|Also Known As:||"Samual"|
|Birthplace:||Caroline, Virginia Colony|
|Death:||Died in Lynchburg, Campbell, Virginia, USA|
|Place of Burial:||Lynchburg, Campbell, Virginia, USA|
|Managed by:||Private User|
Historical records matching Maj. Samuel Scott
About Maj. Samuel Scott
A Patriot of the American Revolution for VIRGINIA with the rank of MAJOR.
Samuel Scott --- D.A.R. Vol. 37, page 197: Maj. Samuel Scott was born March 14, 1754 in Caroline Co., VA, and died June 20, 1822 in Campbell Co., VA. He married Ann Roy June 17, 1784 in Spotsylvania Co., VA, daughter of John Roy and Ann Waller. She was born February 28, 1762, and died April 1, 1846 in Campbell Co., VA.
Notes for Maj. Samuel Scott: Samuel Scott served in the Revolution. His tombstone in the old Scott burying ground at gate of Barksdale house on Old Forest Road in Campbell County, VA., gives his rank as Major. In 1786 he purchased from Chiles Terrill of Albemarle, 400 acres on Turkey branch at Henry Tate's corner between lands of Benjamin Rucker and Terrill. This is where he built his home, on Forest Road, called Locust Thicket. There are a number of legal records that refer to "Major Scott's Plantation on the Forest Road."
As he prospered, Samuel added to his land holdings. By the time of his death in 1822, his main holdings amounted to 1,755 acres. A dispute between Major Scott and Thomas Jefferson over ownership of an adjoining tract, led to a suit filed by Scott in 1810. It was settled in favor of Jefferson. Major Scott was very upset over the decision and carried a grudge to his grave. However, revenge was his when after his death, his daughter and her husband bought all of Jefferson's Popular Forest from Jefferson's grandson, Francis Eppes.
In 1804 he was one of the justices of the peace in Campbell county. That year he patented 114 acres and 54 1/2 acres on Ivy Creek and the south branch of Ivy. The Court ordered the way viewed for a road from the Quaker Meeting House, running by Scott's Mill to the public road leading from Bedford to Lynchburg. In 1807 Edmund Tate petitioned for authority to erect a toll bridge across Blackwater creek on the road from the county line by Samuel Scott's property in Lynchburg.
Major Scott died in 1822 and his will then recorded on August 15, 1832, reserved for a burying-ground forever one acre of land back of his garden, gave his wife one half of the estate except the tract of land lying in Bedford, called the Ivy creek tract, which he devised to his son Samuel, and his mansion house and plantation at Locust Thicket. Samuel and son-in-law Gordon were appointed trustees of the property devised to his daughter, Belinda Roy; he had conveyed 250 acres of land in Bedford on Cheese creek (bounded by the lands of Benj. Wigginton, George Cabell and others), in trust a permanent provision for his daughter Aphire Beverley; to Marian Stanard he gave a lot in Lynchburg adjoining John Lynch and Wm. Radford. To Beverley was devised land lying in Bedford and Campbell, called Blankenship's tract, conveyed to him by deed November 1818. Samuel M. to receive two tracts, Locust Thicket and Ivy creek upon condition that he conveyed to executors in trust the track called Blackwater, hereafter conveyed to him. To his daughter Emily W. Burton, slaves, and a slave for grandson Philip and grandaughter Emily Burton. Executors, J. M. Gordon, Beverley R. and Samuel M. Scott.
Ann Roy Scott, Beverley Roy Scott and several other family members are also buried in the rock walled cemetery in the corner of the Locust Thicket property.
In 1858, Henry W. Barksdale bought Locust Thicket. Thereafter it was known as the "Barksdale Place." In 1864, during the Civil War, 4,000 Union Cavalry drew up a line of battle on Barksdale's Farm on the Forest Road for the attack on Lynchburg. Many Civil War artifacts have been uncovered. A fine Southern wallpaper, stripped from the walls, bore traces of bullet holes inflicted in the war. Fragments of the various wallpapers were given to Point of Honor (owned by Major Scott's physician, Dr, George Cabell) and to the Smithsonian's Cooper-Hewitt Museum of Decorative Arts in New York. Evidence of former elegances is seen in the marbleized front stairway and grained doors, which were probably done after Major Scott's time.
"Locust Thicket" was not located in the original Old Lynchburg. The house became a part of Lynchburg through annexation from Campbell County. Today, it is one of the oldest homes in the City. It is the home of Jackson's Antiques, 2627 Old Forest Road,. The Jacksons acquired the property in 1967.
Son of Thomas Scott and Martha Williams Scott; Father to Emily Williams Scott-Burton; my 5th Great-Grandfather. - Rick Lewis.
Find a Grave Family links:
- Ann Roy Scott (1762 - 1838)
- Emily Williams Scott Burton (1790 - 1827)*
Burial: Scott Cemetery Lynchburg Lynchburg City Virginia, USA
Maintained by: Adriana Originally Created by: Rick Lewis
- Genealogies of Virginia Families: From Tyler's Quarterly ..., Volume 1 By Genealogical Publishing Company, Incorporated. Page 264
Maj. Samuel Scott's Timeline
March 14, 1754
Caroline, Virginia Colony
November 2, 1790
Campbell, Virginia, USA
June 20, 1822
Lynchburg, Campbell, Virginia, USA
Lynchburg, Campbell, Virginia, USA