Peter de Brus, Lord of Skelton, and Hawise/Helwise de Lancaster
|Also Known As:||"Piers"|
|Birthplace:||Skelton, Yorkshire, England|
|Death:||Died in Marseilles, (Present Department Bouches-du-Rhone), Provence, France|
|Place of Burial:||Guisborough, Yorkshire, England, United Kingdom|
Son of Peter de Brus and Joan de Brus (le Grammaire)
|Occupation:||Lord of Skelton and Danby|
|Managed by:||Private User|
About Peter ll de Brus, of Skelton and Danby
- Sir Peter II de Brus, Baron Skelton1,2,3,4,5,6,7
- M, #12988, b. before 1201, d. between 7 September 1240 and 7 September 1247
- Father Peter I de Brus, Baron Skelton & Danby8 d. 12 Feb 1222
- Mother Johanna de Lacy8
- Sir Peter II de Brus, Baron Skelton married Hawise de Lancaster, daughter of Sir Gilbert FitzRoger, Lord Kendal and Helewyse de Lancaster; They had 1 son (Peter III) & 5 daughters (Joan, wife of Peter de Mauley; Agnes, wife of Sir Walter de Fauconberge, 1st Lord Fauconberge; Lucy, wife of Sir Marmaduke de Thwenge; Margaret, wife of Robert de Roos; & Laderina, wife of Sir John de Bellew).3,5,6,7 Sir Peter II de Brus, Baron Skelton Crusader. He was born before 1201 at of Skelton, Yorkshire, England.5 He died between 7 September 1240 and 7 September 1247 at Marseilles, Bouche-du-Rhône, Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur, France.5
- Family Hawise de Lancaster b. c 1205
- Peter Brus, 6th & last Baron of Skelton Castle d. 1272
- Joan de Brus+9 d. b 13 Oct 1243
- Laderina de Brus+5,10 d. bt 1268 - 11 Jan 1301
- Agnes de Brus+2,5,6 d. 22 May 1286
- Margaret de Brus+3,5,7 d. c 30 Jan 1307
- Lucia de Brus+4,5,11 b. c 1223, d. a 29 Mar 1282
- [S3704] Unknown author, The Complete Peerage, by Cokayne, Vol. V, p. 268/9.
- [S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. II, p. 142.
- [S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. III, p. 295.
- [S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. IV, p. 192-193.
- [S4] Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry, Vol. I, p. 215.
- [S4] Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry, Vol. II, p. 548.
- [S4] Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry, Vol. IV, p. 301.
- [S4] Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry, Vol. I, p. 214-215.
- [S11568] The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain, and the United Kingdom, by George Edward Cokayne, Vol. VIII, p. 559.
- [S4] Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry, Vol. V, p. 32.
- [S4] Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry, Vol. V, p. 155.
- From: http://our-royal-titled-noble-and-commoner-ancestors.com/p433.htm#i12988
- Piers de Brus1
- M, #402791
- Last Edited=8 Oct 2009
- Piers de Brus married Hawise de Lancaster.1
- Child of Piers de Brus and Hawise de Lancaster
- Lucy de Brus+1
- [S1916] Tim Boyle, "re: Boyle Family," e-mail message to Darryl Roger Lundy, 16 September 2006. Hereinafter cited as "re: Boyle Family."
- From: http://www.thepeerage.com/p40280.htm#i402791
- Gilbert fitz Roger fitz Reinfried, or Gilbert the son of Roger fitzReinfrid, (died about 1220) was an Anglo-Norman feudal baron whose administrative career in England began in the time of Henry II (1154-1189), for whom his father Roger fitzReinfrid had been steward, and continued during the reigns of Richard I, King John, and Henry III.
- Henry II married Gilbert to Hawise, the heiress of the de Lancastre family of Cumbria, grand-daughter of William de Lancaster I, who had first been under the custody of the famous knight, William Marshal, 1st Earl of Pembroke. Her family's title to Kendal passed to Gilbert's control, and it was the Lancaster surname which was passed on to his children.
- .... etc.
- Gilbert died in about 1220, and was survived by his only legitimate son and heir William de Lancastre III, who married Agnes de Brus, but had no children, and also by three legitimate daughters, and one bastard son, Roger de Lancastre, who was given lordship under the king of Rydal as well as possession, under his brother and his heirs, of many other lands in Cumbria. Roger became keeper of the King's forests in northern England. After the death of William de Lancaster III, the Barony of Kendal was split into different parts, in the possession of the husbands of his sisters. There were:
- Helwise de Lancaster, who married Peter de Brus II. They were the ancestors of the possessors of the Marquis Fee part of the Barony of Kendal, long possessed by the de Ros family, and then by the Parr family. Another branch of their descendents held the so-called Lumley fee, which evolved from the Kendale holdings of their de Thweng descendents.
