Mary Horton (Tuthill)
|Birthplace:||Southold, Suffolk County, New York, United States|
|Death:||Died in Southold, Suffolk County, New York, United States|
Daughter of Henry Tuthill, Jr. and Bridget (possibly Burton) Tuttle - Wells
|Managed by:||Carole (Erickson) Pomeroy, Vol. ...|
About Mary Horton
- The refugees of 1776 from Long Island to Connecticut by Mather, Frederic Gregory
- HORTON - The ancestor of this name, on L. I. was Barnabas1, who was b. at Mowsley, Leicestershire, Eng., about 1600. (Moore's "Index," p. 22) He was one of the original settlers at Southold; and one of the 12 who constituted the Church of Rev. John Youngs, in 1640. He d. July 13, 1680, aged 80. (Tombstone at Southold) The house which he erected at Southold was known as the "Old Castle." His son, Capt. Jonathan2, built the West part of the house a few years later. (Griffin's "Journal," p. 229. See Page 406) Moore (pp. 22-24, 88-92) has been pains-taking in regard to this Family ; but later, and more accurate, information is found in the Horton Gen. (G. F. Horton, Phila., 1876), which is followed, below. "The Early Hortons, of Westchester Co., N. Y.," may be found in the N. Y. Gen'l and Biog'l Rec., Jan. and Apr., 1905.
- Barnabas1, b. July 13 (O. S.), 1600, came to Hampton, Mass., in 1635-1638; to New Haven and to Southold, in 1640, with his wife Mary and sons, Joseph2 and Benjamin2. His other sons were : Caleb2 , Lt. Joshua2 and Capt. Jonathan2. His dau., Sarah2, m. William1 Salmon. (See Salmon)
- Joseph2, b. about 1632-1635; m. Jane Budd; removed to Rye, N. Y. Moore states that he m. Abigail, dau. of John Vail. (See Vail)
- Benjamin2, b. about 1634-1637; m. Anna Budd; removed to Rye, about 1665, where he d. s. p. Nov. 3, 1690.
- Caleb2, b. in 1640; m. Abigail, dau. of Peter1 Hallock (See Hallock); d. Oct. 3, 1702. His son, Jonathan3, b. in 1668; m. Bethia Conklin. He had a son, Jonathan4, b. in 1694, m. Elizabeth Goldsmith.
- Lt. Joshua2, b. about 1643; m. Mary Tuthill; d. in 1729. Among his children were: Ens. Joshua3; and Ephraim3. Ens. Joshua3, b. in 1669; m. (1) Elizabeth, dau. of Simon Grover, (2) Wid. Mary Gillam; d. about 1744. Ephraim3, b. in 1686; m. Martha Vail. His son, Joseph4, b. in 1708; perhaps m. Deliverance Reeves.
- Capt. Jonathan 2, b. Feb. 23, 1648; m. Bethia, dau. of William1 Wells; d. Feb. 23, 1707. Among his children were: William3, b. in 1677, m. Christina Youngs; Jonathan3, b. Dec. 23, 1783, m. Mary Tuthill, and was the father of Rev. Azariah4, who was Missionary to the L. I. Indians, 1741-1750; and Dea. James3, b. in 1694, m. Anna Goldsmith, d. May 16, 1762. He was the father of Rev. Ezra4, who m. Mary, dau. of Robert Hempstead. (See Hempstead) He kept a valuable Diary.
- HORTON BARNABAS4 .... etc.
- .... etc.
- Horton genealogy; or, Chronicles of the descendants of Barnabas Horton, of Southold, L. I., 1640 by Horton, Geo. F. (George Firman)
- I. BARNABAS HORTON, son of Joseph Horton, born in Mousely, Leicestershire, England, 13 July (old style), 1600. Emigrated to America in the ship "Swallow," Captain Jeremy Horton, master and owner, in 1635 to '38, landed at Hampton, Massachusetts, came to New Haven in 1640; his wife, MARY, and two children, Joseph and Benjamin, with him. He settled permanently on the east end of Long Island, now Southold, Suffolk County, New York, in October, 1640.
- Children, all born in Southold, except Joseph and Benjamin, who were born in England :
- 1. Joseph, born about 1632; married Jane Budd, daughter of John Budd I.
- 2. Benjamin, born about 1634; married Anna Budd, sister of Jane.
