Maria van Egmond (van Arkel)
|Birthplace:||Arkel, Zuid Holland, Netherlands|
|Death:||Died in Ijsselstein, Utrecht, Netherlands|
|Place of Burial:||Ijsselstein, Utrecht, NLD|
|Managed by:||Ike Haitsma Mulier - Roelfsema|
About Maria van Egmond
Maria van Arkel
Maria van Arkel (c. 1385 – 19 July 1415) was the only daughter and heiress of Lord John V of Arkel and Joanna of Jülich. She inherited the title to Gelderland from her maternal uncle, Duke Reginald IV, and her son became Arnold, Duke of Gelderland. She was the paternal grandmother of Mary of Guelders, who became Queen of Scots.
Her maternal grandparents were William II, Duke of Jülich and Maria of Guelders, daughter of Reginald II of Guelders and his first wife, Sophia Berthout of Mechelen. Her maternal uncle was William I of Guelders and Jülich.
Her father, John of Arkel (died 25 August 1428), was the son of Otto of Arkel and Isabelle de Bar, daughter of Theobald de Bar, seigneur de Pierrepont. John of Arkel was the "dearest foe" of William II, Duke of Bavaria.
Duke Reginald of Guelders, her uncle, arranged the marriage between the beautiful Maria of Arkel and the Hollander noble, John of Egmond. They were married on 24 June 1409. Their children were:
- 1. Arnold of Egmond, Duke of Guelders
- 2. William II Lord of Egmont and IJsselstein, stadtholder of Guelders
- Maria von Arkel1,2
- F, #17899, b. circa 1389, d. 18 July 1415
- Father Johann XII, Lord of Archlen, Hagestein, Pierrepont, & Ameide b. 1363, d. 25 Aug 1428
- Mother Johanna von Julich b. c 1364
- Maria von Arkel Heiress of Arcklen and Guelder. She was born circa 1389 at of Arkel, Zeeland, Netherlands. She married Johann II, Lord of Egmont, son of Arnold (Arend) I, Lord Egmond & Ysselstein and Yolantha von Leiningen, on 23 June 1409 at Arkel, Gelderland, Netherlands. Maria von Arkel died on 18 July 1415.
- Family Johann II, Lord of Egmont b. c 1385, d. 4 Jan 1451
- Arnold, Duke of Guelders, Lord Egmond+ b. 1410, d. 24 Feb 1473
- Wilhelm, Herr von Egmond & Leerdam+2 b. 26 Jan 1412, d. 19 Jan 1483
- [S5242] Unknown author, Lineage and Ancestry of HRH Prince Charles by Paget, p. 196; Europaische Stammtafeln by Isenburg, chart 168, Vol. 5.
- [S11569] Europaische Stammtafeln, by Wilhelm Karl, Prinz zu Isenburg, Vol. VI, Tafel 35.
- From: http://our-royal-titled-noble-and-commoner-ancestors.com/p596.htm#i17899
- Maria van Arkel-Pierrepont1
- F, #4690, b. 1389, d. 19 July 1415
- Last Edited=5 Oct 2013
- Consanguinity Index=0.57%
- Maria van Arkel-Pierrepont was born in 1389 at Arkel, The Netherlands.1 She was the daughter of Johan VII Heer van Arkel Heer van Pierrepont en Hagestein and Johanna von Jülich.1 She married Johan II Heer van Egmont, son of Arnold Heer van Egmont Heer van Ijsselstein and Yolantha von Leiningen-Dagsburg, on 23 June 1409 at Arkel, The Netherlands.1 She died on 19 July 1415.1
- Children of Maria van Arkel-Pierrepont and Johan II Heer van Egmont
- Arnold van Egmont Hertog van Gelre Graaf van Zutphen+ b. 14 Jul 1410, d. 23 Feb 1473
- Willem IV Heer van Egmont Heer van Ijsselstein Schoonderwoerd en Haastrecht+1 b. 26 Jan 1412, d. 19 Jan 1483
- [S3268] Hans Harmsen, "re: Chester Family," e-mail message to Darryl Roger Lundy, 21 August 2008. Hereinafter cited as "re: Chester Family."
- From: http://www.thepeerage.com/p469.htm#i4690
Maria van Egmond's Timeline
Arkel, Zuid Holland, Netherlands
July 14, 1410
Slot O Hoef,Egmond-Binnen,Noord-Holland,Netherlands
January 26, 1412
Egmond aan den Hoef, Bergen (NH), North Holland, The Netherlands
July 19, 1415
Ijsselstein, Utrecht, Netherlands
Ijsselstein, Utrecht, NLD