Martha's Top Matches
About Martha Hayward (Washington)
Martha Washington was born on 13 January 1649/50 in Tring, Hertfordshire, England and died between 6 May 1697 (will written) and 08 December 1697 (will probated) in Virginia. She resided in Stafford, Virginia. She immigrated to Virginia in 1678.
- Parents: Lawrence Washington (1602-1652) & Amphyllis Twigden (-1654)
- after 1678 in Virginia to Samuel Hayward, (abt 1646-abt 1695) Burgess and Clerk of Stafford County, VA. He was the son of Nicholas Hayward of London, merchant. No known children.
- ... Item I give and bequeath unto John Washington, William Washington, Elizabeth Washington, Margarett Washington & Martha Washington (children of the said Amphilis Washington my daughter in Lawe) The some of Eight and Twenty poundes a peece of Curr' mony to be paid to them att theire seu'all & respective Ages of One and Twenty years, To be putt out in the meane tyme for theire best benefitt & advantage And my will and meaning is that if any of the said ffiue children viz' John, William, Elizabeth, Margarett and Martha Washington shall happen to die before his her or theire Legacie or Legacies shall become due & payable, That then the Legacie or Legacies of him, her or them soe dying shalbe equally divided amongst the rest of them the said five children surviving. ... from the will of Andrew Knowling of Tring, 1649 Source: An examination of the English ancestry of George Washington ..., Volume 165 By Henry Fitz-Gilbert Waters. Page 10.
- Inherited substantially from brother Col John Washington
- Her will mentions Washington nephews in VA & sisters Elizabeth & Margaret
- David Faris, Plantagenet Ancestry of 17th Century Colonists (Genealogical Publishing Co., Baltimore, MD, 1996)al Publishing Co., Page: 1st ed, p. 275, "Washington"
- George Washington - The Human Being & Hero 1732-1762. Rupert Hughes. William Morrow & Company, 1926. Page 10.
- W.G. Stanard. The Descendants of Two John Washingtons (Virginia Magazine of History and Biography vols. XXII-XXVI, (1914-18); reprinted in Genealogies of Virginia Families vol. V (1981)), Page 771.
- Gary Boyd Roberts. The Royal Descents of 600 Immigrants. Genealogical Publishing, 2004. Page 305.
- Douglas Richardson, Kimball G. Everingham. Plantagenet ancestry: a study in colonial and medieval families. Page 755. (see document, attached.)