About Morris Somes
- 'History and genealogies of the Hammond families in America : with an account of the early history of the family in Normandy and Great Britain. 1000-1902 (1902)
- (I) John Hammond, whose birth and former place of residence are unknown, first appears on Gloucester records in 1600. He m. Oct. 17. 1660, Mary Somes, b. March 1, 1642, dau. of 'Morris and Margarie ( ___ ) Somes'.
- ' "Morris Somes, d. Jan. 13, 1689, aged 75; by his first wife, Margarie. who d. Jan. 22. 1646, he had
- 1. Mary. (Somes) b. March 1, 1642 ; m. Oct. 17, 1660. John Hammond." (Babson's History of Gloucester, Part I, p. 72.)
- The will of John Somes, son of 'Morris Somes', who d. Nov. 30, 1687, gives "£5 each to loving sisters Abigail and Mary Hammond." (Babson's History of Gloucester, Part I, p. 74.)
- 'James R. (James Robert) Pringle. History of the town and city of Gloucester, Cape Ann, Massachusetts. (page 5 of 36)
- JOHN HAMMONS, in June, 1663, had land near Goose cove. In 1660 he married Mary Somes. He left five children, but the name seems to have died out here very early.,
- ' MORRIS SOMES, one of the earliest settlers, was proprietor of land on the easterly side of Mill river. He was married twice, his second wife being Elizabeth Kendall, of Cambridge. He had numerous children, his first child, Mary, being born in 1642. Descendants still perpetuate the name, the present efficient city clerk, John J. Somes, Esq., whose services in preserving and recopying the old town records, have been invaluable to the city, he being a direct descendant.
- HENRY WITHAM probably lived near Lobster Cove. He married Sarah Somes in 1665, and at her decease was again married to Lydia Griffin in 1691. He left several sons and daughters and the name is perpetuated in town by descendants.
- 'A Genealogical Dictionary of The First Settlers of New England, Before 1692 Volume #4 Winthrop - Wodell By James Savage
- SOMES, JOHN, Boston, s. of 'Morris of Gloucester', m. Hannah, eldest d. of Samuel Shattuck of Salem, the happy messeng. of Charles II. who brot. the order to stop the execrable policy of persecut. the Quakers; made his will 13 Nov. 1687, pro. in 1700, when of sev. ch. only Benjamin was liv. to settle the est. 'MORRIS, Gloucester, by w. Margery had Mary, b. 1 Mar. 1642, and Sarah, 15 June 1643. His w. d. 22 Jan. 1647; and he m. 26 June foll. Elizabeth d. of John Kendall of Cambridge, had John, 22 Apr. 1648; Lydia, 3 Oct. 1649; and some others, of wh. Hannah, 3 Sept. 1608. He d. 1689. Mary m. 17 Oct. 1660, John Hammond, and Sarah m. 15 June 1665, Henry Witham. TIMOTHY, Gloucester, perhaps s. of the preced. m. 2 Jan. 1672, Jane Stanwood, perhaps d. of Philip, had Timothy, b. 27 July 1673; Jane, 1 Dec. 1674; Alice, 11 Mar. 1677; Joseph, 26 Aug. 1679; and William, 24 Jan. 1682.
- WHITHAM, HENRY, Gloucester m. m. 15 June 1665, Sarah, d. of 'Morris Somes', had Thomas, b. 29 Sept. 1666; Henry, 27 Oct. 1668; John, 19 vol. 4, p. 518 Feb. 1671, d. soon; Samuel, 26 Jan. 1673; and Joseph, 21 Dec. 1676. I have foll. the spelling of Mr. Felt, but may easily believe the name was Witham.
- WITHAM, HENRY, Gloucester 1665, s. prob. of Thomas, d. 17 Apr. 1702, had Thomas, b. 1666; Henry, 1668; John, 1670; Samuel, 1672; and Joseph, 1676; by w. Sarah, d. of 'Morris Somes', wh. he m. 15 June 1665, and she d. 11 May 1689. He m. 23 Oct. 1691, Lydia Griffin, wh. outliv. him only few mos. THOMAS, Gloucester, wh. d. 1653, was, as Mr. Babson thinks, f. of Henry.
