About Mary Hatch
- The New England historical and genealogical register, Volume 70 By Henry Fitz-Gilbert Waters, New England Historic Genealogical Society
- 10. Thomas Hatch (William, Thomas, John the Younger, Thomas, Thomas, John), of Wye, Co. Kent, and Scituate, Mass., born probably about 1596, died in New England before 14 June 1646, when his widow brought her daughter Hannah to be baptized. He married, probably about 1622, Lydia ____. He lived for a while at Wye, where he was presented to the Bishop by the churchwardens of Wye for teaching school without a licence; and they presented him at every subsequent court until 9 June 1628, when he procured the necessary licence. The date of his emigration to New England is not known; but he may have come with his brother William, on his second trip to New England, in the Castle, in 1638. He settled at Scituate, and was proposed as a freeman 5 Mar. 1638/9.
- His widow, Lydia, married secondly, about 1654, John Spring of Watertown, Mass., but continued to live in Scituate. About her the Plymouth Colony Records, under date of 6 Oct. 1659, have the following: "Conserning a certaine woman, viz', the wife of John Spring, of Watertowne, which was somtimes the wife of Thomas Hatch, of Scittuate, which said woman hath lived about three or foure yeares att Scittuate from her husband, the Court have ordered that shee either repaire to her husband with all convenient speed, or to repaire to Duxburrow to the house of Mr Alden, on the twentyeth of this p'sent month of October, to give a reason why shee doth not; and incase shee shall refuse to attend this order, the Court will take a speedy course to send her to her said husband." Evidently she satisfied the authorities as to her reasons for living apart from her husband, for in 1665 she was still living in Scituate, when as Lydia Spring, she took oath to the statements which her son-in-law, Jonas Pickles, made to her as to his wishes regarding the disposition of his property after his death.
- i. William, b. in England abt. 1624; emigrated with his parents to New England; lived at Scituate and later at Swansea, Mass., where he d. abt. 1702; m. at Scituate, 13 May 1652, SUSANNA ANNIBALL, dau. of Anthony of Scituate. He joined with his brothers Jeremiah and Thomas in deeds in 1680 and 1682. Children: 1. Mary, bapt. at Scituate 3 Oct 1652. 2. Lydia, b. at Scituate 7 Jan 1654/5. 3. William, bapt. at Scituate 29 Apr. 1660.
- ii. Jeremiah, bapt. at Wye, co. Kent, 23 July 1626; emigrated with his parents to New England; d. between 1709 or 1710, when he ordered James Torrey to obliterate three lines in his will, and 16 Mar. 1712/13, when the will was proved; m. at Scituate, 29 Dec. 1657, Mary Hewes, dau. of John "the Welchman." She d. between 1713 and 20 Sep 1716, when her will was proved. Jeremiah Hatch was a shipbuilder at Scituate. On 18 Jul 1677 he bought of Phebe Hatch (11, v, 2), granddaughter of his uncle, Elder William Hatch, the homestead of the latter, situated on Kent St., Scituate; and his ownership of this property has led some writers to regard Jeremiah Hatch as a son of Elder William. He was evidently an Anabaptist, as was Rev. Charles Chauncy, minister of Scituate, for only one of his children was bapt. in infancy but several of them were bapt. at the age of 14 or 15 years. Children, b. at Scituate: 1. Mary, b. 14 Feb 1658/9. 2. Jeremiah, b. 31 Aug. 1660. 3. Joanna, b. 21 Mar. 1662/3. 4. Mercy, b. 15 Apr. 1665. 5. John, b. 4 Jan 1666/7. 6. Elizabeth, b. 10 Mar. 1668/9; m. her second cousin, Israel Hatch (11, i, 7). 7. Lydia, b. 5 Dec 1669. 8. Phebe, b. 8 Apr. 1671. 9. Thomas, b. 15 Dec 1672. 10. James, b. 4 May 1674. 11. Anne, b. 6 Oct. 1677. 12. Deborah, b. 24 Mar. 1678/9.
- iii. Thomas, bapt. at Wye, co. Kent, 9 Nov. 1628; emigrated with his parents to New England; m. at Scituate, 4 Feb. 1662/3, Sarah Elmes, b. at Scituate 29 Sept. 1645, dau. of Rodulphus and Catherine (Whitcombe) of Scituate. Children, b. at Scituate: 1. Sarah, b. 23 May 1664. 2. Lydia, b. 9 Dec. 1666. 3. Mary, b. 19 Jan. 1668/9. 4. Thomas, b. 4 Dec. 1670. 5. Keturah, b. 8 Apr. 1672. 6. Hannah, b. 26 July 1673. 7. Rodulphus, b. 26 Dec. 1674. 8. Margaret, b. 26 Aug. 1677. 9. Abigail, b. 10 Nov. 1678. 10. Joseph, b. 6 May 1682. 11. Jeremiah, b. 2 Mar. 1684/5.
- iv. Mary, b. in England, probably abt. 1631; emigrated with her parents to New England; m. Daniel Prior. Child: 1. Daniel, bapt. at Scituate 6 July 1656.
- v. Alice, bapt. at Tenterden, co. Kent, 25 Sept. 1636; emigrated with her parents to New England; m. (1) at Scituate, 23 Dec. 1657, Jonas Pickles, who d. between 15 Dec. 1664, when he made his nuncupative will, and 27 Sept. 1665, when his mother-in-law, Lydia (___) (Hatch) Spring, took oath about the statements that he had made to her as to the disposition of his property; m. (2) at Scituate, in Dec. 1665, Thomas Roose. Children by first husband, b. at Scituate: 1. Jonas, b. 5 Feb. 1658/9; d. young. 2. Mercy b.28 Dec. 1660. 3. Nathan, b. 28 Jan. 1661/2. 4. Jonas, b. 10 Mar. 1663/4. 5. Lydia, b. 10 Apr. 1665. Children by second husband, b. at Scituate: 6. Thomas, b. 10 Sept. 1666. 7. Patient, b. 31 Mar. 1668/9 [sic]. 8. Hannah b. 23 May 1669 [sic].
- vi. Hannah, bapt. at Scituate 14 June 1646, being presented by her mother, "widow Hatch," and being then evidently a child several years old and not an infant; m. at Scituate, 6 Dec. 1658, Samuel Utley. Child: 1. Lydia, b. at Scituate 28 Dec. 1659.