Mary Jane Harding (Aldridge)
|Also Known As:||"Jane /Arledge/"|
|Birthplace:||Christened in Worstead, Tunstead & Happing District, Norfolk, England; moved to VA as child|
|Death:||Died in Northumberland, Virginia, USA|
Daughter of Clement Aldridge II and Elizabeth Tills or Tilles
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for Mary Jane Harding
About Mary Jane Harding
Notes from Arledge Family History Project (Pam Wilson, firstname.lastname@example.org):
Listed as Mary in most records; however, descendants of Jane Arledge, child of Clement, give her date of birth as 1670, and presumably this is the same person. She may have been Mary Jane.
Email correspondence from Sue Harris <email@example.com> on 18 Jan 1998:
"My Arledge line ended way back, with Jane Arledge who m Henry Harding in Northumberland Co., VA. I know she was a daughter of Clement Arledge & Elizabeth Tills, but they had four daughters christened in Worstead, Norfolk, England: Eliz., 1669; Mary, 1670; Winifred(?), ca 1674; and Alice or Grace (?), ca 1676. Others favor Mary, and as that name goes well with Jane, and she was born about the right time to be the wife of Henry Harding, I entered her in my files as Mary Jane Arledge. (All I have on the early Arledge family came from Boddie's Historical Southern Families, V. 10. Sometimes there are errors in Boddie, but I've not looked elsewhere for more information since finding this article. Do you know of other early family histories, or is your information also based on Boddie? If you disagree about Mary Arledge being Jane, would love to know more. This isn't my research and I have no strong feelings about the matter.)
Moving along, here's my direct line from Jane Arledge & Henry Harding
Mary Jane Arledge b 1670 Eng., m/1 Henry Harding (b 1666 Northumberland, d 1698 Northumberland); m/2 Charles Ashton, 1698.
Henry Harding b ca 1690 Northumberland, d 1737 Stafford, m ca 1714 Stafford, Anne (----) Beltcher (widow), who d 1754 Stafford.
Charles Harding m ca 1736 Stafford, Rachel Lunsford.
William Harding 1738 Stafford - 1826 Stafford, m c 1764 Stafford, Clarissa "Clarkey" Million, b 1745 VA - d 1826 Stafford.
Cuthbert Harding b ca 1766 Stafford, d 1842 Barren Co., KY, m ca 1785 Stafford(?), Winifred McInteer, b ca 1766 Stafford, d aft 1842 Bourbon Co., KY.
Ann Harding, b 1790 Stafford, d 1863 Sumner Co., TN, m 1808 Sumner Co., TN, James Whitworth, b 1779 Amelia, VA, d 1829 Sumner Co., TN.
Eliza Whitworth, b 1809 Sumner Co., TN, d 1888 Dallas Co., TX, m 1829 Sumner Co., TN, Weeden E. Byram, b 1804 Stafford Co., VA, d 1850 Sumner Co., TN. (Weeden changed name to BYRUM.)
Simon Byrum b 1835 Sumner, TN, d ca 1864 LA or OK (Indian Territory), Civil War, m 1856 Wilson Co., TN, Caroline Duncan, b 1832 Wilson Co., TN, d 1922 Dallas Co., TX.
Thomas Edwin Byrum, b 1857 Sumner Co., TN, d 1938 Dallas Co., TX, m 1890 Trousdale Co., TN, Lenora Susan Belcher, b 1866 Trousdale Co., TN, d 1930 Dallas Co., TX.
Andrew Griffin Byrum, b 1892 Troudale Co., TN, d 1968 Dallas Co., TX, m
1925 Dallas Co., TX, Annie Mary White, b 1895 Dallas Co., TX, d 1985
Dallas Co., TX.
Elizabeth Sue Byrum, (myself) b 1930 Dallas Co., TX, m 1953 Dallas Co.,
TX, Nathaniel Harris III, b 1930 Travis Co., TX, d 1995 Travis Co., TX.
Another Harding descendant:
From: Bbaughn <Bbaughn@aol.com>
Date: Sun, 24 May 1998 00:04:14 EDT
Subject: Arledge Connection
I have enjoyed your web page on the Arledge family. My possible connection is
thru Clement Ardridge and Mary Tilles' daughter, Mary Jane.
My line is:
1) Henry Harding (1666-1698 VA) md. Jane Arledge.
