About Margaret de Boelyn (Butler)
Lady Margaret Butler (c. 1454 or 1465 – 1539) was an Irish noblewoman, the daughter and co-heiress of Thomas Butler, 7th Earl of Ormond. She married Sir William Boleyn and through her eldest son Sir Thomas Boleyn, was the paternal grandmother of Anne Boleyn, second wife of King Henry VIII of England
Family and marriage
She was born at Kilkenny Castle in County Kilkenny, Ireland, the daughter and co-heiress of Thomas Butler, 7th Earl of Ormond and Anne Hankford. Her paternal grandparents were James Butler, 4th Earl of Ormond and Joan de Beauchamp. Her maternal grandparents were Sir Richard Hankeford and Anne de Montagu.
She had one younger sister, Anne who married Sir James de St. Leger, by whom she had issue. Anne was also co-heiress to their father's estates.
In 1465 Margaret married Sir William Boleyn, and in total they had ten children. Her son, the ambitious courtier Sir Thomas Boleyn, became the first Earl of Wiltshire and by his marriage to Elizabeth Howard, the Duke of Norfolk's daughter, was the father of Anne Boleyn, Queen consort of England. Thus, Margaret was great-grandmother to Queen Elizabeth I of England.
Margaret's role in the rise and fall of the Boleyn clan is unknown, although there has been much speculation and theorizing.
She was the last of the Boleyns to live in Hever Castle as it was given to Anne of Cleves in 1540 sometime after her death.
- 1. Anne Boleyn (18 November 1475 – 6 January 1555) married John Shelton
- 2. Thomas Boleyn, 1st Earl of Wiltshire (c. 1477 – 12 March 1538/9) married Elizabeth Howard.
- 3. John Boleyn (1481 – 1484)
- 4. Anthony Boleyn (c. 1483 – 30 September 1493
- 5. Jane Boleyn (c. 1485 died 1501 married Sir Phillip Calthorpe
- 6. Alice Boleyn (c. 1487 – 1538) married Robert Clere
- 7. Margaret Boleyn (born about 1489) married John Sackville, Esq.
- 8. William Boleyn (c. 1491 – 18 December 1571)
- 9. James Boleyn (c. 1493 – 5 December 1561) married Elizabeth Wood
- 10. Edward Boleyn (born about 1496) married Anne Tempest
Margaret Butler as 'Grandmother Boleyn' appears in the 2002 Philippa Gregory novel The Other Boleyn Girl. She is portrayed as a critical, and insubordinate woman who is shrewd and uncaring toward her grandchildren and great-grandchildren. She does seem to inquire about life in the English court. Margaret lived in the Boleyn estate in Hever Castle, and plays a supporting role in the novel.
- From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lady_Margaret_Butler
From: http://www.theweald.org/N10d.asp?NId=6000245 (source)
- Margaret Butler1,2,3
- F, #15409, b. circa 1454, d. circa 20 March 1540
- Father Sir Thomas Butler, 7th Earl Ormond, Baron Ormond of Rocheford, Chief Butler of Ireland4,5,3 b. c 1424, d. 3 Aug 1515
- Mother Anne Hankford2,5 b. Jan 1431 or Feb 1431, d. 13 Nov 1485
- Margaret Butler was born circa 1454 at of Swavesey, Cambridgeshire, England.2 She married Sir William Boleyn, son of Sir Geoffrey Boleyn, Lord Mayor of London and Anne Hastings, before 16 November 1469; They had 6 sons (Sir Thomas, Earl of Wiltshire & Ormond; William, Archdeacon of Winchester; Sir James; Sir Edward; John; & Anthony) and 5 daughters (Margaret, wife of John Sackville, Esq; Anne (died young); Anne, wife of Sir John Shelton; Alice, wife of Sir Robert Clere; & Jane, wife of Sir Philip Calthorpe).2,6,3 Margaret Butler died circa 20 March 1540.6
- Family Sir William Boleyn b. c 1451, d. 10 Oct 1505
- Anne Boleyn+2 b. 18 Nov 1475, d. Dec 1556
- Sir Thomas Boleyn, Earl of Wiltshire & Ormond, Viscount Rochford, Sheriff of Kent+7,6 b. c 1477, d. 12 Mar 1539
- John Boleyn b. c 1481, d. 1484
- Anthony Boleyn b. c 1483, d. 30 Sep 1493
- Alice Boleyn+2,8,6,3 b. c 1485, d. 1 Nov 1538
- Margaret Boleyn+2,6 b. c 1489, d. a 1556
- William Boleyn b. c 1491, d. 18 Dec 1571
- Sir James Boleyn b. c 1493, d. 5 Dec 1561
- Sir Edward Boleyn b. c 1495
- Jane Boleyn+2 b. c 1497
- 1.[S4157] Unknown author, Ancestral Roots of 60 Colonists, p. 108; Plantagenet Ancestry of 17th Century Colonists, by David Faris, p. 46/7; Burke's Peerage, 1938, p. 1909; Stemmata Robertson, p. 215, 217.
- 2.[S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 179.
- 3.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. II, p. 402.
- 4.[S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 178-179.
- 5.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. I, p. 382-383.
- 6.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. I, p. 385.
- 7.[S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 179-180.
- 8.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. I, p. 6.
- From: http://our-royal-titled-noble-and-commoner-ancestors.com/p513.htm#i15409
- Margaret BUTLER
- Born: 1444
- Died: 1539
- Notes: Through her, the Earldom of Ormonde was granted to the Boleyn family during the brief period of favour of Anne Boleyn. After her fall it returned to the Butler family.
