Margaret Hill (Rodney)
|Birthplace:||Rodney Stoke, Somerset, England, (Present UK)|
|Death:||(Date and location unknown)|
|Managed by:||Carole (Erickson) Pomeroy, Vol. ...|
Matching family tree profiles for Margaret Hill (Rodney)
About Margaret Hill (Rodney)
- The Antiquary, Volume 32 edited by Edward Walford, John Charles Cox, George Latimer Apperson
- Pg. 223 CHART
- Denyse, or Dionisia (3rd husband), dau. of John Durborough (? Sir J. D., of Heathfield, near Taunton, who d. 16 Ed. III.). She mar. (1) Martin Langdon; (2) Robert Challons, of Challonsleigh, Devon (son - Ralph); d. before 1392 = SIR JOHN HILL (or HULLE), knight, of Hill's Court, St. Sidwell's Exeter. Probably of a Somersetshire family. (? Recorder of Exeter, 1379); King's Serjeant, 1382; Justice of King's Bench, 1389. Had a grant of Houndstone, near Yeovil; ? June 24 1408., and was bur. in St. John Baptist's Priory, Exeter, where his two wives were also bur. = Maud, or Matilda (2nd husband), dau. of Sir Giles Daubeny (d. c. 1386), of Barrington, Somerset. She mar. (1) Sir Hy. Percehay, of Chalsfield, Wilts, Baron of Exchequer, Etc. (d. c. 1380); and (3) Sir Robert Latymer, of Duntish, in Dorset; she d. April 21, 1416.
- CHILDREN of Dionisa Durborough & John Hill
- Robert, of Spaxton; Sheriff of Somerset; d. April 25, 1423. = Isabella (b. 1383; living 1416). dau. and heir of Sir Thos. Fychet, of Spaxton, near Bridgewater, and Ricarda his wife, heir of families of Ingpen, Cobham, and De Halton; holding great estates in Somerset, Devon, and Cornwall, and manor of Westcote in Inkpen.
- CHILDREN of Isabella Fychet & Robert Hill
- John, b. before 1402; d. Oct. 21 (? 14), 1434. = Cicely, dau. of John Stourton, of Preston, near Yeovil, by his second wife (? Joan, dau. of Wm. Banastre, of Radstock); coheir of father and mother. She mar. (2) Sir Thomas Keryell, of Westonhanger, near Dover (exec. 1461); d. April 18, 1472.
- CHILDREN of Cicely Stourton and John Hill
- John, b. 1424; d. Oct. 12, 1455. = Margaret, dau. of Sir Walter Rodney and granddau. of Walter, Lord Hungerford.
- Thomas; d. s.p.
- Elizabeth (ultimately sole heir). = John Cheney, of Pinhoe, near Exeter; several time Sheriff of Devon, son of Sir Wm. Cheney (d. 1421).
- CHILDREN of Margaret Rodney & John Hill
- Genoveia, b. Aug., 1455; d. c. 1480; mar. Sir Wm. Say (d. Dec. 4, 1529), of Sawbridgeworth, but had only one child, which died with its mother. Sir Wm. mar. (2) Elizabeth, widow of Sir T. Walgrave.
- Parochial and family history of the parishes of St. Mabyn and Michaelstow in the county of Cornwall
- The pedigree of the family of Hill of Heligan, recorded at the Herald's Visitation of Cornwall in 1620, which is attested by "Humphrye Hyll," commences with Robert Hill, or Hyll, who married Margaret daughter and heir of Peter Fauntleroy. A pedigree in the British Museum carries the pedigree several generations higher, stating that this Robert Hill, was the son of Giles Hill, the son of Robert Hill, the son of Ralph Hill, the son of John Hill of Spaxton, by a second marriage with Maud daughter of Sir Giles Daubenay. Whether any portion of these descents may be accurate or not we cannot say, but it is certain that John Hill of Spaxton had no son, as we have already shown (Hist, of Trigg, vol. ii, p. 28). He died in 1455, leaving as his heir, by Margaret daughter of Sir William Rodney, an infant daughter, aged eight weeks. This young lady, in due time, became the wife of Sir William Saye of Broxbourne, co. Herts, and died before her husband sp., and the estates devolved upon the issue of her aunts as her nearest heirs. (Vide Ped. ibid pp. 42, 43.)
- Sir John Hill of Hill's Court (in Exeter, Devon) (a 1362, d 1408, Sergeant-at-law, justice)
- m1. Dionysia Durborough (b 1340, d 13.10.1387, dau of Sir John Durborough)
- Although various web sites show the above Sir John as father of the Sir Robert who is shown in the section below as 1st of Shilston (ancestor of Sir Moyses Hill of Hillsborough and through him of the Marquesses of Lothian, Lodge identifies that Sir Robert as Sir John's "relation and comtemporary" We suspect that there has been confusion between that Sir Robert and ...
- 1. Robert Hill (d 1423)
- m. Isabel Fichett, heiress of Spaxton (dau of Sir Thomas Fichett of Perry Fichett)
- A. John Hill of Spaxton (d 1434)
- m. Cicely Sturton (dau of John Sturton of Preston Plucknett by Joan, dau of William Banaster of Wheathill)
- i. John Hill (b 1424)
- m1. Margaret Rodney (dau of Sir Walter Rodney of Rodney Stoke, son of John by Ann Croftes)
- a. daughter m. __ Walgrave
- b. Jenoflekke (Genofeffe = Genevieve?) Hill m. Sir William Say of Hartsnest (dsp 1529)
- ii. Elizabeth Hill m. John Cheyne of Pinhoe
**2. Joan Hill
- * m. John Malet (son/heir of Sir B. Malet)
- 3. Margaret Hill probably of this generation, presumed of this marriage
- m (1407) William Harington or Harrington, 5th Lord (d.03.03.1457-8)
- m2. Matilda/Maud Daubeney (dau of Sir G. Daubeney of Barrington) Weaver causes some confusion by showing Matilda as 2nd wife of Sir John and also again (as Maud) as 2nd wife of the John shown above as married to Margaret Rodney. The dates support the view that this was an error.
- From Stirnet.com