About Mary (Isabel) Strange, Baroness of Arundel (FitzAlan)
- 'Mary FitzAlan1,2,3,4,5
- 'F, d. 29 August 1396
- Father Sir Edmund FitzAlan, 9th Earl Arundel, Chief Justice of North & South Wales1,2,6,4,5 b. 1 May 1285, d. 17 Nov 1326
- Mother Alice de Warren1,2,6 b. c 1287, d. bt 1330 - 23 May 1338
- ' Mary FitzAlan married Sir John le Strange, 4th Lord Strange of Blackmere, son of Sir John le Strange, 2nd Lord Strange of Blackmere and Ankaret le Boteler, before 1354; They had 1 son (John, 5th Lord Strange) and one daughter, Ankaret (wife of Sir Richard, 4th Lord Talbot & of Sir Thomas Neville, Lord Furnival).1,2,3,4,5 Mary FitzAlan died on 29 August 1396.1,2
- Family Sir John le Strange, 4th Lord Strange of Blackmere b. 13 Jan 1332, d. 12 May 1361
- (Sir John le Strange, 5th Baron Strange of Blackmere+7,2 b. c 1353, d. 3 Aug 1375
- Agnes Strange+ b. c 1359
- Ankaret le Strange+1,8,9,2,4,5 b. c 1361, d. 1 Jun 1413
- 1.[S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 110.
- 2.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. I, p. 209-210.
- 3.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. II, p. 185.
- 4.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. IV, p. 166-167.
- 5.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. IV, p. 258-259.
- 6.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. II, p. 178-179.
- 7.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. I, p. 144-145.
- 8.[S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 702-704.
- 9.[S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 737.
- From: http://our-royal-titled-noble-and-commoner-ancestors.com/p370.htm#i11095
- 'Mary FitzAlan1,2
- F, #11715
- Last Edited=6 Oct 2012
- Consanguinity Index=0.2%
- ' Mary FitzAlan was the daughter of Edmund Fitzalan, 9th Earl of Arundel and Alice de Warenne.3,4,5,1 She married John Lestrange, 4th Lord Strange (of Blackmere), son of John Lestrange, 2nd Lord Strange (of Blackmere).1
- 'Children of Mary FitzAlan and John Lestrange, 4th Lord Strange (of Blackmere)
- 1.John Lestrange, 5th Lord Strange (of Blackmere)2 b. c 1350
- 2.Ankaret Lestrange+6 b. 1361, d. 1413
- 1.[S6] G.E. Cokayne; with Vicary Gibbs, H.A. Doubleday, Geoffrey H. White, Duncan Warrand and Lord Howard de Walden, editors, The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain and the United Kingdom, Extant, Extinct or Dormant, new ed., 13 volumes in 14 (1910-1959; reprint in 6 volumes, Gloucester, U.K.: Alan Sutton Publishing, 2000), volume I, page 244. Hereinafter cited as The Complete Peerage.
- 2.[S6] Cokayne, and others, The Complete Peerage, volume XII/1, page 344.
- 3.[S6] Cokayne, and others, The Complete Peerage, volume I, page 244, says that she was the daughter of the 10th Earl, not 9th Earl of Arundel.
- 4.[S108] Medieval Genealogy, corrections and additions to the Complete Peerage, online http://www.medievalgenealogy.org.uk/cp/. Hereinafter cited as Medieval Genealogy.
- 5.[S2] Peter W. Hammond, editor, The Complete Peerage or a History of the House of Lords and All its Members From the Earliest Times, Volume XIV: Addenda & Corrigenda (Stroud, Gloucestershire, U.K.: Sutton Publishing, 1998), page 596. Hereinafter cited as The Complete Peerage, Volume XIV.
- 6.[S6] Cokayne, and others, The Complete Peerage, volume XII/1, page 345.
- From: http://www.thepeerage.com/p1172.htm#i11715
- Edmund FitzAlan, 3rd Earl of Arundel[a] (1 May 1285 – 17 November 1326) was an English nobleman prominent in the conflict between Edward II and his barons. His father, Richard FitzAlan, 2nd Earl of Arundel, died in 1302 while Edmund was still a minor. He therefore became a ward of John de Warenne, Earl of Surrey, and married Warenne's granddaughter Alice. In 1306 he was styled Earl of Arundel, and served under Edward I in the Scottish Wars, for which he was richly rewarded. ......
