About Margaretta Corning "Daisy" Spedden (Stone)
- Name: Mrs Margaretta Corning Spedden (née Stone)
- Born: Tuesday 19th November 1872
- Age: 39 years
- Last Residence: in Tuxedo Park New York United States
- 1st Class passenger
- First Embarked: Cherbourg on Wednesday 10th April 1912
- Ticket No. 16966 , £134 10s
- Cabin No.: E34
- Destination: Tuxedo Park New York United States
- Rescued (boat 3)
- Disembarked Carpathia: New York City on Thursday 18th April 1912
- Died: Friday 10th February 1950
Mrs Frederic Oakley Spedden (Margaretta Corning Stone) known as "Daisy" was born in 1872 in Morristown, New Jersey. She lived, with her husband Frederic and son Douglas at Wee Wah Lodge in Tuxedo Park, NY.
Daisy enjoyed photography and travelling and kept detailed diaries of their journeys overseas.
The year after their experience on the Titanic Daisy wrote and illustrated a small storybook that she gave to her son Douglas for Christmas. "My Story" was told through the eyes of a toy bear, and describes the European travels, the sinking of the Titanic and the subsequent rescue.
Following the death of young Douglas in 1915, Daisy stopped writing her diaries but continued with her photography and travels. Daisy and Frederick continued to divide their time between Tuxedo Park and Bar Harbor until Frederick's death in 1947. Daisy died February 10, 1950 at the age of 77.
Some forty years later Mr Leighton H. Coleman III, a relative of Daisy's, discovered Daisy's diaries, photo albums and the storybook in a trunk in the attic. He has had the storybook fully illustrated, and published under the title "Polar, the Titanic Bear".
Travelling Companions (on same ticket)
- Miss Elizabeth Margaret Burns
- Mr Frederic Oakley Spedden
- Master Robert Douglas Spedden
- Miss Helen Alice Wilson
References and Sources
- New York Times, February 11, 1950
- Daisy Spedden Polar, the Titanic Bear. Edited by Leighton H. Coleman III
- Colonel Archibald Gracie (1913) The Truth about the Titanic. New York, Mitchell Kennerley
- Dave Aldworth, USA
- Leighton H. Coleman III, USA
- Phillip Gowan, USA
Margaretta Corning "Daisy" Spedden's Timeline
November 19, 1872
New Jersey, USA
November 19, 1905
New York City, USA
February 10, 1950