About Laina Heikkinen
- Name: Miss Laina Heikkinen
- Born: Saturday 25th January 1896
- Age: 26 years
- Last Residence: in Jyväiskylä Finland
- 3rd Class passenger
- First Embarked: Southampton on Wednesday 10th April 1912
- Ticket No. 3101282 , £7 18s 6d
- Destination: New York City New York United States
- Disembarked Carpathia: New York City on Thursday 18th April 1912
- Died: Thursday 9th September 1943
- Cause of Death: Cerebral Sclerosis
- Buried: Stewart Creek Cemetery Colombia County Oregon United States
Miss Laina Heikkinen, 26, was born in Jyväskylä, Finland, in 1886. She had one brother (Toivo, who died on 22.12.1940 of a heart-attack) and three sisters (Ida, Anna, Tyyne, who died all in the late 60's). Lainas father died at an early age, her mother lived longer.
Before coming to America (c. 1910), she worked in a laundry in Helsinki. In New York, she was a maid for two years. Lonely, she returned to Finland, to persuade her sister Tyyne to come with her to America but her mother would not allow it.
In April 1912 she left her home to board the steamer Polaris at Hangö (Hanko), Finland. She travelled to Hull via Copenhagen, before arriving at Southampton. Laina missed her intended ship due to the coal strike, she sailed on the Titanic. Her third class ticket was number 3101282, price: £7 18s 6d.