- Edmund and Alice had at least seven children:
- Richard FitzAlan, 4th Earl of Arundel Married (1) Isabel le Despenser, (2) Eleanor of Lancaster
- 'Mary Married John le Strange, 4th Baron Strange of Blackmere
- Aline Married Roger le Strange, 5th Baron Strange of Knockin
- Alice Married John de Bohun, 5th Earl of Hereford
- Katherine Married (1) Henry Hussey, 2nd Baron Hussey, (2) Andrew Peverell
- Eleanor Married Gerard de Lisle, 1st Baron Lisle
- Burtscher, Michael (2008). The Fitzalans: Earls of Arundel and Surrey, Lords of the Welsh Marches (1267–1415). Glasgow: Logaston Press. ISBN 1-904396-94-1.
- Cokayne, George (1910–1959). The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain and the United Kingdom. i (New ed.). London: The St. Catherine Press.
- Davies, R.R. (2004). "Mortimer, Roger (V), first earl of March (1287–1330)". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography. Oxford: Oxford University Press. doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/19354.
- Fryde, E. B. (1961). Handbook of British Chronology (Second ed.). London: Royal Historical Society.
- Given-Wilson, Chris (2004). "Fitzalan, Edmund, second earl of Arundel (1285–1326)". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography. Oxford: Oxford University Press. doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/9529.
- Haines, Roy Martin (2003). King Edward II: His Life, His Reign, and Its Aftermath, 1284–1330. Montréal, London: McGill-Queen's Press. ISBN 0-7735-2432-0.
- Hamilton, J. S. (1988). Piers Gaveston, Earl of Cornwall, 1307–1312: Politics and Patronage in the Reign of Edward II. Detroit; London: Wayne State University Press; Harvester-Wheatsheaf. ISBN 0-8143-2008-2.
- Hamilton, J. S. (2004). "Despenser, Hugh, the younger, first Lord Despenser (d. 1326)". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography. Oxford: Oxford University Press. doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/7554.
- McKisack, May (1959). The Fourteenth Century: 1307–1399. Oxford: Oxford University Press. ISBN 0-19-821712-9.
- Maddicott, J.R. (1970). Thomas of Lancaster, 1307–1322. Oxford: Oxford University Press. ISBN 0-19-821837-0.
- Morris, Marc (2008). A Great and Terrible King: Edward I and the Forging of Britain (updated ed.). London: Hutchinson. ISBN 978-0-09-179684-6.
- Prestwich, Michael (2007). Plantagenet England: 1225–1360 (new ed.). Oxford: Oxford University Press. ISBN 0-19-822844-9.
- Tuck, Anthony (1985). Crown and Nobility 1272–1461: Political Conflict in Late Medieval England. London: Fontana. ISBN 0-00-686084-2.
- From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmund_FitzAlan,_9th_Earl_of_Arundel
'Mary, the wife of John, 4th Lord Strange of Blackmere
'Volume 14, p.596 retains the identification of John Strange's wife Mary as a daughter of Richard, the 10th earl, but mentions Margaret Aston's argument, in Thomas Arundel, chart following p.436 (1967), that Mary was instead the daughter of Edmund, the 9th earl. It adds that if this were so, Mary would have been aged about 40 when her son John was born.
Margaret Aston cites two records that place 'Mary as a sister - not a daughter - of Richard, the 10th earl: (i) in a petition to the Pope in 1364, she calls herself "Mary la Straunge, lady of Corfham, widow, and sister of the Earl of Arundell" [Cal. Papal Petitions, 1342-1419, p.484] and (ii) in an "ordinance and device" registered with his will, Richard refers to his sister Mary Lestrange [Reg. Sudbury, Lambeth, f.95v].
A third independent piece of evidence is an agreement between the attorneys of Richard, earl of Arundel and Surrey, and the attorneys of Isabel, late the wife of John Lestrange of Blakemere, concerning Isabel's dower, which refers to this John' [Mary's son] as the earl's nephew', which "agreement shall be affirmed in the king's chancery" [Cat. Ancient Deeds vol. 3, C3059: English abstract of a French original]. This agreement is undated, but was probably made soon after 28 November 1375, when an order was enrolled to the escheator in Shropshire, to take an oath from Isabel not to marry without the king's licence, and to assign her dower in the presence of Richard, earl of Arundel, or his attorneys, sending the assignment under seal to be enrolled in chancery [Cal. Close Rolls 1374-77, p.176]. A note was later added to the agreement, recording the delivery of dower by the assent of Richard, now earl of Arundel, and the other executors of Richard, the former earl [who had died in January, 1375/6]. This was perhaps in June 1376, when following Isabel's unlicenced remarriage it was ordered that she should have her dower with the "assent of Richard now earl of Arundell and other the executors of Richard late earl of Arundell" [Cal. Close Rolls 1374-77, p.378].
