|Birthplace:||New York, New York, USA|
|Death:||Died in At Sea - Titanic Casualty|
|Cause of death:||Died in the sinking. Body Not Recovered|
|Managed by:||June Barnes|
About Martin Rothschild
- Name: Mr Martin Rothschild
- Born: Tuesday 12th December 1865
- Age: 46 years
- Last Residence: in New York City New York United States
- 1st Class passenger
- First Embarked: Cherbourg on Wednesday 10th April 1912
- Ticket No. 17603 , £59 8s
- Died in the sinking.
- Body Not Recovered
Mr Martin Rothschild was born on 12th December 1865, the fifth and youngest child of Samson and Mary Rothschild, Prussian immigrants. Martin's parents came to America in 1848 and settled in Alabama. They moved to New York in 1868.
Rothschild was a successful clothing manufacturer based in New York City. He was married to Elizabeth Jane Barrett on 2nd June 1895.
They boarded the Titanic at Cherbourg (ticket No. PC 17603, £59, 8s).
After the collision steward Frederick Dent Ray saw Mr Rothschild coming out of his stateroom on C deck. "I spoke to him and asked him where his wife was. He said she had gone off in a boat. I said, 'This is rather serious.' He said, 'I don't think there's any occasion for it.'" Then the two men casually walked up to A deck where Ray went to a lifeboat.
Mr Rothschild perished in the disaster. His body, if recovered, was never identified.
Travelling Companions (on same ticket)
- Mrs Elizabeth Jane Anne Rothschild
References and Sources
- Contract Ticket List, White Star Line 1912 (National Archives, New York; NRAN-21-SDNYCIVCAS-55)
- Marriages, births, deaths and injuries that have occurred on board during the voyage (PRO London, BT 100/259-260)
- United States Senate (62nd Congress), Subcommittee Hearings of the Committee on Commerce, Titanic Disaster, Washington 1912
- Margot Badenhausen, USA
- John Pulos, USA