About Mary Bassett
Imprisoned for Witchcraft on 23 May 1692 in Salem Massachusetts. The Governor of the Colony had appointed a Commission of Judges to hold a court trail. Fourteen women and five men were hanged on Gallow's Hill near Salem. In 1693, twent-one peresons were tried, and eighteen were acquitted and three condemned. The Governor ordered one hundred fifty persons liberated and the Witchcraft trials ended.
Mary was imprisoned for 6 months
Mary Bassett was mentioned in the will of her father as Mary Ruck or Rich.
Source: 'Lilly Families in America', Charles Lilly, 1976, p 5. 'Salem Possessed', Paul Boyer & Stephen Nissenbaum, 1974, p 182, 184. 'The Devil Discovered', Enders A. Robinson, 1991, p 280, 290.
1692 NEng/MA Salem (V)* 1 DeRich, Mary f (Aka Rich, Mary de) Examined. Sister of Elizabeth Proctor and daughter of the Lynn Quaker, William Bassett Sr. (Sources: Boyer and Nissenbaum. The Salem Witchcraft papers. 1977; Heyrman, Christine. Commerce and Culture, The Maritime Communities of
Mary Bassett's Timeline
March 8, 1649
Lynn, Essex, Massachusetts, USA
July 25, 1668
Salem, Essex, Massachusetts, United States
New Haven, New Haven, Connecticut, USA