- 3. Caleb, born about 1640; married Abigail Hallock.
- 4. Joshua, born about 1643; married Mary Tuthill.
- 5. Jonathan, born about 1648; married Bethia Wells.
- 6. Hannah, married Barnabas Terrill.
- 7. Sarah, married Joseph Conklin.
- 8. Mary, married Joseph Budd, son of John Budd.
- 9. Mercy, married Christopher Youngs.
- 10. Abigail, married Charles Booth.
- Second Generation. - Joseph I.
- .... etc.
- Second Generation. - Joshua I.
- IV. JOSHUA, son of Barnabas Horton I., born at Southold, L. I., in 1643; married, about 1667, MARY TUTHILL. In 1673, '76, '78 and '95 he deeds land to various persons. In 1676 he is one of the patentees of Southold, and has six males and five females in his family. He is a Lieutenant in 1693. (See "Moore's Indexes of Southold, p. 88.) He died in Southold, 1729. His wife died 2 January, 1718.
- Children, all born in Southold :
- 1. Joshua, ensign, born 1669.
- 2. Joseph, born 1671 ; married.
- 3. Sarah, born 1673; married Richard Terry, son of Richard I.
- 4. Mary, born ; married 2 January, 1 70S, Zaccheus Goldsmith.
- 5. Bethia, born ; married in Jan., 1716, Ichabod Hallock. She died 1753.
- 6. Keziah or Zerniah, married Israel Cose.
- 7. Ephraim, born 1786; married, in 1707, Martha Vail.
- .... etc.
- Genealogical and Family History of Western New York: A Record of ..., Volume 3 edited by William Richard Cutter
- The antiquity of the Horton family is well-proven. Long before the time of Henry Larey, Earl of Lincoln, who died in 1310, Robert De Horton manumitted a bondman to his manor of Horton. The name Horton in the Anglo-Saxon language means an inclosure or garden of vegetables. The name is evidently of Latin origin and has been known in England ever since the conquest. The first of the family in America of whom there is authentic record came from England in 1633-38. Thomas, Jeremiah and Barnabas Horton were among the early emigrants. Tradition says they were brothers.
- ( II ) Barnabas Horton, son of Joseph Horton. was born in Mouseley, Leicestershire. England, July 13, 1600. He came to New England in the ship "Swallow," Captain Jeremy Horton, master and owner, in 1635-38, landed at Hampton, Massachusetts, went to New Haven, Connecticut, 1640, with wife Mary and sons Joseph and Benjamin. In October, 1640, he made a permanent settlement in what is now Southold, Long Island, New York, where his last eight children were born; the first two were born in England. Children: Joseph, of whom further ; Benjamin, married Anna Budd, sister of Jane, who was wife of Joseph Horton ; Caleb, married Abigail Hallock ; Joshua, married Mary Tuthill ; Jonathan, married Bethia Wells ; Hannah, married Barnabas Terrill ; Sarah, married Joseph Conklin ; Mary, married Joseph Budd, brother of Jane; Mercy, married Christopher Youngs; Abigail, married Charles Booth.
- (Ill) Joseph (2). eldest son of Barnabas Horton, was born in Mouseley, England, about 1635, and was brought to New England by his parents. He resided in Southold near his father for several years after his marriage, but in 1664 moved to Rye, Westchester county, New York, where his father-in-law, John Budd, had previously settled. He was admitted a freeman of Connecticut colony, 1662. In 1671 he was chosen selectman of Rye. In 1678 he was justice of the peace, a lieutenant, later captain of militia, and also authorized by the general court to issue warrants and perform marriages. In 1695 he was vestryman of the church and in 1699 licensed to keep a house of entertainment. He was a miller, an occupation followed by several of his descendants. He married, about 1655, Jane, daughter of John Budd, one of the thirteen original Puritans, who settled Southold in 1640. Children, all but the last born at Southold, Long Island: Joseph, John, Samuel, David (of whom further), Abigail, married Roger Park ; Jeremiah.
- .... etc.
