About Mary Winton (McClellan/McCoy?)
John Winton settled in the Kittochtinny Valley near the west branch of the Conococheaque ( Clear Water ) Creek. At that time there were less than 800 people living in the region.
Mary Winton's death was recorded in the Upper West Conococheaque records in 1775.
An official list of "Officers of the Associated Regiment of Lancaster County, over the River Susquehanna" was approved by the provincial government on 29 March 1748. John Winton was the lieutenant for Peters Township, serving under his neighbors, Major William Maxwell and Ensign James Wilkey.
In 1749 the provincial government honored a petition for a new county and Cumberland County was founded in January 1750. On 23 October 1750 John Winton was appointed to serve on a grand jury in Cumberland County. John is listed on tax list in Peter Township in 1751. In 1751, Peters Township covered the entire southwest part of modern Franklin County, including Peters, Montgomery, Warren and part of St. Thomas Townships.
John paid taxes in Peters Township in Cumberland County, Pennyslvania in the years: 1751, 1753, 1762, 1763, 1764, 1766. John died in 1766 and Mary paid taxes in 1768 and 1769.