29 May 1659 in London), was the son of Robert Rich, 2nd Earl of Warwick and Frances Hatton. His only son, also Robert, predeceased him by 15 months dying of consumption . The earldom passed to the 3rd Earl's brother Charles.
'Lord Warwick married Lady Anne Cavendish, the daughter of William Cavendish, 2nd Earl of Devonshire, on 9 April 1632 at Battersea, Surrey. Their child, was the Earl's only son, Robert.
- Robert married Frances Cromwell, daughter of Oliver Cromwell in 1657 but he died of consumption within three months of the marriage on 16 February 1658 (1657/1658), leaving no children and his widow remarried Sir John Russell, 3rd Baronet.
Robert Rich married secondly Anne Cheeke, daughter of Sir Thomas Cheeke and Essex Rich. Their children were:
- Anne who married Thomas Barrington of Barrington Hall Essex, heir of Sir John Barrington, 3rd Baronet.
- Mary who married Sir Henry St. John, 1st Viscount St. John on 11 December 1673 and died in 1678, giving birth to their only son, Henry, Viscount Bolingbroke.
- Essex Rich, who married Daniel Finch, 2nd Earl of Nottingham on 16 June 1674.
Robert Rich is buried in Felsted, Essex.
- From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Rich,_3rd_Earl_of_Warwick
- 'Dictionary of National Biography, 1885-1900, Volume 48
- Rich, Robert (1587-1658) by Charles Harding Firth
- RICH, ROBERT, second Earl of Warwick (1587–1658), eldest son of Robert, lord Rich (created Earl of Warwick 2 Aug. 1618), by Penelope Devereux [see Rich, Penelope], was born about June 1587. Henry Rich, earl of Holland [q. v.], was his younger brother. Robert was admitted to Emmanuel College, Cambridge, on 4 June 1603 (Hist. MSS. Comm. 4th Rep. p. 417; Doyle, Official Baronage, iii. 596). He was created a knight of the Bath on 24 July 1603, became .....
- Warwick was three times married: first, to Frances, daughter of Sir William Hatton, knt., 24 Feb. 1605 (Winwood Papers, iii. 49); she died in August 1634. Secondly, Susan, daughter of Sir Rowe Rowe, lord mayor of London in 1607, and widow of William Halliday, alderman of London; she died on 16 Jan. 1645–6, and was buried at St. Lawrence's Church, near the Guildhall in London (Autobiography of Mary, Countess of Warwick, p. 15; Wheatley and Cunningham, London Past and Present, iii. 450). Thirdly, Eleanor, daughter of Sir Edward Wortley, and Dowager Countess of Sussex, on 30 March 1646. Many of this lady's letters are given in the ‘Memoirs of the Verney Family,’ where she is nicknamed ‘old men's wife’ (i. 241–75, iii. 427). Her portrait by Van Somer is there reproduced.
- Warwick's 'eldest son, 'Robert, baron Rich, of Leighs, Essex, joined the king at York, but never bore arms; and the fine imposed upon him by parliament was remitted at his father's petition. He married twice: first, Anne, daughter of William Cavendish, earl of Devonshire; secondly, Anne, daughter of Sir Thomas Cheke. He died on 30 May 1659, leaving only three daughters (Cal. of Committee for Compounding, p. 1729'; Autobiography of Mary, Countess of Warwick, p. 27). The second son, Charles Rich, married Mary Boyle, daughter of the first earl of Cork, succeeded his brother as fourth earl of Warwick, and died 24 Aug. 1673 [see Rich, Mary, Countess of Warwick]. The third son, Hatton Rich, died without issue on 28 Feb. 1670, as did Henry, the fourth son, and the title of Warwick then passed to Robert Rich, son of the first earl of Holland (ib. p. 31). Of Warwick's daughters, Lucy Rich married John, second baron Robartes, and Frances married Nicholas Leke, second earl of Scarsdale. Another daughter, Anne, became the second wife of Edward Montagu (1 July 1626), and died in February 1642. Two characteristic letters from Warwick on the education and marriage of his grandchildren are printed in the Duke of Manchester's ‘Court and Society from Elizabeth to Anne’ (i. 377, 380).
- [Authorities given in the article. The best life of Warwick is that contained in Alexander Brown's Genesis of the United States, 1890, ii. 980; Sargeaunt's History of Felsted School, 1889, p. 110; Morant's Essex, ii. 101; Herald and Genealogist, v. 444–6.] C. H. F.
- From: http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Rich,_Robert_(1587-1658)_(DNB00)
Anne Cavendish, Lady's Timeline
April 9, 1632
Battersea, Surrey, England
Ely, Glamorganshire, , Wales
August 24, 1638