- Cambridge Marriages
- Pg. 225
- KENDAL (Kendall)
- Jabez and Mary Pool, int. Jan. 7, 1769.
- Samuel, Rev., and Mary Austin, Nov. 20, 1783.*
- KENDALL (Kendal)
- Abigail and Joshua Sawin, Feb. 21, 1804.
- Betsey and Newell Brent, int. Sept. 14, 1805.
- Charlotte and Robert White, Oct. 27, 1836.
- Pg. 226
- David (Rev. int.) of Hubbardston, and Susanna Jarvis, Feb. 20, 1803.
- 'Elizabeth, d. John and Morris Somes, in Gloucester, June 26, 1648.*
- Elizabeth and Ephraim Winship, Nov. 9, 1675.*
- Elsie and Thomas (Thomas P. int.) Lerned, Aug. 4, 1836.
- Joshua and Sarah (Susanna, int.) Shattuck, Apr. 25, 1771.
- Lydia and John Sawin, Oct. 19, 1806.
- Margaret Doyle and Stephen Pratt, Mar. 29, 1831.
- Polly and Gad Wyeth, Dec. 1, 1793.*
- Ruth and Abijah Mann of Brookline, Apr. 22, 1798.*
- Sally and Joseph Sawin, Jan. (20. CR1), 1793.*
- Sarah B. of Waltham, and Charles Crosby, int. Oct. 2, 1841.
- Susanna and Thomas Brown of Waltham, June 30, 1793.*
- 'New England marriages prior to 1700 By Clarence Almon Torrey, Elizabeth Petty Bentley
- Pg. 692
- SOAMES, John (-1700) & Hannah [SHATTUCK] (1651-); b 1671; Boston
- 'SOMES, Morris (?1610-1689) & 1/ wf Margaret/Margery ? (-1646/7); b. 1642; Gloucester
- 'SOMES, Morris & 2/wf Elizabeth KENDALL; 26 Jun 1647; Gloucester/?Cambridge
- SOAN, Robert & Elizabeth [HATCH], m/2 John STOCKBRIDGE 1643
- SOMES, Timothy (1648-1706) & Jane STAINWOOD/STANWOOD (-1696); 2 Apr 1673; Gloucester
- SOAMES, Timothy & Elizabeth ROBINSON; 31 Dec 1695; Gloucester
- SOAMES, Timothy & Hannah DESPER/DEEPAR?; 11 Mar 1696/7; Gloucester
- SOAN, William (-1672) & Dorothy ? , m/2 William Tubbs 1672; b. 1668; Scituate
- 'The New England historical and genealogical register, Volume 61 By Henry Fitz-Gilbert Waters, New England Historic Genealogical Society
- Pg. 201
- TOPLIFF.-- Since my article on "The Descendants of Clement Topliff" appeared in the REGISTER (ante, vol. 58, pp. 117-121), Mr. Joseph Gardner Bartlett had made the discovery that the wife of Samuel2 Topliff (Clement1) was not Patience Trescott but Patience Somes, the daughter of 'Morris and Elizabeth (Kendall) Somes of Gloucester, Mass'. Savage says she died 8 Sept. 1728, in her 76th year or aged 76, and consequently was born 1652-3. (See "Clement Topliff and his Decendants in Boston," by Ethel Stanwood Bolton, Boston, 1906, page 11.) G.F. TOPLIFF.
- 'Morris Somes1
- 'M, b. circa 1610, d. 13 January 1689
- ' Morris Somes was born circa 1610 at England.1 He married Elizabeth Kendall, daughter of John Kendall and Elizabeth Sackville, on 26 June 1647 at Gloucester, Barnstable, MA.1 Morris Somes died on 13 January 1689 at Salisbury, Essex, MA.1
- 'Family Elizabeth Kendall b. c 1623, d. 4 Jan 1696
- ◦Patience Somes+1 b. 10 Mar 1652, d. 8 Sep 1728
- 1.[S61] Unknown author, Family Group Sheets, SLC Archives.
