About Lauren Hotchkiss Roundy
First child and eldest son of Shadrach Roundy (1788 - 1872) and Betsey Quimby (1793 - 1880), Lauren Hotchkiss Roundy (also spelled 'Loren') was born 21 May 1815 at Spafford, Onondaga County, New York. A Mormon pioneer, Lauren and his first wife and two sons traveled to Utah Territory with the Abraham O. Smoot - Samuel Russell Company in 1847. Loren served his church as a Bishop and High Councilor, was an Indian War veteran, a farmer, and a husband to three wives with whom he had a total of 13 children. Although a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints during the time that some in the church practiced polygamy, Lauren was never married to more than one woman at a time. He died 11March 1900 at Knightville, Juab County, Utah, at the age of 85 and is buried at Evergreen Cemetery, Plot: Sec. B Lot 87, Springville, Utah County, Utah.
Marriages and Children
- Married Johanna Carter (1824 - 1847) on 16 Oct 1842, Nauvoo, Hancock, Illinois. Joanna died 5 Feb 1847 at Winter Quarters, Douglas, Iowa. Their children were:
- Byron Donalvin Roundy (29 January 1844 - 1912)
- William Heber Roundy (5 February 1846 - 1899) married Malinda Parker 20 August 1872
- Married Jane Ann Koyle (1831 - 1867) in April 1848. Together they had eight children. Jane died 25 April 1867 Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah Territory. Their children were:
- Julia Rebecca Roundy (1849 - 1852)
- Jared Washington Roundy (born 22 February 1851) married Louise Taylor
- Loren Roundy (born 30 November 1853)
- Hyrum Koyle Roundy (12 December 1854 - 1904) married Ann Chase
- Lauraette Roundy (12 May 1860 - 1934) married Thomas Nelson
- John Roundy (18 May 1864 - 1945) married Eleanor McEwan
- Lillian ("Lily") Jane Roundy, twin (born 25 December 1866) married Oliver Gallup
- Charles Lauren Roundy, twin (25 December 1866 - died in infancy)
- Married Martha Edminston (1849 - 1888) 1868, Springville, Utah County, Utah Territory. They had three children; Martha died 5 November 1888. Their children were:
- Luella Roundy (1869 - 1935) married Hyrum Perry
- Mary Ann Roundy (1870 - 1947) married Abner Dee Miner
- Adelbert Roundy (1872 - 1951)
Lauren Hotchkiss' Roundy (1815-1900) (son of Shadrach Roundy and Betsy Quimby). Born May 21, 1815, Spafford, Onondaga County, NY. Came to Utah September, 1847, handcart company.
Married Joanna Carter 1843, Nauvoo, Illinois. (daughter of John S. Carter of Nauvoo, Illinois, pioneer September, 1847), who died at Winter Quarters, Iowa. Their children: Byron Donalvln b. Jan. 29, 1844; William Heber b. Feb. 5, 1846. m. Malinda Parker Aug. 20, 1872. Family home, in Illinois.
Married Jane Ann Koyle, Salt Lake City (daughter of John Koyle of Mallahide, Canada), who was born Sept. 5, 1831. Their children: Julia b. 1849, d. In 1852; Jared Washington b. Feb. 22, 1851, m. Louise Taylor; Hyrum Koyle b. Dec. 12, 1854, m. Ann Chase; Laurette b. May 12, 1860, m. Thomas Nelson; John b. May 18, 1864, m. Eleanor McEwan; Lilly b. Dec. 25, 1866, m. Oliver Gallup; Charles b. Dec. 25, 1866, d. infant. Family resided Centerville and Springville, Utah.
Married Martha Edmondson. Their children: Luella, m. Hyrum Perry; Mary Ann, m. Abner Dee Miner; Adelbert.
Member bishopric of Spanish Fork; high councilor. Indian war veteran. Farmer. Died March, 1900, Knightsville, Utah..."
- Esshom, Frank Elwood; Pioneers and Prominent Men of Utah; Utah Pioneer Book Publishing Company; Salt Lake City, Utah; 1913.
- Madsen, Carol Cornwall. "Trail Excerpt, H. Gail Poulock." Journey to Zion: Voices from the Mormon Trail. Salt Lake City, UT: Deseret Book, 1997. N. pag. Print. Found online at Turn the Hearts website; published 27 April 2011; accessed 12 November 2012.
- Mounteer, Renée Rich. Shadrack and Betsy Roundy, Their Roots and Their Legacy. Springville, Utah: Self, C2007. Print. Includes bibliographical references and index; xxiv, 576 p. : ill., coats of arms, facsims., geneal. tables, maps, ports. Call number 929.273 R76m
- "Lauren Hotchkiss Roundy." Roundy Genealogy. Roundy Genealogy, 25 Mar. 2009. Web. 12 Nov. 2012. <http://roundyfamilyhistory.blogspot.com/2009/03/lauren-hotchkiss-roundy.html>.
- Find A Grave Memorial# 63749
Lauren Roundy's Timeline
May 21, 1815
Spafford, Onondaga, New York, USA
October 16, 1842
Nauvoo, Hancock, Illinois, United States
January 29, 1844
Nauvoo, Hancock, Illinois, USA
February 5, 1846
June 17, 1847
- September 25, 1847
Abraham O. Smoot - Samuel Russell Company (1847) departed the outfitting post on the Elkhorn River about 27 miles west of Winter Quarters, Nebraska, on 17 June 1847 and arrived in Utah on September 1847. Ninety-five individuals were in the company when it began its journey, including Betsey (then 53), her children Lauren Hotchkiss Roundy (then 32), Lorenzo Wesley Roundy (28), Jared Curtis Roundy (20), Nancy Jane Roundy (13); and their families.
February 22, 1851
Centerville, Davis, Utah Territory
November 30, 1853
December 12, 1854
Springville, Utah, Utah
December 25, 1859
Springville, Utah, Utah Territory