- Father: Thomas BUTLER (7° E. Ormonde)
- Mother: Anne HANKFORD
- Married: William BOLEYN (Sir) ABT 1465
- 1. Thomas BOLEYN (1° E. Wiltshire)
- 2. Margaret BOLEYN
- 3. Alice BOLEYN
- 4. William BOLEYN (Sir)
- 5. John BOLEYN (b. 1481-84)
- 6. Anthony BOLEYN (b. 1483)
- 7. Jane BOLEYN
- 8. Anne BOLEYN
- 9. Edward BOLEYN
- 10. James BOLEYN (Sir)
- From: http://www.tudorplace.com.ar/BUTLER.htm#Margaret BUTLER1
- Margaret Butler1
- F, #112844, b. circa 1465, d. between 30 September 1539 and 20 March 1540
- Last Edited=31 Jan 2013
- Consanguinity Index=0.06%
- Margaret Butler was born circa 1465.1 She was the daughter of Thomas Butler, 7th Earl of Ormonde and Anne Hankeford.1 She married Sir William Boleyn, son of Sir Geoffrey Boleyn and Ann Hoo, before 1477.1 She died between 30 September 1539 and 20 March 1540.1
- From before 1477, her married name became Boleyn.
- Children of Margaret Butler and Sir William Boleyn
- 1.Anne Boleyn+2 b. 18 Nov 1475, d. 6 Jan 1555
- 2.Thomas Boleyn, 1st Earl of Wiltshire+1 b. c 1477, d. 13 Mar 1538/39
- 3.John Boleyn3 b. 1481, d. 1484
- 4.Anthony Boleyn3 b. c 1483, d. 30 Sep 1493
- 5.Jane Boleyn3 b. c 1485, d. 1501
- 6.Alice Boleyn3 b. c 1487, d. 1 Nov 1538
- 7.Margaret Boleyn3 b. c 1489
- 8.William Boleyn3 b. c 1491, d. 18 Dec 1571
- 9.Sir James Boleyn3 b. c 1493, d. 5 Dec 1561
- 10.Sir Edward Boleyn3 b. c 1496
- 1.[S16] Jirí Louda and Michael MacLagan, Lines of Succession: Heraldry of the Royal Families of Europe, 2nd edition (London, U.K.: Little, Brown and Company, 1999), table 10. Hereinafter cited as Lines of Succession.
- 2.[S5792] Robin Dening, "re: Rochfort Family," e-mail message to Darryl Roger LUNDY (101053), 2 January 2012. Hereinafter cited as "re: Rochfort Family."
- 3.[S130] Wikipedia, online http;//www.wikipedia.org. Hereinafter cited as Wikipedia.
- From: http://www.thepeerage.com/p11285.htm#i112844
- BOLEYN (BULLEN), Sir James (c.1480-1561), of Blickling, Norf.
- b. c.1480, 2nd s. of Sir William Boleyn of Blickling by Margaret, 2nd da. and coh. of Thomas Butler, 7th Earl of Ormond. m. Elizabeth, da. and coh. of John Awodde or Wood of East Barsham, Norf., d.s.p. Kntd. 1520. suc. to entailed lands of bro. Thomas, Earl of Wiltshire 1539.1
- From: http://www.historyofparliamentonline.org/volume/1509-1558/member/boleyn-%28bullen%29-sir-james-1480-1561
- Wiltshire, Earl of (E, 1529 - 1539)
- Thomas [Boleyn], 1st Viscount Rochford later 1st Earl of Wiltshire and 1st Earl of Ormonde, KG PC
- 1st son and heir of Sir William Boleyn, of Blickling Hall, co. Norfolk, by his wife Lady Margaret Butler, 2nd dau. and cohrss. of Thomas [Butler], 7th Earl of Ormonde
- born 1477
- Lady Anne Boleyn, suo jure Marchioness of Pembroke
- 1A. Lady Anne Boleyn, suo jure Marchioness of Pembroke (b. c. 1509; beh. 19 May 1536), mar. 25 Jan 1532/3 (conf. 28 May 1532) as his second wife Henry VIII, King of England 1509-1547
- 1B. Thomas [Boleyn], 1st Earl of Wiltshire and 1st Earl of Ormonde (b. 1477; d. 12 Mar 1538/9), mar. bef. 1506,
- 2B. Lady Elizabeth Howard (d. 3 Apr 1538)
- 1C. Sir William Boleyn, of Blickling, co. Norfolk (d. 1505), mar.,
- 2C. Lady Margaret Butler (d. 1539/40)
- 3C. Thomas [Howard], 2nd Duke of Norfolk (b. 1443; d. 21 May 1524), mar. 30 Apr 1472,
- 4C. Elizabeth Tilney (d. 4 Apr 1497)
- From: http://www.cracroftspeerage.co.uk/online/
Margaret Butler or Boteler was born in 1498-1502 in Crayford, Kent, England
Lady Margaret Butler's Timeline
London, Middlesex, England
November 18, 1474
November 18, 1475
Blickling, Norfolk, England
Blickling, Norfolk, England
Blicking, Norfolk, England
Crayford, Kent, England, (Present UK)
Blicking, Norfolk, England
Blickling, Norfolk, , England
Blicking, Norfolk, England
Chesham, Buckinghamshire, England