About Peter Lurvey, Sr.
Peter Lurvey and his wife Mary were at Ipswich, Massachusetts as early as 1670. He is said to have been a Russian Jew from Archangel, Russia, who, after living for a time in England, determined to migrate to America.
William Monroe Newton, in his "History of Barnard Vermont" quotes Dr. W.A. Dewey who assisted him in compiling his book:
"The name Lurvey is a good transliteration of the German [Loewe] which is a common name among German Jews. There is a tradition in the Lurvey family that the first Lurvey who immigrated to Massachusetts in the 17th century [Peter Lurvey] was of Jewish descent, and came from Archangel in Russia. It is noticeable that many of the Lurveys have Old Testament names such as Reuben, Levi, Samuel, Issac, and Jacob, and that their noses tend to be aquiline."
Peter and his wife Mary had two sons, Peter, and Eliezer; and one daughter, Mary. Eliezer 's family settled in Haverhill, Bradford, and eventually Vermont, while Mary married John Stockwell and remained in Ipswich.
- Arthaud, John Bradley, and Ernest Hyde Helliwell III, "The Peter Lurvey Family of Essex County, Massachusetts, Maine, and Vermont," New England Historical and Genealogical Register, 154 (Oct. 2000), 387–409.
- "The Peter Lurvey Family of Essex County, Massachusetts, Maine, and Vermont, (continued: Part Two)," New England Historical and Genealogical Register, 155 (Jan. 2001), 69–90.
- Descendants of Edward Small of New England, and the allied families, with tracings of English ancestry, Volume 2. Lora Altine Woodbury Underhill. Priv. print. at the Riverside Press, 1910, University of California. Page: p. 1009
- Vital Records of Gloucester, Essex County Massachusetts to the End of the Year 1849
Publication: (The Essex Institute, Salem MA, 1924) Page: p. 201 - marriages
- The Elwell family in America ; a genealogy of Robert Elwell, of Dorchester and Gloucester, Mass. Elwell, Jacob Thomas, Pope, Charles Henry, Boston, Mass. : C.H. Pope 1899
Page: p. 12
- Massachusetts and Maine Families in the Ancestry of Walter Goodwin Davis. Vol. II., Walter Goodwin Davis, Genalogical Publishing Company, 1996, Page: p. 511