2) William Harding (1690 VA- 1752) wife Unknown.
3) Thomas Harden (1716 VA - bef 25 May 1809 NC) md. Unknown 1st wife.
If this Thomas Harden is the father of Jane Harden has not been proven.
4) Jane Harden (c1750 NC - 1 Jun 1832 MO) md. William Hornbuckle.
5) Sarah Jane Hornbuckle (c1772 NC - prob. before 1810 KY) md. Henry
6) Martha Overstreet ( 2 Oct 1797 KY - 7 Jul 1864 KY) md. Joseph Baughn.
7) James Henry Baughn ( 22 Feb 1834 KY - 2 Feb 1898 KY) md. Elizabeth Ann
8) Otis James Baughn (23 Apr 1877 KY - 11 Feb 1948 AZ) md. Mary Holman
9) Alfred Fairhurst Baughn (1 May 1912 AZ - ) md. Barbara Doris Hobbs.
10) Brent Fairhurst Baughn ( 27 Jun 1941 CA - ) --- ME ---
The Harding connections were by correspondance with Lee Pound. He did this
thru deeds, wills and court records. He has Henry Harding md. to Jane Arledge.
Maybe this is your Mary Jane. Henry Harding (1666-1698) is the son of Thomas Harden and Anne Mosley. He is the immigrant ancestor. The Hardings are from London, ENG. and the early family is in Tyler's Quarterly Magazine "Hardings of London and Virginia" by Mrs. O. A. Keach.
Brent Baughn < Bbaughn@aol.com >
The latest on the subject casts doubt that any of these were children of Jane Arledge.
Subject: Re: Hardin-Arledge
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 22:59:45 EDT
I won't try to get into a lot of detail, however, I now believe that the Henry Harding lines that have been thrown around for so many years are incorrect, including much of what you have in your chart.
In late June I decided that there were so many contradictions in the Harding lines that I needed to see just what could be proven and what could not be proven and was I surprised.
It's taken about two months to copy out all the Harding references in Northumberland County, VA and in other Northern Neck counties up to Loudoun,
resulting in hundreds of entries and about 75 pages of material.
That said, here are my new comments on your chart:
1. Henry Harding and Jane Arledge have no provable children. All sources
list four children, Henry, John, Thomas, and William. This is from a
speculative comment in an article written by Mrs. Keach in the 1920's in
Tylers Quarter, which is the basis for the structure of the family as
2. Henry Harding who married Jane Arledge was still under 21 in August 1691
per court records. He most likely married within the next year or two. He
died in August 1697 when his wife filed for probate, not May 1698. Jane is
the only name Jane Arledge is known under in the records.
3. Henry Harding II, supposed son of Henry Harding and Jane Arledge, was
married by early 1708 in Northumberland Co., VA, proven by a court record
where Henry and Anne, widow of William Beltcher Jr, probate his estate, not
1714-15. If Henry II was the son of Henry and Jane, he would have been 14-15
years old at marriage. Not likely.
4. Henry and Jane's other listed sons are figments of the imagination.
Thomas does not exist and was never assigned a family by any researcher. John is most likly the son of William Harding, Henry's brother, proven by a
Westmoreland Co. court order. William was invented and the dates of his
children were changed by 10 years from parish registers to make him fit the
5. The only proven child of Henry Harding II is Henry III. All others are
speculation. Charles belongs in neither position that you have him in. If
you look carefully you will note you have him twice, under Henry and under
William, both times married to Rachel Lunsford. William may belong in this
family but there is nothing to connect him. George may belong here too but
there is no proof.
I need to e-mail Sue Harris and Brent Baughn with the results of myresearch
since it is such a radical change. Ironically, I keep coming back to my
original idea of Brent's ancestry, which also mine, the more I research, and
not the line he sent you, which is now clearly incorrect.