As to the chronology, 'Mary's son' John Lestrange was born in the early 1350s [Complete Peerage volume 12, part 1, p. 344], while Edmund, the 9th earl of Arundel, married while a minor in 1305 and was executed in 1326. From this it appears that Mary could have been under 30 when John was born. (However, Mary's daughter Ankaret, the eventual heir, was born later, about 1361 [p.345].)
- From: http://www.medievalgenealogy.org.uk/cp/arundel.shtml#p244b
Volume 1, page 244, note b (as corrected in volume 14):
Richard Fitz Alan, 10th Earl of Arundel (d.1375/6):
He probably had only a son, Edmund, by his first wife, Isabel. Edmund had at least three daughters: (1) Elizabeth, who married 1stly Sir Leonard Carew and 2ndly Sir John de Meriet, and d. 1385 or 1386; (2) Philippa, who married 1stly Sir Richard Sergeaux and 2ndly Sir John Cornwall, and d. 1399; (3) Katherine, who married .... Deincourt, and d. before 12 February 1381/2. 'The wife of John, 4th Lord Strange of Blackmere, was called Mary not Isabel, and was a daughter of Edmund, the 9th earl, not Richard, the 10th.
- From: http://www.medievalgenealogy.org.uk/cp/vol1.shtml#arundel
THERE HAVE BEEN CORRECTIONS TO THE PARENTAGE OF MARY FITZALAN WIFE OF JOHN le STRANGE, SEE ABOVE REFERENCES
- 'Le Strange records : a chronicle of the early Le Stranges of Norfolk and the March of Wales A.D. 1100-1310, with the lines of Knockin and Blackmere continued to their extinction (1916)
- CHART Le Strange of Blackmere.
- Pg.. 318
- 'John Le Strange b. 1332 m. Mary dau. of Richard fitzAlan by Isabel Despencer
- Pg. 319
- 'Mary le Strange, lady of Corfham d.1396 Aug. 29
- John [Lestrange], 2nd Baron Strange of Blackmere
- born 25 Jan 1305/6
- mar. Ankaret Boteler (mar. (2) Sir Thomas de Ferrers; d. 8 Oct 1361), sister and cohrss. of Edward Boteler, and dau. of William Boteler, of Wem. co. Shrewsbury
- 1. Fulk Lestrange, later 3rd Baron Strange of Blackmere
- '2. John Lestrange, later 4th Baron Strange of Blackmere
- 1. Eleanor Lestrange (d. 20 Apr 1396), mar. bef. 29 Nov 1360 Reynold [de Grey], 2nd Baron Grey of Ruthin, and had issue
- died 21 Jul 1349
- suc. by son
- note had seisin of his lands 1326/7; executor of the will of his cousin Ebles [Lestrange], 1st Baron Strange, 1337; accompanied the King to Normandy 1346 and was at Crecy and Calais
- 'John [Lestrange], 4th Baron Strange of Blackmere
- 'born c. 1332
- 'mar. Lady Mary FitzAlan (d. 29 Aug 1396), 2nd dau. of Richard [FitzAlan], 10th or 3rd Earl of Arundel, by his first wife Isabel le Despencer, 2nd dau. of Hugh [le Despencer], 1st and de jure 2nd Baron le Despencer, by his wife Lady Eleanor de Clare, sister and cohrss of Gilbert [de Clare], 7th Earl of Gloucester, and 1st dau. of Gilbert [de Clare], 6th Earl of Gloucester, by his second wife Princess Joan "of Acre", 2nd surv. dau. by his first wife of King Edward I
- 1. John Lestrange, later 5th Baron Strange of Blackmere
- 1. Ankaret Lestrange, later suo jure Baroness Strange of Blackmere
- 'died 12 May 1361
- 'suc. by son
- From: http://www.cracroftspeerage.co.uk/online/
- Richard FitzAlan, 9th Earl of Arundel (b c1313, d 24.01.1375/6) m1. 09.02.1230/1) Isabel Despencer (dau of Hugh Despencer, 'the younger', Lord Despencer)
- Richard divorced Isabel, to whom he had been married when a young child, after her father had been attainted and executed According to TCP (Arundel). "the Pope very obligingly annulled the marriage and bastardised the issue: a very unfair proceeding a far as Edmund d'Arundel was concerned."
