About Leo James Hyland
- Name: Mr Leo James Hyland
- Born: Monday 6th March 1893 in Liverpool Merseyside England
- Age: 19 years
- Marital Status: Single.
- Last Residence: in Southampton Hampshire England
- Occupation: Steward Victualling crew
- First Embarked: Southampton
- Rescued (boat 11)
- Disembarked Carpathia: New York City on Thursday 18th April 1912
- Died: Friday 14th June 1974
Leo James Hyland was born on 6th March 1893 in Liverpool and baptised 25 March 1893 at St. Anthony's Roman Catholic Church,Scotland Road.
He was one of four children born to John Charles and Catherine (nee Berrigan) Hyland.
He married Mary Delan 10 August 1923 at St.Joseph's RC, Bugle Street, Southampton
When he signed-on to the Titanic, on 4 April 1912, he gave his address as 55 Orchard Place, (St Marys, Southampton). His last ship had been the New York. As a third class steward he received monthly wages of £3 15s.
Hyland was rescued in lifeboat 11.
Notes He is usually listed as "Leo James Hyland" though his birth was registered as "James Leo Hyland".
Credits Chris Dohany, USA Peter Engberg-Klarström, Sweden Grahame Nicholls, UK
Related Articles and Documents
Southern Evening Echo (1958) ARTICLE Southern Evening Echo (1970) ARTICLE