Pierre-Michel's Top Matches
About Pierre-Michel Lefèbvre dit Descoteaux
Arrived in Canada circa 1640. Captured by Iriquois in 1648, escaped. He was 1st ancestor of names Lefebvre, Lafaivre, Lefevene in Canada.
Dictionaire Genealogique des Familles Canadiennes p 263
your ancient Canadian family ties p 198; LDS microfische -------------------- "The Journal of the Jesuits reported that on 4 July 1648, our ancestor was captured by the Iroquois... Pierre Lefebvre spent three long months as a captive among the Iroquois..."
Thomas J. Laforest Our French-Canadian Ancestors : Volume VI, Page 136
"Certain genealogists assert that ancestor Lefebvre arrived in New France already married to Jeanne Aunois, but it is more likely that their marriage was celebrated at Trois-Rivieres about 1646. Neither the civil nor marriage record have been recovered. However, a contract recorded by Serverin Ameau, dated 2 September 1663, indicates that our ancestor was a native of Sceaux and that his father was also named Pierre."
Thomas J. Laforest Our French-Canadian Ancestors : Volume VI, Page 135
PIERRE-MICHEL LEFEBVRE DIT3 DESCÔTEAUX (PIERRE2 LEFEBVRE, JULIEN1)3,4 was born October 20, 1616 in Sceau near Antony, France - Arc, Paris; Ile-de-France5,6, and died July 16, 1668 in Cap-de-la-Madeleine, Québec6. He married JEANNE AUNOIS7 1646 in Trois-Rivières, Québec7. She was born 1621, and died February 11, 1696/97 in Trois-Rivières, Québec.
Notes for PIERRE-MICHEL LEFEBVRE DIT DESCÔTEAUX: (From an article that appeared (in french) in LE NOUVELLISTE (a daily newspaper in Trois Rivières, Québec) on October 18, 1980. Written by Jacques St.Onge and translated into English by Gérald Lefebvre in December 1999
During the mid XVIIth century, Pierre LEFEBVRE was a well respected and most prominent citizen of Trois Rivières. The founder of America
s oldest Lefebvre family, today our ancestor can count among his descendants all those who carry the names of Denoncourt, Descoteaux, Lemerise, Lassisseraye and many more who carry the name of Beaulac, Belisle, Senneville etc.
Pierre Lefebvre, the pioneer, arrived here in the early 1640
s and is one of the important citizens of Trois Rivières. He was a défricheur (Clearer of land), Syndic (Municipal Councilor), builder, surveyor, Marguiller (churchwardens) and arbitrator. The city of Cap-de-la-Madeleine can also claim him as a pioneer of their city because Pierre and his family lived there for a while and probably died there in 1668.
A remarkably intelligent man, this notable builder, like many other Lefebvre
s came here from France. Born in the Paris area, he was the son of Pierre Lefebvre and Jeanne Cutiloup. Pierre arrived here from Sceaux (1) in around 1642. His presence in Trois Rivières is first noted on April 11, 1643 (2) in a court case involving the Leneuf brothers, Michel and Jacques, and Guillaume Isabel (3). The Leneuf brothers were accused of kicking and punching Isabel. The Leneufs did not seem to resent that Pierre was called as a witness to the incident because on January 12, 1647, Jacques Leneuf and Marie Margerie will become godparents to Jacques, the eldest son of Pierre Lefebvre.
Some genealogists seem to think that Pierre arrived in la Nouvelle-France already married to Jeanne Aunois (4), but their wedding probably took place here in Trois Rivières around 1646. We never found the register or the marriage contract to verify this, but papers prepared by the lawyer Sévarin Ameau on September 2, 1663 (5) indicate that Pierre was born in Sceaux and that his father was also called Pierre.
On August 15, 1644 (6), Pierre purchased his first land from Governor Charles Huault de Montmagny. According to historian Marcel Trudel (7), this lot had 30 acres ( about 1.8 acres by 17 acres deep) and was bordered by land owned by the heirs of Etienne Vien, another owned by Jacques Aubuchon dit le Loyal and a third owned by the savages. On today
s city map, the Lefebvre property would be located on rue Saint-Prosper, behind Saint-Joseph Hospital and bordered by rue Bédard, rue Saint Réal, boulevard Saint-Louis and 6th avenue.