- 1. Edmund FitzAlan (b. c1327)
- 2. Philippa FitzAlan .....
- ' 3. Mary FitzAlan (d 29.08.1396)
- 'BE1883 shows only Philippa as by Richard's first marriage, showing Mary as 3rd daughter of the 2nd marriage (ie 4th overal), but TCP (Strange) specifically identifies Mary as being by Richard's marriage to Isabel Descpencer whilst TCP (Arundel) comfirms that there were 1 son and 2 daughters by the first marriage.
- ' m. John le Strange, 4th Lord of Blackmere (b c04.1332, d 12.05.1361)
- m2. (05.02.1345) Eleanor Plantagenet (b. 1311/c1316, d 11.01.1372, dau of Henry Plantagenet, 3rd Earl of Lancaster) .....
- From: http://stirnet.com/genie/data/british/ff/fitzalan2.php#top
- RICHARD FitzAlan, son of EDMUND FitzAlan Earl of Arundel & his wife Alice de Warenne (-Arundel 24 Jan 1376, bur Lewes Priory, Sussex). His father's assets having been forfeited following his execution in 1326 (for supporting King Edward II against the Queen and Mortimer), Richard FitzAlan's inheritance was restored in 1330 and he succeeded as Earl of Arundel, known as "Copped Hat". He succeeded in 1347 to the estates of the Warenne family, on the death of his uncle John de Warenne 8th Earl of Surrey, although he only assumed the title Earl of Surrey after the death of the 8th Earl's widow Joan in 1361. The History of the foundation of Walden abbey records the death “1375 IX Kal Feb” of “Ricardus comes Arundell”.
- m firstly (1321, annulled 1344) ISABEL Le Despencer, daughter of Sir HUGH Le Despencer the younger, Lord Le Despencer & his wife Eleanor de Clare of Gloucester (-). The Chronicle of Lanercost records that "comes Arundeliæ" married "filiam domini Hugonis, junioris".
- m secondly (Ditton Church, Stoke Poges, Bucks 5 Feb 1345, Papal dispensation 4 Mar 1345) as her second husband, ELEANOR of Lancaster, widow of JOHN de Beaumont, daughter of HENRY Earl of Lancaster & his wife Matilda Chaworth (-Arundel Castle, Sussex 11 Jan 1372, bur Lewes Priory, Sussex). While her first husband was still alive, and before Earl Richard's annulment of his first marriage, she lived with her future second husband.
- Earl Richard & his first wife had two children (bastardised in 1344 on the annulment of their parents´ marriage):
- 1. EDMUND de Arundel (-after 1377). m (before Jul 1349) SIBYL de Montagu, daughter WILLIAM de Montagu Earl of Salisbury & his wife Katharine de Grandison . Edmund & his wife had two children: ......
- '2. MARY [Isabel] (-29 Aug 1396). m JOHN Lestrange 4th Lord Strange (of Blackmere), son of JOHN Lestrange Lord Strange (of Blackmere) & his wife Ankaret Boteler of Wem, Shropshire (Whitchurch [Easter] 1332-12 May 1361).
- From: http://fmg.ac/Projects/MedLands/ENGLISH%20NOBILITY%20MEDIEVAL1.htm
- 'Mary FITZALAN
- 'Born: 1332, Corfham, Shropshire, England
- 'Died: 29 Aug 1396
- Father: Richard "Copped Hat" FITZALAN (5° E. Arundel)
- Mother: Eleanor PLANTAGENET (C. Arundel)
- 'Married: John Le STRANGE (4º B. Strange of Blackmere)
- 1. John Le STRANGE (Sir Knight)
- 2. Ankaret Le STRANGE (B. Strange of Blackmere)
- From: http://www.tudorplace.com.ar/FITZALAN.htm#Mary FITZALAN1
Sources: 1.OneWorldTree Ancestry.com Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: MyFamily.com, Inc. "Pedigree Resource File," database, FamilySearch (http://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.2.1/SPCG-RLG : accessed 14 September 2012), entry for Mary /Fitzalan/.
Mary Strange, Baroness of Arundel's Timeline
Corfham, Shropshire, England
Blackmere, Cornwall, England
August 29, 1396
Cornwall, England, United Kingdom
May 19, 1934
October 10, 1934
August 28, 1936
August 28, 1936
October 8, 1936