- Alice de Lancaster, who married William de Lyndesey, and was ancestor to the possessors of the Richmond Fee part of the Barony of Kendal.
- Serota de Lancaster, who married Alan de Multon, but had no heirs.
- Roger de Lancaster of Rydal, illegitimate son of Gilbert fitz Reinfrid, had sons, but his heir, the knight Sir John de Lancaster of Grisedale, died without an heir. Roger and John used not only the Lancaster surname, but also the same coat of arms which Gilbert fitz Reinfrid's father-in-law William de Lancaster I had used, despite the fact that their own mother was not apparently of this family.
- From: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilbert_fitz_Roger_fitz_Reinfried
- The Lord of Skelton was a title in the Peerage of England.
- Robert de Brus (??-1141/1142)
- Adam de Brus (1142-1167)
- Adam de Brus (1167-1188)
- Peter de Brus (1188-1222)
- Peter de Brus (1222-1240)
- 'Peter de Brus (1240-1272)
- From: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord_of_Skelton
Son of Peter\Piers I de BRUS , Baron of Skelton & Joan le GRAMMARIE. Married Hawise de Lancaster.
- Peter\Piers III de BRUS , Master of Skelton b: ABT 1221 in Skelton, Cleveland, Yorkshire North Riding, England.
- Joan de BRUS b: ABT 1226 in Skelton Castle, Yorkshire, England
- Agnes de BRUS , Heiress of Marske & Eastburn b: ABT 1230 in Marske, Guisborough, Yorkshire, England
- Lucy de BRUS b: ABT 1234 in Skelton Castle, Yorkshire, England
- Margaret de BRUS , Heiress of Kendal b: ABT 1238 in Skelton Castle, Yorkshire, England
- Laderane (Laderina\Luderaine) de BRUS b: ABT 1241 in Skelton, Cleveland, Yorkshire North Riding, England
From the Celtic Casimir online family tree:
Peter II DE BRUS Baron of Skelton & Danby 593,4172,8306
Born: Abt 1195, Skelton Castle, Yorkshire, England 4173
Died: 7 Sep 1241 4172
1. Alternate Birth; Abt 1181.
2. Alternate Death; Before 1247. 4173
Peter married Hawise DE LANCASTER, daughter of Gilbert FITZ REINFRID Lord of Kendal and Hawise DE LANCASTER 593. (Hawise DE LANCASTER was born about 1200 in Kendal, Westmorland, England and died before 1246 8333.)
From Darryl Lundy's Peerage page on Sir Piers de Brus II:
Sir Piers de Brus II1
Last Edited=3 Jan 2005
Sir Piers de Brus II married Hawise FitzReinfrid, daughter of Sir Gilbert FitzRoger FitzReinfrid, Lord of Kendal.2
Sir Piers de Brus II lived at Skelton Castle, Yorkshire, England.1 He lived at Danby, Yorkshire, England.2
Children of Sir Piers de Brus II and Hawise FitzReinfrid
1.Ladereyne de Brus+1 d. b 3 Dec 1293
2.Sir Piers de Brus III2 d. 18 Sep 1272
1.[S6] G.E. Cokayne; with Vicary Gibbs, H.A. Doubleday, Geoffrey H. White, Duncan Warrand and Lord Howard de Walden, editors, The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain and the United Kingdom, Extant, Extinct or Dormant, new ed., 13 volumes in 14 (1910-1959; reprint in 6 volumes, Gloucester, U.K.: Alan Sutton Publishing, 2000), volume II, page 101. Hereinafter cited as The Complete Peerage.
2.[S2] Peter W. Hammond, editor, The Complete Peerage or a History of the House of Lords and All its Members From the Earliest Times, Volume XIV: Addenda & Corrigenda (Stroud, Gloucestershire, U.K.: Sutton Publishing, 1998), page 83. Hereinafter cited as The Complete Peerage, Volume XIV. -------------------- Proprietor of Skelton Castle in Yorkshire. -------------------- died 1247 on Crusade.
Baron of Skelton
Peter ll de Brus, of Skelton and Danby's Timeline
Skelton, Yorkshire, England
Skelton Castle, Yorkshire, England
Skelton Castle, Yorkshire, , England
Skelton Castle, North Yorkshire, England, (Present UK)
Goole, East Riding of Yorkshire, England
September 7, 1241
Marseilles, (Present Department Bouches-du-Rhone), Provence, France
Skelton, East Riding, Yorkshire, England
England, (Present UK)
Guisborough, Yorkshire, England, United Kingdom