About Lilian Carter
- Name: Mrs Lilian Carter (née Hughes)
- Born: Sunday 3rd March 1867
- Age: 45 years
- Married to Ernest Courtenay Carter.
- Last Residence: in London London England
- 2nd Class passenger
- First Embarked: Southampton on Wednesday 10th April 1912
- Ticket No. 244252 , £26
- Died in the sinking.
- Body Not Recovered
Mrs Ernest Courtenay Carter (Lilian Hughes), 44, daughter of the Tom Hughes (writer of "Tom Brown at Oxford") was married to Rev Ernest Carter in 1890. They boarded the Titanic at Southampton.
During the voyage Mrs Carter befriended Marion Wright, and Kate Buss who would later name her daughter after Mrs Carter.
According to newspaper reports of the period Carter and his wife were given the opportunity to get into one of the lifeboats, but they refused saying "Let the others go first" and Mrs Carter resolutely refused to go with the women. "...they were a devoted couple and childless, and they died together."
Travelling Companions (on same ticket)
- Fr Ernest Courtenay Carter
References and Sources
- North Berks Herald - May 4, 1912, p7 col 1.
- St. John's College Register, Oxford