About Nicholas Rossiter
See http://www.maryandjohn1630.com/passengerlist.html which lists as PROBABLE passengers on the Mary and John (1630):
- Edward Rossiter, age 55
- wife of Edward Rossiter, age 53
- Nicholas Rossiter, son of Edward, 31
- Ann, wife of Nicholas, age 29
- child of Nicholas and Ann, age 4
- child of Nicholas and Ann, age 2
- Bray, son of Edward, age 20
- Jane, son of Edward, age 16
- Hugh, son of Edward, age 15
- Joan, daughter of Edward, age 14
- four unnamed people who are either relatives of Edward or his servants
See The American Genealogy, January 1937 (available from NEGHS) "Edward Rossiter, His Family, and Notes on His English Connections" by Meredith B. Colket Jr.
Edward Rossiter children: (1) Nicholas born circa 1608 (possibly father of Edward Rossiter deacon at Taunton, Somerset in 1682. Stayed in Combe St. Nicholas; (2) Bryan (Bray) born circa 1610. Admitted freeman Dorchester 18 May 1631. Died Guilford, CT 30 Sept 1672. Married Elizabeth Alsop, daughter of Rev. John Alsop of Crewkerne, Serset. She died Guilford, 29 Aug 1669; (3) Hugh, born before 1619. Obtained land at Dorchester in 1635 and became an original purchaser of Taunton shortly thereafter. Nothing else certain about him, e.g., wife or offspring; (4) Joane, youngest surviving child of Mr. Edward Rossiter, born circa 1616. Married Nicholas Hart, early of Taunton, removed to Warwick, R.I. Joane died a Plymouth 9 June 1691 being 75 years of age.
No reason to believe that Joan / Jane who was born circa 1614 and died 1 June 1691 at Taunton, age 77 and married Thomas Gilbert of Taunton 23 March 1639/40 was a daughter of Edward Rossiter or the same as above Joane. -----------------------
He arrived in MA with his father, but returned to ENgland by Apr. 16, 1635 and inherited his father's lands there.