Peter's Top Matches
About Peter Bricker
He immigrated in on September 21, 1732 to Philadelphia. He is buried in Cocalico Brethren Cemetery, Lancaster County, Pa.
Dec. 29, 1761 Lancaster County Pennsylvania, USA
Information of burial is a news article in the Lititz (PA) Record Express published 4 Aug 2011 (part 1 of 2) with a photo of the Bricker homestead.
Summary; Peter Bricker's parents originally settled in Frutigen, Switzerland but facing religious prosecution, they left that area in the late 1680s and settled in Germany. Peter Mylin Bricker was then born in Germany in 1700, Peter eventually left this area with his wife, Christiana, 29, and their two daughters, Elizabeth and Anna. They boarded the ship "Pink Plaisance" at Rotterdam in 1732. Peter signed his name of the ship's registry as "PB". The family was of the Mennonite faith. The Captain's name was John Parrett, the ship arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on Sept. 21, 1732. On Jan. 10, 1733, Peter received a grant of 290 acres of land on what was referred to as "Muehlbach Hills" in Cocalico Twp., Lancaster Co., Pennsylvania; in 1741, he was granted additional acreage which brought his holdings to 800 acres. Part of the latter acreage was known as "The Bricker Tract", which is located in West Cocalico Twp. His wife Christiana, died in 1735, and he eventually married his second wife, Elizabeth in 1737. In 1759, on his land he built a large sandstone, two and a half story house. It boasted individual clay tiles that covered the roof. An outstanding example of 18th century sandstone architecture. The house still (year 2011) stands and is located on Cocalico Road at the northwest corner of Shenk's Mill Road. The house is sometimes referred to as "the spotted house" due to the different colors of sandstone used to build it. Date in stone on house (in german): "Gott gesegne dises haus Und ales was geget ein und aus; Gott gesegne die Ehr Und da zu das ganze lant Gott alein die ehr, sonst keinen Menschen mehr, Anno 1759 jahrs. Peter Bricker, Elizabeth Brickerin"
Translated into english: "God bless this house and all that enters or goes out. God bless all the people, and also all the land. To God alone be the honor, and to no one else. A.D. 1759 Peter Bricker, Elizabeth Bricker"
A marker in the town of Brickerville states it was named after Peter Bricker in 1741, who was an early pioneer of the area and who was one of the original settlers of what is now West Cocalico Twp.. Peter died in 1760 [sic] in the area where he lived. He was buried in Kurtz Mennonite Meetinghouse, situated on the original Bricker planation. The modern day church that is associated with this cemetery is now called Cocalico Church of the Brethren (AKA COB), which lies a very short distance from his homestead. A very modest sandstone marker is located in the place where he is buried.
NOTE: Find A Grave volunteer "Lostnfog" lists the following: A man at the church told me this stone was for Peter Bricker and his death date was December 29, 1761.
--------- The news article continues with information about the extended family; letter written by Mary E. Lewis, Decatur, Ill. to a Sophie Bricker, Lititz, PA, in 1927. Mentioning Lewis's great-grandfather, John Henry Bricker, who came to the United States with his four brothers from Prussia and settled in Lancaster Co., PA. Saying that John Bricker bought land and built a stone tavern or house. A Clyde Groff researched this property and the following information is to his credit: John Bricker as owner is the earliest record of using the building as a tavern in 1800. That the building was probably erected in 1797 and not 1753 as is commonly believed. During that time, the property consisted of 95 acres and 30 perches. John and his wife Barbara had five children; Samuel, living in Chester Co.; Isaac, living in Elizabeth Twp.; Henry, living in Dauphin Co.; Evan, living in Elizabeth Twp.; and Nancy, living in Elizabeth Twp. (all in the state of PA). John Bricker is listed as the innkeeper from as early as 1800 to 1844. It seems he died in 1844 as in 1845 the inn is listed as being in the John Bricker estate. Book mentioned: History of Lancaster County (1883 by Ellis and Evans), it states that Brickerville was named after John Bricker, who built the first hotel there which lies at the crossroads of the modern day routes 322 and 501. This structure is located over eight miles from Peter Bricker's sandstone house. Although they share the same last name, it seems that Peter and John Bricker were not closely related. The rest of the article lists newspaper articles about tavern licenses; John Bricker applied for one listed in the newspaper published March 23, 1842 for Elizabeth Twp. Again published on March 15, 1843 and then one by Barbara Bricker, his widow, published on Dec. 18, 1844, for the year beginning 1845, renewing the license on Dec. 24, 1845, for the year 1846. This leads one to believe it was a inn and later a tavern. The news article then describes Brickerville and that the son of John and Barbara Bricker, Evan, applied for a license to run the hotel for the year of 1847 in an application dated Dec. 16, 1846. He also applied for and was renewed for 1848. In 1848 a sale bill advertised a property for sale as "Valuable Merchant and Saw Mills located on the property known as the Speedwell Mills". This advertisement states that the auction will be called at the public house of Evan Bricker. Which one would assume the tavern in 1848 was owned by Evan Bricker.
Burial: Cocalico Church of the Brethren Cemetery Denver Lancaster County Pennsylvania, USA
Created by: Dana Dancy Record added: Aug 07, 2011 Find A Grave Memorial# 74535366
Added by: Lostnfog
Cemetery Photo Added by: Lostnfog