Patience Topliff (Somes)
|Birthplace:||Gloucester, MA, USA|
|Death:||Died in Boston, MA, USA|
|Place of Burial:||Boston, Suffolk County, Massachusetts, United States|
Daughter of Morris Somes and Elizabeth Somes
|Managed by:||Private User|
view all 14
About Patience Topliff
- 'Patience Somes1
- 'F, b. 10 March 1652, d. 8 September 1728
- Father Morris Somes1 b. c 1610, d. 13 Jan 1689
- Mother Elizabeth Kendall1 b. c 1623, d. 4 Jan 1696
- ' Patience Somes was born on 10 March 1652 at Gloucester, Essex, MA.1 She married Samuel Topliff, son of Clement Topliff and Sarah, in October 1671 at Boston, Suffolk, MA.1 Patience Somes died on 8 September 1728 at Dorchester, Suffolk, MA, at age 76.1
- 'Family Samuel Topliff b. 10 Mar 1646, d. 1722
- ◦Thankful Topliff+1 b. 22 Feb 1679, d. 1 May 1747
- 1.[S61] Unknown author, Family Group Sheets, SLC Archives.
- 'The Pioneers of Massachusetts, a Descriptive List, Drawn from Records of the ... By Charles Henry Pope
- Pg. 425
- SOMES, SOAMES, SOOMS, SOMNES,
- Morris, Gloucester, in court in 1647; propr. 1649. He m. Margery, who d. Jan. 22, 1646; he m. 2, June 26, 1647, Elizabeth Kendall. Ch. Mary b. March 1, 1641-2, (m. John Hammond.) Sarah b. June 15, 1643, (m. Henry Witham,) Timothy, John b. April 22, 1648, Lydia b. Oct. 3, 1649. Nathaniel, 'Patience', Joseph, Abigail, Hannah b. Sept. 3, 1658. He deposed in 1658, ae. about 58 years. He d. Jan. 16, 1689. Admin. gr. Dec. 28, 1692.
- 'The Genealogical magazine
- Pg. 18
- THE WIFE OF SAMUEL2 TOPLIFFE OF DORCHESTER, MASS. BY J. GARDNER BARLETT.
- ' The following record in the files of the Middlesex County Court October term, 1678, show the maiden name of Patience the wife of Samuel2 Topliffe of Dorchester, a point searched for by the writer for several years, and believed to be hitherto unknown:
- ' These are to Certify all Persons whom it may Concerne that Samuell Toplife of Dorchester and Patience Soms of Boston have been plublished three severall times according to Order without any Opposition as is attested per mee Rich: Taylor
- Boston, October 5th, 1671.
- ' Patience2 Somes was the daughter of Morris1 and Elizabeth (Kendall) Somes of Gloucester, where she was born in 1652. Her elder brother John2 Somes settled in Boston in 1670, and doubtless his sister Patience lived with him, as she is said to be of Boston at the time of publishment.
- ' How it happened that this record of publishment of parties living in Boston and Dorchester in Suffolk County was deposited in the court files of Middlesex County seven years after the marriage took place, is indeed a puzzle. No marriage record is known to exist.
- ' In the Topliffe genealogy in the New England Historical and Genealogical Register for April, 1904, it was erroneously suggested that the wife of Samuel2 Topliffe was probably Patience Trescott of Dorchester, she being the only girl of suitable age to be found in the records of Dorchester bearing the name "Patience."
- 'The New England historical and genealogical register, Volume 61 By Henry Fitz-Gilbert Waters, New England Historic Genealogical Society
- Pg. 201
- ' TOPLIFF.-- Since my article on "The Descendants of Clement Topliff" appeared in the REGISTER (ante, vol. 58, pp. 117-121), Mr. Joseph Gardner Bartlett had made the discovery that the wife of Samuel2 Topliff (Clement1) was not Patience Trescott but Patience Somes, the daughter of Morris and Elizabeth (Kendall) Somes of Gloucester, Mass. Savage says she died 8 Sept. 1728, in her 76th year or aged 76, and consequently was born 1652-3. (See "Clement Topliff and his Decendants in Boston," by Ethel Stanwood Bolton, Boston, 1906, page 11.) G.F. TOPLIFF.
Patience Topliff's Timeline
March 10, 1652
Gloucester, MA, USA
February 22, 1679
Boston, Suffolk, Massachusetts, United States
May 30, 1695
Boston, MA, USA
November 4, 1698
Boston, Suffolk, MA, USA
September 8, 1728
Boston, MA, USA
Boston, Suffolk County, Massachusetts, United States