Following are my basic charts. I have details for each individual amounting
to dozens of records in some cases. I don't know how much interest you have
in this line since it is now my belief that Henry and Jane Harding had no
children. The numbering system is generational, that is 1132 is the second
child of the third child of the first child. Hopefully the e-mail does not
screw it up too much. Let me know if you are interested in a full copy of the
work I've done. There are five different families, not one as in most
Family 1: Thomas Harding of Northumberland Co., VA
1. Thomas Harding Sr c1635-1674, md Ann Mosely
11. Anne Harding c 1662-unk
12. Thomas Harding Jr. 1664-1691, m --- Haynie, md 2) Ann (---) who md Luke
121. Thomas Harding III 1688-1722 m Mary Berry
1211. William Harding c1708-1762 md Sarah Ball 14 Feb 1730/1
Richmond Co., VA
12111. Judith Harding c1732- md Dec 1757 Joseph Wildey Jr. md 2
7 Dec 1774 John Anderson
12112. Betty Harding c 1734- md Capt Griffin Fauntleroy
12113. Hannah Harding c 1736- md John Lewis
12114. Sarah Harding c 1738- md (unk) Humphrey md 2 John Cralle
12115. Mary Harding c 1740- md 1755 Matthew Neale
12116. Molley Harding c 1742- md unk
12117. Frances Harding c 1748- md Samuel Lewis (c1746-c1821)
12118. Jane Harding c 1745- md 19 Jan 1765 Parrish Garner md
12119. William Harding c 1754- md Hannah Ball (no children?)
1212. Thomas Harding 1710-c 1761 md Jane Gibbons
12121. John Harding 21 Apr 1734-
12122. Thomas Harding 9 Sep 1737-
12123. Frances Harding 9 Sep 1737-
12124. Jemayma Harding 3 May 1739-
12125. Mary Harding 6 Apr 1741-
12126. Samuel Harding 6 Mar 1744-
12127. Judith Harding 18 July 1745-
12128. Hatte Harding 5 Apr 1748-
1213. Samuel Harding c 1712- by 1739
1214. Jane Harding c 1714- md George Humphries c 1732
1215. Judah Harding c 1718-
1216. Mary Harding c 1722-
122. William Harding 1690-?? Md ???
1221. Thomas Harding 1717-
1222. Judah Harding 1721-
13. A son (died young)
14. William Harding 1669-by 16 Dec 1696 m Elizabeth ---
141. John Harding 1695-1734 md Jane (Barecraft) Trussell
1411. Willoughby Harden 1727- ?
15. Henry Harding c 1671-by 18 Aug 1697 m Jane Arledge
16. John Harding c 1673-by 17 Jan 1714 md Anne Bennett? who married 2)
161. Thomas Harding c 1704-
162. William Harding c 1705-?
163. John Harding c 1707-?
Family 2: William Harding of Northumberland County, Virginia
1. William Harding c 1680- ??? md 1) ??? md 2) Frances (Waddington)
11. Charles Harding 2 July 1704 - md Rachel Lunsford
111. William Harding 12 March 1738-1826 md Clarissa Million 1745-1826
1111. John Harding
1112. Cuthbert Harding c 1766-1842 md Winifred McInteer
1113. Enoch Harding ??- after 1826 md Sarah --- by 1811
1114. Frances Harding
1115. Elijah Harding ??-by 1826 md Philadelphia --- by 1811
1116. Sarah Harding
1117. Nancy Harding
1118. Lewis Harding ?-1831
1119. Mark Harding ??-?? md Anne- by 1811
1120. Adah Harding 1790-1856 md William McInteer
112. Ann Harding 3 Feb 1740
113. Jane Harding 9 Nov 1742
114. Charles Harding 6 April 1745
115. John Scott Harding 3 August 1747- by 1810
116. Thomas Harding 11 August 1749
117. Moses Harding 19 March 1753- 1825 md Mary Ball
1171. Thomas Hardin
1172. Charles Hardin
1173. John Stephen Hardin
1174. William Hardin md Rhoda Wilhoit
118. George Harding 3 July 1754
12. Francis Harding 2 July 1704 - after 1729
13. Thomas Harding 2 February 1706- before 10 Dec 1750 md Hannah
131. John Harding
132. Hopkins Harding
133. Mark Harding ?? - 1774
1331. Thomas Harding
1332. Betty Harding
1333. Charles Harding
1334. Mark Harding
134. Frances Harding
135. Hannah Harding
136. John Harding
137. Sarah Harding
Family 3: Henry Harding of Stafford County, Virginia
1. Henry Harding b c 1675 England?? Md c 1708 Anne (----) Beltcher
11. Henry Harding b c 1714 Stafford Co., VA d 1779 Shenandoah Co., VA md
111. George Harding b c 1737 Stafford Co., VA
