view all 16
About Mary Abigail Parsons
Mary Parsons Coolidge May 31, 1878-October 9, 1964
Parents: George Parsons 1826-1907 and Sarah Eddy 1838-1918
Husband John Templeman Coolidge 1856-
City of Portsmouth: At the end of Little Harbor Road is the farm of Royal Governor Benning Wentworth (1696-1770). Appointed in 1741 by George II, Wentworth governed the province of New Hampshire for 25 years, promoting expansion as far west as Bennington, in present-day Vermont. The Cushing family acquired the farm in 1816, and by the 1840s began to show the mansion as one of America’s first historic houses open to the public. In 1886, John Templeman Coolidge (1856-1945) of Boston purchased the site for a summer home. In 1954, his widow, Mary Abigail Parsons Coolidge, donated it to the state of New Hampshire.