- Horton family year-book Vol. 5
- 1 BARNABAS HORTON1 of Southold, Long Island, New York, was born in 1600, at Mowsley, Leicestershire, England, and died July 13, 1680, at Southold, L. I. He married, in 1622, Ann Smith, of Stanion, Northamptonshire, England. She died before the family came to America. Barnabas Horton married (2d) Mary ---- , who survived him. He emigrated to America prior to 1640, and settled at Hampton, New Hampshire. As early as 1651 he removed to Southold, and resided there until his death. He held many public offices. He was Deputy to the General Court of the New Haven Colony in 1654, 1656, 1658, 1659 and 1661. In 1663 and 1664 he was a Commissioner for Southold.
- Children :
- 2 i Joseph Horton, m. Jane Budd.
- ii Benjamin Horton, m. Anna Budd.
- iii Hannah Horton, m. Barnabas Trevale (or Terrill).
- iv Sarah Horton, m. Joseph Conklin.
- v Mary Horton, m. Joseph Budd.
- vi Caleb Horton, m. Abigail Hallock.
- vii Joshua Horton, m. Mary Tuthill.
- viii Jonathan Horton, m. Bethia Wells.
- ix Mercy Horton, m. Christopher Youngs.
- 2 LIEUTENANT JOSEPH HORTON2 (Barnabas1), son .... etc.
- Mary Tuthill Horton
- Birth: unknown
- Death: unknown
- Family links:
- Joshua Horton (1643 - ____)*
- Ephraim Horton (1686 - 1733)*
- Burial: Unknown
- Find A Grave Memorial# 45182821
- From: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=45182821
- Name Mary Tuthill
- Born 1640 Southold, Suffolk Co., LI, NY
- Died 25 Jun 1729 Southold, Suffolk Co., LI, NY
- Father Henry Tuthill, b. 28 Jun 1612, Tharston, Norfolk, England d. Abt 1650, Southold, Suffolk Co., LI, NY (Age 37 years)
- Mother Bridget Elizabeth Burton, b. Abt 1616, Norfolk, England d. Abt 1650, Southold, Suffolk Co., LI, NY (Age ~ 34 years)
- Family Joshua Horton, b. Abt 1643, Southold, Suffolk Co., LI, NY d. 7 Jun 1729, Southold, Suffolk Co., LI, NY (Age ~ 86 years)
- Married 1667 Oysterponds, Suffolk Co., LI, NY
- From: http://www.longislandsurnames.com/getperson.php?personID=I11422&tree=Conklinother
- NOT CORRECT, THEY HAVE CONFUSED TWO MARY'S, THE DAU. OF MEHITABLE & JOHN TUTHILL IS THE ONE WHO MARRIED JONATHAN HORTON BUT NOT JOSHUA HORTON.
- Mary Tuthill[1, 2]
- Birth Abt 1687 Oysterponds (Orient), Southold, Suffolk, NY [1, 2]
- Died 4 Apr 1780 
- Father John Tuthill, [ii] >, b. 14 Feb 1658, Southold, Suffolk, NY d. 21 Nov 1754
- Mother Mehitable Wells, >, b. 26 Aug 1666, Southold, Suffolk, NY d. 26 Aug 1742, Oysterponds (Orient), Southold, Suffolk, NY
- Family 1 Joshua Horton, b. Abt 1643, Southold, Suffolk, NY d. 17 Jan 1728/9, Southold, Suffolk, NY
- Married Y [1, 3]
- Joanna Loops recorded eight children of this union.
- Family 2 Jonathan Horton, b. 23 Dec 1683, Southold (Old Castle), Suffolk, NY d. 2 Apr 1768, Southold, Suffolk, NY
- Married 27 Nov 1706 Southold, Suffolk, NY [1, 4]
- Joanna Loops records six children by this union.
- [S12] World Family Tree, WFT Volume 3 Tree #6092.
- [S174] Tuttle-Tuthill lines in America, ProQuest/HeritageQuest., p. 310..
- [S138] WorldConnect: Joanna Loops, http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=jloops&id=I 9101.
- [S138] WorldConnect: Joanna Loops, http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=jloops&id=I 9209.
- From: http://brookhavensouthhaven.org/hamletpeople/tng/getperson.php?personID=I4126&tree=hamlet
Mary Horton's Timeline
August 30, 1649
Southold, Suffolk County, New York, United States
Southold, Long Island, Province of New York
Southold, Suffolk County, New York, United States
Southold, Suffolk County, Province of New York
Southold, Suffolk, NY