112. Wilmouth Harding b 14 April 1741 Overwharton Parish Stafford Co.,
VA m John Smith
113. Nicholas Harding b 6 July 1743 Overwharton Parish, Stafford Co.,
114. Nanny Harding b c 1745 m ---- Combs
115. Henry Harding b c 1747 md Rebecca Netherton
12. George Harding b c 1717 Stafford Co., VA d 1768 Stafford Co. md Jane
121. Franky Harding b 7 March 1743 Overwharton Parish, Stafford Co., VA
122. Winny Harding b 1 December 1746 Overwharton Parish, Stafford Co.,
123. Ann Harding b 29 May 1749 Overwharton Parish, Stafford Co., VA
124. Henry Harding b 29 August 1753 Overwharton Parish, Stafford Co.,
125. Sarah Harding b 23 March 1758 Overwharton Parish, Stafford Co., VA
Family 4: William Harding of Stafford and Fairfax County, VA
1. William Harding b c 1722?? VA d 1781 Fairfax Co., VA md 1) Patty Green 2)
11. Hall Harding b 25 Oct 1746 Overwharton Parish, Stafford Co., VA
12. Charles Harding
13. Maryann Harding md Mr. Ball
14. Anthony Harding
15. Thomas Green Harding b c 1764
Family 5: Thomas Harden of Fairfax VA and Rockingham NC
Note: This family may be among the children of John Harding and Jane
Barecraft in family one above.
1. Thomas Harden b c 1725 Virginia md 1) Sarah md 2) Eleanor Taylor? Died
1809 Rockingham Co., NC
11. Jane Harden b c 1752 md William Hornbuckle
12. Presley Harden
13. John Harden md Sarah Holt
131. John Harden
132. Polly Harden md John L. Prather
133. Sally Harden
134. Betsy Harden
135. Peggy Harden
14. Jeremiah Harden
15. Ann Harden md John Reid
16. Sarah Harden md --- Rogers
17. Thomas Harden
18. Henry Harden md Elizabeth Hornbuckle
181. Deborah Harden md John Patman Freeman
182. Thompson Harden
183. Nancy Harden md James Foster
19. Peter Harden died 1819 Rockingham Co., NC
1A. Peggy Harden died 1840 Rockingham Co., NC
2. Peter Harden b 1732 Westmoreland Co., VA died after 1762 Fairfax Co., VA??
Sun, 11 Jul 1999 16:23:09 EDT
I just looked through your Arledge page and found one of my letters on the subject of the descendants of Henry Harding and Jane Arledge. First, I appreciate you including the material since it does make quite a difference
for Harding descendants.
I did end up publishing my Harding findings last September, including all of the Northumberland references. Interestingly enough, I found no proof that
Jane, the wife of Henry Harding was an Arledge or had any connection with Clement Arledge.
Anyway the book is available should you wish to have a copy. To order, send $20 to me at 4 Ash Tree Lane, Irvine, CA 92612.
Again, I appreciate your getting the word out about the Harding problems.
<firstname.lastname@example.org> on Dec 22, 2004 wrote:
Subject: George Harding Line
Is anyone researching the line of George Harding of London whose son Thomas came to Virginia, America in 1650. He and wife Anne Moseley had six children including Henry. Henry married Jane Arledge and had at least four children including William. William's wife is unknown. He had at least four children including Charles who married Rachel Lunsford. They had eight children
including William who married Clarissa Million. William and Clarissa had at least 10 children including John Bennett Harding who shows up in Knox County, Ohio, as John Bennett Hardin in 1820. John, whose wife is unknown, had at least 10 children. The first 9 seem to have been named Hardin and the last one, Daniel, was named Harding.
This line is discussed in Hardin and Harding of Virginia and Kentucky by Dorothy Ford Wulfeck, 1963.
Logan County ILGenWeb www.rootsweb.com/~illogan
Central IL Regional Coordinator, ILGenWeb
Clark, Downing, Harding, Lucas, et al
Mary Jane Harding's Timeline
October 9, 1670
Christened in Worstead, Tunstead & Happing District, Norfolk, England; moved to VA as child
October 9, 1670
Worstead, Norfolk, Eng, Eur
Northumberland, VA, USA
Northumberland, Virginia, USA