On April 16, 1647 (8), la Compagnie de la Nouvelle-France accepted Pierre Lefebvre as a member of the select class, if not as a Seigneur, then as one of the large land owners. It will be granting to him, as well as to Nicolas Marsolet, a territory with a frontage of 1/4 lieue (l lieue is approximately 5.5 km) by 1 lieue in depth. The south-east limit of this land is at the mouth of the Gentilly River. The Domaine de Marsolat situated next to the Lefebvre property will be granted to him as a fief and Seigniory, avec haute, moyenne et basse justice. For Pierre, this is simply an administrative arrangement, as is confirmed by a land deed dated 1667-1668. The Seigniory de Gentilly will be acquired by Michel Peltier de Laprade in two phases: the Lefebvre section by his heirs in 1669 and the Marsolet section in another transaction in 1671. The two pieces of land will become one fief 1676 (9).
On the first of June, 1647 (10), the Governor Montmagny will grant another favor to Pierre Lefebvre as well as to Guillaume Pépin, Guillaume Isabel and Sébastien Dodier, he will permit them to abandon l
île du Milieu (11). This island will be owned for a short time by Guillaume Guillermot Duplessis-Kerbdot a governor of Trois Rivières, in 1652, it will later be donated to the Jesuits. in 1654
s Journal (12) dated the 4th of July, 1648 reports the capture of Pierre Lefebvre by the Iroquois (14). "Many things have happened in Trois-Rivières during the month of July that involved the Iroquois. The following will be found in the letters going to the archives or in other correspondence, namely the capture of two of our Frenchmen, Pierre Le Febvre and a nephew of M. de la Poterie." (13)
In 1648, Father Jérôme Lalemant writes the following description of the events to Father Etiènne Charlet, Provincial of the Jesuits in France (14): "The next day, on July 14th, an Algonquin discovered the footprints of the enemy and alerted Monsieur de la Poterie, who in turn alerted the inhabitants by the sound of a bell and not a volley of canon, the normal signal to be on guard. Five Hurons who were close to the area where two of our Frenchmen, who were guarding the livestock, were already fighting off the enemy, joined the battle. At least 80 Iroquois attacking. Two armed challoupes (boats) were dispatched; but before they got there the Iroquois had already killed one Frenchman and a Huron and had taken two Frenchmen and two Hurons as prisoners. Even if they were ten to one the Iroquois were surely scared off when they saw how many of their own were killed and injured by so few Frenchmen. One of the two Frenchmen was the nephew of Monsieur de la Poterie, who had ventured a little too far to hunt and ended up in a trap without knowing how he got in: the Huron who was killed was a good Christian, like the Frenchmen he had been to confession on the Sunday before. The captured Hurons were not baptized; as for the French prisoners, they had lived an exceptionally good life, but they were to say the least a little bit responsible for their fate, they had gone too far when they knew the enemy well." Pierre Lefebvre will be a prisoner of the Iroquois for three long months, he will come back in October accompanied by one of them called le Berger (the Shepard), who had previously escaped from his guards at Trois-Rivières.
On June 14, 1650 (15), Pierre Lefebvre purchases a lot within the walls of the fort at Trois Rivières from Jean Lauzon, lieutenant general, acting for la Compagnie de la Nouvelle-France. This lot measured approximately 20 meters by 20 meters, and was located next to the wall between rue Saint-François-Xavier and a lot owned by Bertrand Fafard dit Laframboise. A house owned by Pierre and Fafard occupied this lot. Thirteen years later, in a law suit by Pierre against Jacques Aubuchon and René Besnard, it is revealed that this house, which would now be located on Turcotte Terrace, is roofless and in poor condition. Pierre will later become the owner of a small island called l
Islet (16), it is 1 acre in size and is situated at the mouth of the Saint-Maurice River between the mainland and lîle de la Trinité (Saint-Quentin).
The Lefebvre family moved to Cap-de-la-Madeleine in 1656. On May 11th (17) of that year, Martin Boutet , a Quebec priest, professor of mathematics and trustee for the succession of Antoine Denys dit Saint-Denys, sold two acres of land located in the Seigneurie du Cap-de-la-Madeleine to Pierre Lefebvre, this land had a 2 acre frontage and was 20 acres deep. This land had been transferred to the Denys family in 1651 and was bordered by the Claude David property and le Domaine des Jesuits. Today, the front of this land is occupied by the Oblats Monastery and the south east limit would be along rue Saint-Maurice.
Pierre Lefebvre was a Syndic des habitants in 1658 and in 1660, and marguiller in 1663. On April 13th of that year (18), Pierre and his wife will make mutual donation. On November 26th 1664 (19) , Pierre and two other wise men of that era, Pierre Boucher and Jean Cusson will arbitrate a case involving Father Jacques Fremin and Pierre Couc dit Lafleur. The later had been seen working on the construction site of the first church in Trois Rivières..Benjamin Sulte (20) wrote "Pierre Lefebvre held an honorable rank in Trois-Rivières and was one of the principal contributors to the building of the first church in this city (1664). His numerous descendants could form a regiment".
