John Lindsay, 20th Earl of Crawford
Son of John Lindsay 19th Earl of Crawford and Amelia Fraser (Stewart)
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for Lieutenant-General John Lindsay, 20th Earl of Crawford
About Lieutenant-General John Lindsay, 20th Earl of Crawford
Lieutenant-General John Lindsay, 20th Earl of Crawford (4 October 1702 – 25 December 1749) was a Scottish peer and the first colonel of the Black Watch on its formation in 1739.
He was the son of Lt.-Gen. John Lindsay, 19th Earl of Crawford and Emilia Stuart and inherited his titles on the death of his father in 1714. He was educated at University of Glasgow and the Vaudeuil Military Academy, Paris.
He was commissioned into the 3rd Foot Guards in 1726, but later served in the Austrian and Russian armies before returning to Britain and taking command of the Black Watch (1739–1740). He was then Colonel of the 2nd Troop of Horse Grenadier Guards (1740–1743) and Colonel of the 4th Troop of Horse Guards ('Scottish Horse Guards') (1743–1746), fighting at the Battle of Dettingen on 16 June 1743. He gained the rank of Brigadier-General in 1744 and Major-General in 1745. He fought in the Jacobite Uprising in 1745 and the Battle of Fontenoy on 30 April 1745. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Fontenoy
He was Colonel of the 25th Foot (1746–1747). He fought in the Battle of Roucoux on 11 October 1746 and gained the rank of Lieutenant-General in 1747. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Roucoux
He was Colonel of the 2nd Dragoons ('Scots Greys') (1747–1749)
In 1732 he was elected Fellow of the Royal Society. In 1734 he was Grand Master of the Premier Grand Lodge of England.
He had married Lady Jean Murray, daughter of Lt.-Col. Sir James Murray, 2nd Duke of Atholl, in 1747 but she died only 9 months after their marriage. He died on 26 December 1749 from a head wound received at the Battle of Krotzka in 1739. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Krotzka
He was the last member of the Lindsay family to be buried in the mausoleum in the cemetery at Ceres, Fife, Scotland.