Margery Butler (de Burgh)
|Birthplace:||Galway, Galway City, Galway, Ireland|
Daughter of Richard Mór de Burgh, 1st Baron of Connaught and Egidia de Lacy, Lady of Connacht
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for Margery De Burgh
About Margery De Burgh
'Margery de Burgh (died after 1 March 1253), was a Norman- Irish noblewoman and the wife of Theobald Le Botiller. She was a descendant of Brian Boru, High King of Ireland, and the ancestress of the Earls of Ormond.
'Margery de Burgh was born in Ireland, the eldest daughter of Richard Mor de Burgh, Lord of Connacht and Justiciar of Ireland, and Egidia de Lacy. She had three brothers and three sisters, including Walter de Burgh, 1st Earl of Ulster who married Aveline FitzJohn, by whom he had issue.
'Margery's paternal grandparents were William de Burgh and More O'Brien, a granddaughter of Dermot MacMurrough, and a descendant of Brian Boru. Her maternal grandparents were Walter de Lacy, Lord of Trim Castle in Meath and Ludlow Castle in Shropshire, and Margaret de Braose.
'Sometime before 1242, Margery married Theobald Le Botiller (1224–1248), the eldest son of Theobald le Botiller, Chief Butler of Ireland and his first wife, Joan, daughter of Geoffrey de Marsh (or Mareys), Knt., Justiciar of Ireland.
'Margery and Theobald had two children:
- Theobald Le Botiller (1242- 26 September 1285), who married, in 1268, Joan FitzJohn ( died 26 May 1303), daughter of John FitzGeoffrey, Justiciar of Ireland, and Isabel Bigod. Joan was a younger sister of his uncle's wife, Aveline FitzJohn. The marriage produced issue, from whom descended the Earls of Ormond.
- Elizabeth Butler (Le Botiller)
'Margery's husband died in 1248. He was buried before 3 August 1248 at Arklow, Co. Limerick. On 27 April 1250, she made a fine to remarry.
'Margery de Burgh died on an unrecorded date after 1 March 1253.
- 1.^ Charles Cawley, Medieval Lands, Earls of Ulster
- 2.^ thePeerage.com
- 1.Charles Cawley, Medieval Lands, Earls of Ulster
- 'Margery de Burgh1,2
- 'F, #11130, d. after 1 March 1253
- Father Richard de Burgh, Lord Connaught, Justiciar of Ireland2 b. c 1200, d. c 17 Feb 1243
- Mother Hodierna de Gernon d. 1219
- ' Margery de Burgh married Theobald le Boteler, son of Theobald le Botiller (Butler) and Joan de Marais, before 1242.2 Margery de Burgh died after 1 March 1253.
- 'Family Theobald le Boteler d. 1248
- Theobald le Boteler (Butler)+2 b. c 1242, d. 26 Sep 1285
- 1.[S2919] Unknown author, The Complete Peerage, by Cokayne, Vol. II, p. 449; Burke's Peerage, 1938, p. 1909.
- 2.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. I, p. 376.
- From: http://our-royal-titled-noble-and-commoner-ancestors.com/p371.htm#i11130
- 'Margery de Burgh1
- 'F, #195855, d. after 1 March 1252/53
- Last Edited=11 Jun 2006
- ' Margery de Burgh was the daughter of Richard de Burgh.1 She married Theobald Butler, son of Theobald le Botiller and Joan du Marais, before 1242.1 She died after 1 March 1252/53.1
- ' From before 1242, her married name became Butler.1 On 27 April 1250 she made a fine to remarry.1
- 'Child of Margery de Burgh and Theobald Butler
- 1.Theobald Butler+1 b. c 1242, d. 26 Sep 1285
- 1.[S6] G.E. Cokayne; with Vicary Gibbs, H.A. Doubleday, Geoffrey H. White, Duncan Warrand and Lord Howard de Walden, editors, The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain and the United Kingdom, Extant, Extinct or Dormant, new ed., 13 volumes in 14 (1910-1959; reprint in 6 volumes, Gloucester, U.K.: Alan Sutton Publishing, 2000), volume II, page 449. Hereinafter cited as The Complete Peerage.
- From: http://www.thepeerage.com/p19586.htm#i195855
- 'Theobald BUTLER
- Born: ABT 1223
- Died: 1248
- Father: Theobald Le BOTILLER (Chief Butler of Ireland)
- Mother: Joan Du MARAIS
- 'Married: Margery De BURGH ABT 1242
- 1. Theobald BUTLER
- 2. Elizabeth BUTLER
- From: http://www.tudorplace.com.ar/BUTLER.htm#Theobald BUTLER1
Margery De Burgh's Timeline
Galway, Galway City, Galway, Ireland
Arklow, Wicklow, Wicklow, Ireland