About John Sutherland
John Sutherland, son of William Sutherland, 10th of Duffus, styled brother of the Laird of Duffus in 1649, when named on the Commission of Supply for the county of Elgin.
He became a lieutenant-colonel. He was dead before 23 January 1658, without issue. His brother William was by a clare constat declared his heir in the lands of Kinminitie and others in co. Banff, and was infeft in September 1662.
He married (contract dated 7 and 10 March 1656) Isabella, eldest daughter of David Ross of Balnagown, who survived him and was married (contract dated 9 May 1659) to James Innes of Lichnet, brother of Sir Robert Innes of that Ilk.
-  Acta Parl. Scot., vi. pt. 2, 192.
-  Part. Reg. Sas., Elgin, etc., v. 12.
-  Gen. Reg. Sas., vii. 186.
-  Part. Reg. Sas., Banff, ix. 109.
Sources: Balfour Paul, J. (1906) The Scots Peerage, vol. 3. Edinburgh: David Douglas.
(51) William Sutherland 10th of Duffus, died October 1626. He was served heir to his father 23rd and 30th April 1616. In 1612 he married Jean, daughter of John Grant of Freuchie, and had issue:
- 51(a) Alexander (No. 52 below).
- 51(b) William, ancestor of Sutherland of Evelix (No. 61 below).
- 51(c) Colonel John Sutherland, died s.p. before 3rd November 1657. He married, contract dated March 1656, Isabella, daughter of David Ross of Balnagown.
ARMS in Ponfs MS., 1624.Gules, a sangliers head couped argent, a cross crosslet between two mullets in chief, and a mullet between two cross crosslets in base fitchy or.