Margaretha Hoefnagels, SM/PROG
|Also Known As:||"Margaretha Schacklemann; Gildenhuysen; Gildenhuizen; Gelhuysen; Geldenhuys;", "Margaretha Gildenhuisz"|
|Birthplace:||Harderwijk, Gelderland, Netherlands|
|Death:||Died in Cape of Good Hope, South Africa|
Daughter of Arend Hoefnagels and Margaretha (Grietje) Cornelisz
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for Margaretha Hoefnagels, SM/PROG
About Margaretha Hoefnagels, SM/PROG
Bruidegom Hendrick Schaeckelman weduwnaar van Maria Hipsel , wonend te Havestraet, Oost Bruid Margaretha Hoefnagel,wonend te Loijerstraet Plaats Leiden Datum ondertrouw 28-06-1669 138 T 196 DTB Leiden inv. 12 Nederlands Hervormd Ondertrouw (1575-1712) , folio 172
Notes from Corney Keller's article in Familia 50 (1) 2013)
Margaretha Hoefnagels, wife of Albert Barends Gildenhuisz of Burgsteinfurt, is the‘Stammoeder’ of the Gildenhuizens, Geldenhuizens and Geldenhuyses in South Africa.
Published sources suggest that -
- she was from Leiden, Holland; (Most popular)
- she was from Harderwijk, Gelderland in the Dutch Republic;
- she was from Legden near Burgsteinfurt (today North Rhine-Westphalia)
Marriage entry of Arent Gildenhuys and Judith Smith. 28 Dec: 1698 Arent Gildenhuijs van Lyden jongm: met Judith Smith vande Caep jongd
Arent Gildenhuys was the son of Albert Barents Gildenhuys and Margaretha Hoefnagels.
Baptism entry in the baptismal registers of the Lootskerk (Nederduits-gereformeerd) in year 1672- 24 April:
- Arent (Child)
- Albert Barents Margarita Hoeffnagels (parents)
- Henrik Barentsdr Grietjen Cornelisdr (godparents)
Margaretha Hoefnagels marriages Leiden to 1. Hendrick Schaeckelman in 1669, and 2. Aelbert Baerentsz in 1671.
Aenge[tek:] den viij Januarij 1671 (previous folio)
Aelbert Baerentsz witmaecker jongman van Borch Steenvoorde woond: inde Oude Loyerstraet vergs.met Leendert Jansz van Wijckvliet sijn bekende uid’t Clooster van Nasereth met Margareta Hoeffnagels, wedue van Heyndrick Schaeckelman, woond: inde Loyerstraet vergs.met Marya Arens van Erckelant haer bekend opde Oude Rijn ende met Susanna Feys haer bekend in ’t Clooster van Nasereth
Established from the above and the Banns entry given in the article
- Aelbert Baerentsz was a tanner (witmaker) by trade, making soft, thin white-leather (chamois-like) used in bookmaking
- He resided in Leiden in the Looijersstraat (Looijer = tanner)
- He was born in Burch Steenvoorden, which is Burgsteinfurt in Münsterland, present-day Steinfurt in North Rhine-Westphalia
- He had a friend called Leendert Jansz van Wijckvliet who* assisted him with his ‘ondertrouw’ (also a tanner by trade and husband of Susanna Feys who assisted Margarieta),
- Margarieta Hoefnagels was the widow of Hendrick * Schaeckelman
- She resided in the Looijersstraat
- She was assisted by two friends called Marya Arens van Erckelant and Susanna Feys.
Aenge[t:] Den 28 Juni 1669 (previous page)
<moet attestie van Harderwyck overbregen> (in the left margin)
Hendrick Schaeckelman wed:r van Maria Hipsel, wond: inde Oost Havestraet verges: met Willem Spycker [hem] bekend inde Princestraet met Margaretha Hoefnagel jongedr van Harderwyck wond. ynde Loyerstraet verges: met Marija Arents van Erckel haer bekend op de Oude Ryn
Suggesting that Margaretha Hoefnagels (who married Hendrick Schaeckelman) is the same one that married Aelbert Baerentsz one and a half years later.
- Margaretha Hoefnagels was a spinster
- She resided in the Looijersstraat
- She was assisted by Marija Arents van Erckel who also assisted her at her marriage to Aelbert Barentsz
- She was from Harderwijk – born there, and they still had to present an attestation from the church authorities in Harderwijk - implying that either one or both were still members of the congregation there..
Harderwijk, Gelderland -marriage register for 1650-1736 thefollowing notice of marriage intentions for Margarita Hoefnagels:
[marriage entry on 13 Jun 1669]
<Attest. na Leiden> (left margin)
Henrik Scharcher* wed:r van Camen, en Margarita Hoefnagels j.d. van Hardwijk beide woonen tot Leiden
*(does not correspond with Henrick Schaeckelman)
The entry suggests that Margarita Hoefnagels was therefore from Harderwijk. The couple however reside in Leiden.
The usual age for spinsters getting married was between twenty-five and thirty years. Margaretha may have been born between 1639 and 1645.