The Lefebvres are on the census list in Trois-Rivières in 1666 and 1667. That year, he hires three servants: Noël Carpentier, Jean Leduc et Jean Vintonneau; they take care of seven animals and work the 80 acres of land, a considerable estate for the time. On January 30,1666 (21), Father Fremin, bursar for the Jesuits, gives a property of 2 acres to our pioneer. This property faces on the river and is located in the Seigneurie du Cap-de-la-Madeleine. This is where the Lefebvres will live from then on and where two years later the head of the family will pass away.
All that we do know is that during the summer of 1668, Pierre, because he probably felt his future demise , will put all of his affairs in order. On July 11 (22), he will give the fief de Gentilly to his son in law, the surgeon Dr. Félix Thunaye dit Dufresne. It will later be sold to Michel Peltier, who will start to work the land and who in turn will give it to his son in law François Poisson. On the previous January 20th , he had distributed all his assets to his seven children: Jacques, Michel, Ignace, Ange, Pierre, Catherine and Elizabeth.
"This most valued citizen, writes Father Archange Godbout about Pierre Lefebvre, was confined to his home in Cap-de-la-Madeleine, on July 16, 1668 (23). Because of the loss of the town
s registry, we cannot confirm the exact date of his death, but we do know that Jeanne Auneau (Aunois) was a widow on October 12, 1670." This is confirmed by a marriage contract between Jacques, his oldest son and future seigneur of Baie-du Febvre, to Marie Beaudry, daughter of Urbain Beaudry, the blacksmith, whom we can also describe as an one of the oldest citizens and honorable pioneer of the town of Laviolette
As to Jeanne Aunois, she was still living in 1681, as confirmed in a census of Cap-de-la-Madeleine. She was 54 years old and three sons were still at home, Michel, Ignace and Pierre. They probably helped with the livestock and the 40 acres of cleared and workable land.
(1) Sceaux, is the administrative center of an area located at the south end of Paris, in the Departement de la Seine. Here a XVIIthl century church is still existing.
(2) Trois-Rivière archives, Document divers II, page 42.
(3) Guillaume Isabel whose daughter Jeanne in 1667 will marry Jean Lepelé dit Desmarets, the ancestor of the Lamothe family of Champlain.
(4) Notes by Father Archange Godbout (a pioneer of Trois Rivères) maintains that Aunois is wrong and that it is probably Auneau (Auno or Aunos). Nevertheless Jeanne
s name all official documents is Aunois.
(5) Marriage contract between Catherine Lefebvre, daughter of Pierre Lefebvre and Jeanne Aunois, and Antoine Trottier. Son of Gilles and Catherine Loyseau.
(6) found in the minutes of lawyer Pierre-Jacques Beaudry who practiced in Montreal between 1843 and 1867,
(7) Le terrier du St. Laurent in 1663, pages 361 and 362.
(8) Inventaire de concession en fief et Seigneurie, fois et hommage et aveux et dénombrement, volume 1 page 245
(9) Marcel Trudel, Le terrier du St. Laurent page 482.
(10) Secretary to Henry Bancherons
(11) Today l
(12) 1973 edition, page 112 and 117
(13) According to Father Godbout (livre Cité, page 41) This could be Guy Pouterel, son of Jean Pouterel du Colombier and Louise Leneuf du Hérisson. Guy was buried in Trois-Rivières on December 29th, 1655
(14) Relation de la Nouvelle-France in 1648, tome 4, pages 7 & 8.
(15) Secretary to Henry Bancherons
(16) We could not find this Isle on a modern map, it has disappeared.
(17) Trudel, Terrier, page 330
(18) Acte de Séverin Ameau
(19) Acte de Jacques de la Tousche
(20) Premier seigneurs du Canada 1634-1664, Mémoire de la Société Royale du Canada Section I 1883, page 135
(21) Acte de Jacques de la Tousche
(22) Same lawyer
(23) Secretary to Séverin Ameau http://www.apointinhistory.net/lefebvre.php
Pierre Lefèbvre dit Descoteaux, Sieur de Gentilly's Timeline
October 20, 1616
Sceaux, Hauts-de-Seine, Île-de-France, France
January 11, 1647
Trois-Rivières, St-Maurice Co., Québec, Canada
December 4, 1648
Trois Rivieres, St. Maurice, Quebec, Canada
May 15, 1651
Trois-Rivières, St-Maurice Co., Québec, Canada
March 3, 1654
St. Maurice, Trois-Rivières, , Québec, Canada
April 3, 1656
St Maurice, Trois Reivieres, Montmorency, Quebec, Canada
September 19, 1658
St. Maurice, Trois-Rivières, , Québec, Canada
September 30, 1661
Trois-Rivières, St-Maurice Co., Québec, Canada
July 16, 1668