Mabel Helen Fortune
|Place of Burial:||Royal Oak Burial Park Victoria British Colombia Canada|
Daughter of Mark Fortune and Mary Fortune
|Managed by:||June Barnes|
Historical records matching Mabel Helen Fortune
About Mabel Helen Fortune
- Name: Miss Mabel Helen Fortune
- Born: Saturday 3rd November 1888
- Age: 23 years
- Last Residence: in Winnipeg Manitoba Canada
- 1st Class passenger
- First Embarked: Southampton on Wednesday 10th April 1912
- Ticket No. 19950 , £263
- Cabin No.: C23/25/27
- Rescued (boat 10)
- Disembarked Carpathia: New York City on Thursday 18th April 1912
- Died: Monday 19th February 1968
- Cause of Death: Heart Failure / Disease
- Buried: Royal Oak Burial Park Victoria British Colombia Canada
Miss Mabel Helen Fortune, 23, was born 3 November 1888, in Winnipeg, Manitoba, the daughter of Mark and Mary Fortune.
Mabel was described as blithe, unselfconscious and highly strung, she was attractive but spoiled. Much to her parents chagrin, she had fallen in love with a jazz musician from Minnesota, Harrison Driscoll. By inviting her to come to Europe with the family, Mark and Mary Fortune had hoped to stifle the romance by taking Mabel away for several months.
She boarded the Titanic at Southampton as a first class passenger. She travelled with her parents, her two sisters, Alice Elizabeth and Ethel Flora, and her brother, Charles Alexander Fortune. They occupied cabins C-23-25-27.
Her father and brother were lost in the sinking but the women were rescued in lifeboat 10 (?boat 7).
After the disaster she married Driscoll in 1913 and they had a son, Robert. But the marriage didn't last long. Shortly afterwards, Mabel left her husband to live with another woman she had met in Ottawa, Charlotte Armstrong. She put her son in boarding school, and for the rest of her life lived with Armstrong in Victoria, British Columbia.
Mabel Driscoll (née Fortune), died in Victoria, British Columbia on February 19, 1968 at the age of 79.
Travelling Companions (on same ticket)
- Mr Mark Fortune
- Mrs Mary Fortune
- Miss Ethel Flora Fortune
- Miss Alice Elizabeth Fortune
- Mr Charles Alexander Fortune
References and Sources
- Alan Hustak (1999) Titanic: The Canadian Story Vehicule Press, ISBN-1-55065-113-7
- Unidentified Newspaper (Victoria, B.C.) February 21, 1968, Obituary
- Province of British Columbia Registration of Death
- Mrs Robert Driscoll (Mabel Fortunes daughter-in-law)
- Pat Cook, USA
- Phillip Gowan, USA
- Alan Hustak, Canada
Mabel Helen Fortune's Timeline
November 3, 1888
February 19, 1968
Royal Oak Burial Park Victoria British Colombia Canada