The ‘Doopboek 1618-1649’ have a number of baptisms for ‘Hoefnagel’ children:
- 26 Dec 1640 17 Jacobgen, Arnout Houffnaegels, ende Jannetgen Willems, dochter
- 25 Jun 1643 18 Leenhart, Arent Leenhartss, ende Jannetgen Willems, soon
- 1 Jan 1647 19 Willem, Arent Leenartss Hoeffnagels, ende Jannetgen Willems, soon
- 28 Mar 1649 20 Margrietgen, Arent Hoeffnagels, & Grietgen Cornelis, dochter
Margaretha’s parents are named as Arent Hoeffnagels and Grietgen Cornelis. Grietgen Cornelisdr possibly the same Grietgen Cornelisdr who was godparent to Margaretha and Aelbert Barentsz son Arent in 1672? Margaretha named her son after her father.
In the ‘Trouwboek 1591-1649’ are two entries for Arnoldt Houfnagel:
1. [marriage entry on 23 Feb 1640]
<confirm.  Martij> (left margin)
Arnoldt Houfnagel van Hunsdorff uijt het land van Gulic, weduwe:r
hier woenende Janneken Wilhems jonge dochter van Harderwijc
Arnoldt Houfnagel, a widower of Hunsdorff in the Duchy of Jülich and Janneken Wilhems married in March 1640. They had three children from 1640 to 1647. They do not appear as a couple after 1647.
2. [marriage entry on 12 Sep 1647]
<Confirmati den 29 7bris> (left margin)
Arnoldus Hoefnagel, weduwenaar, hijr woonende, Grietgen Cornelis j.d. van Harderwijk
Arnoldus Hoefnagel, a widower and Grietgen Cornelis married in September 1647, eight months after the baptism of Willem Hoefnagel. The church registers show no other Hoefnagel families in Harderwijk at this time. It is reasonable to assume that Arnoldt Houfnagel and Arnoldus Hoefnagel are one and the same person.
At the baptisms of his children he is named once as Arnout and Arent on the the other occasions. His origin is not clear and is complicated by another piece of information, not from the church registers, but from the Poorterboek (Burgherboek) of Harderwijk (1436-1808), which recorded all persons who gained the right of citizenship. An entry on 8 September 1641 is for Arndt Hoefnagel from Ranglo in Gulik is made citizen of Harderwijk by the councillors Goram Hoeclum and Veynbergen.
Records at the Cape
- 18 Nov 1673, Maria Hendricksz of Borghstijnsfurt married Pieter Jansz van Westhuijsen. She is said to be the widow of Hendrick Barentsz
- 11 May 1674 Aalbert Barentsz and Margarita Hoeffnagels baptised a daughter Elsje. No witnesses are recorded
- 6 October 1675 Margarita Hoeffnagels is witness at the baptism of Maria, daughter of Pieter Jansz van Westhuijsen and Maria Hendricx van Borghsteinfurt
- 21 December 1676 Maria Hendricks is witness at the baptism of Barent, child of Albert Barendtsz and Margaritha Hoofnagel
- 9 May 1677 Albert Barentsz is witness at the baptism of Jan, child of Pieter Jansz van Westhuisen and Maria Hendricks
- 27 October 1678 Albert Barents and Margarita Hoefnagels baptised a child named Barent. No witnesses are recorded
- 7 May 1679, Claes, child of Pieter Janssen van Westhuisen en Maria Pieters is baptised. No witnesses are recorded and the mother is named as Maria Pieters and not Maria Hendricks. The source of this conflict may be an error in the baptism entry. After her death, an inventory/appraisal of her possessions is made on 27 Jul 1703, naming Klaas, aged twenty-four, as her son.
- 9 June 1680 Maria Hendricks is witness at the baptism of Margarita, child of Albert Barens and Margarita Hoefnagels
- 16 March 1681 Margarita Hoefnagels is witness at the baptism of Barent, child of Pieter Janssen van Westhuisen and Maria Hendricks
- 6 September 1682 Maria Hendricks is witness at the baptism of Barent, child of Albert Barints and Margarita Hoefnagel
- 27 June 1683 Margarita Hoefnagels seems to be a witness (from the
context and appearance of the entry) at the baptism of Helena, child of Pieter van Westhuisen and Maria Hendricks
- 8 October 1684 Albert Barrents Gylhuis and Margarita Hoefnagels baptised a child named Margarita. No witnesses are recorded
- 3 June 1686 Margarita Hoefnagels is witness at the baptism of Hendrick, child of Pieter Jansen Westhuisen and Maria Hendricks
- 2 February 1687 Albert Barents and Margarita Hoefnagels baptised a child named Hendrick. No witnesses are recorded
- 2 October 1689 Maria Hendriks is witness at the baptism of Anna, child of Margrietta Hoefnaagels and Albert Gilderhu[.]
- 24 September 1690 Albert Barents and Margarita Hoefnagels are witnesses to the baptism of Pijter, child of Pijter van de Westhuijsen and Maria Hendriks
- Margaretha Hoefnagels by Corney Keller - Familia 50 (1) 2013
Margaretha Hoefnagels, SM/PROG's Timeline
March 28, 1649
March 28, 1649
Burgsteinfurt, Wesfale, Germany
April 24, 1672
Steinfurt, Münster, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany
May 11, 1674
Cape Town, Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
Cape, South Africa
Cape, South Africa
June 9, 1680
Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
September 6, 1682
Cape of Good Hope