- 'The Genealogical magazine
- Pg. 18
- THE WIFE OF SAMUEL2 TOPLIFFE OF DORCHESTER, MASS. BY J. GARDNER BARLETT.
- The following record in the files of the Middlesex County Court October term, 1678, show the maiden name of Patience the wife of Samuel2 Topliffe of Dorchester, a point searched for by the writer for several years, and believed to be hitherto unknown:
- These are to Certify all Persons whom it may Concerne that Samuell Toplife of Dorchester and Patience Soms of Boston have been plublished three severall times according to Order without any Opposition as is attested per mee Rich: Taylor
- Boston, October 5th, 1671.
- Patience2 Somes was the daughter of 'Morris1 and Elizabeth (Kendall) Somes of Gloucester', where she was born in 1652. Her elder brother John2 Somes settled in Boston in 1670, and doubtless his sister Patience lived with him, as she is said to be of Boston at the time of publishment. . . . .
- 'The Pioneers of Massachusetts, a Descriptive List, Drawn from Records of the ... By Charles Henry Pope
- Pg. 425
- SOMES, SOAMES, SOOMS, SOMNES,
- ' Morris, Gloucester, in court in 1647; propr. 1649. He m. Margery, who d. Jan. 22, 1646; he m. 2, June 26, 1647, Elizabeth Kendall. Ch. Mary b. March 1, 1641-2, (m. John Hammond.) Sarah b. June 15, 1643, (m. Henry Witham,) Timothy, John b. April 22, 1648, Lydia b. Oct. 3, 1649. Nathaniel, Patience, Joseph, Abigail, Hannah b. Sept. 3, 1658. He deposed in 1658, ae. about 58 years. He d. Jan. 16, 1689. Admin. gr. Dec. 28, 1692.
-------------------- Morris Somes .... lived along the Mill River. Morris' wife, Elizabeth Kendall was from Cambridge, a member of a prominent family of that name.
http://www.wainwrightfamily.org/lurvey.html -------------------- Source: www.familysearchpilot
Additional Information for Morris SOMES
This person's information was combined while in Ancestral File. The following submitters of the information may or may not agree with the combining of the information: EDWARD WILFRED/BUSHWAY/ (2106413) JUDITH S./WILKINS/ (2120484) KENNETH R/ALLEN/ (2137109) MARTHA ELAINE/HOUGHTON/ (2152109) GORDON LEE/CARLSON/ (2153938) BEVERLY J./HART/ (2163513) CARLFRED B./BRODERICK/ (2164933) MARILYN SHURTZ/JACKSON/ (2169017) WESLEY GENE/DANA, JR./ (2176140) J. MARK/HADLEY/ (2177513) PHIL C./BURRELL/ (2177977) ALICE GAYLE FIFE/JENSEN/ (2178021) PATRICIA L/RUDD/ (2178927) MARION A/CARPENTER/ (2179087) HELEN D/JOHNSON/ (2180766) RAY T/WILCOX/ (2182749) VERNA M./HOARD/ (2183593) LIONEL VERN/NEBEKER/ (2190219) DIANE S/DIETERLE/ (2191514) MURIEL D./KEYSER/ (2192836) COLEEN ENGLAND/STUTZNEGGER/ (2201245) GERALD B. AND SYLVIA NELSON/HAYCOCK/ (2205761) MILTON HARVEY/BRINTON/ (2210602) H. RICHARD/LINDSTROM/ (2210645) MYRNA/CRAPO/ (2214554) CONSTANCE PALMER/LEWIS/ (2238127) GREGORY D./NERODE/ (2238688) HEBER E./POULSON/ (2244891) DORIS HELEN/WELLS/ (2245466) JENNIFER/WILLIAMS/ (2258807) KENWARD H/MCKINNEY (2259762) RONALD D./HUTCHINGS/ (2264808) CAROL TAYLOR/BULLOCK/ (2271829) DAVID B./BURNHAM/ (2272380) JULIA JEPPSON/ATWOOD/ (2283382) MELANIE DAWN/FORD/ (2291960) ANN V/BROWN/ (2317611) RICHARD F/GRIFFIN/ (2332743) JUDD & TINA HUMPHERYS/BJ (2335480) JAMES F./WILSON (2343996) E VERL/ADAMS/ (2347798) JAMES R./BRANN/ (2347899) BETTY KENDALL/PARKER/ (2352250) FRANK S./GRIFFIN/ (2352592) CLARENCE H/MAXWELL/ (2369873) ELLEN JANE/SEBERN/ (2501484) RICHARD & MELE/KENDALL/ (2593530) L DON/BERCHTOLD/ (2662160) Citing This Record
"Ancestral File", database, FamilySearch (http://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.2.1/MWML-ZM7 : accessed 2013-01-15), entry for Morris SOMES. Submitted By (57)
mjmontierth1870249 ldberchtold2758188 msjackson2786619 krallen2834614 ddieterle3066720 wturner3157348 clewis3210685 esebern3301434 prudd3374318 agardiner3517349 gnerode3584515 pburrell3763769 hepoulson3765511 rtwilcox3803278 gcarlson4012898 mbhart1054866 macarpenter1064139 cestutznegger1090895 jpmathews1220541 mehoughton1280295 lvnebeker1280482 vslrichardson1281881 rmkendall1286196 gbasnhaycock1299491 dbburnham1818183 khmckinney1825461 hrlindstorm1834893 jthbj1838620 jfwilson1843204 gsroufe2723763 hjohnson2725790 jwilliams2258807 rdhutchings2264808 jjatwood2283382 mdford2291960 jrbrann2347899 fsgriffin2352592 chmaxwell2369873 rbclarke2383376 awkroon98424 jmhadley210544 jswilkins213777 agfjensen247964 ctbullock249985 mdkeyser286871 bparker725315 avbrown750631 cbbroderick780084 vmhoard857268 wgdjr2176140 mhbrinton2210602 enielsen2210798 dhwells2245466 rfgriffin2025035 evadams2032953 ewbushway2106413 mcrapo2757461 microfilm: 1394213 submission: AF83-048194
submission: AF89-006399 -------------------- View Tree for Morris SomesMorris Somes (b. Abt. 1603, d. Jan 13, 1688) Morris Somes (son of Thomas Somes and Agnes) was born Abt. 1603 in Edmund, England, and died Jan 13, 1688 in Gloucester, Essex, Massachusetts. He married (1) Marjorie Johnson on Jun 4, 1635 in Cranfield, Bedford, England. He married (2) Elizabeth Kendall on Jun 13, 1647 in Gloucester, Essex, Massachusettes.
More About Morris Somes and Marjorie Johnson: Marriage: Jun 4, 1635, Cranfield, Bedford, England.
More About Morris Somes and Elizabeth Kendall: Marriage: Jun 13, 1647, Gloucester, Essex, Massachusettes.
Children of Morris Somes and Marjorie Johnson are:
+Timothy Somes, b. Jan 27, 1646, Gloucester, Barnstable, Massachusetts, d. Feb 1, 1706, Gloucester, Essex, Massachusetts. Mary Somes. Marie Somes. Sarah Somes.
Morris Somes's Timeline
of Gloucester, Barnstable Co., MA
March 1, 1642
Gloucester, Esx, MA
June 15, 1643
Gloucester, Essex, Massachusetts, United States
January 27, 1646
Gloucester, Essex County, Massachusetts Bay Colony, (Present USA)
June 26, 1647
June 26, 1647
Gloucester, Essex, Massachusetts, United States
June 26, 1647
Gloucester, Barnstable Co., MA
October 3, 1649
March 10, 1652
Gloucester, MA, USA