Pierre's Top Matches
About Pierre Moragne
Pierre ("Peter") Moragne was b. 16 Nov 1740 in Southern France and came to America when he was 24 years old. His first wife died while the Huguenots were in England; and, on 16 July 1765, he married Cecille Bayle. Their wedding is believed to be the first to take place in the New Bordeaux settlement. Pierre died ca 1816.
Pierre kept a diary during the journey from France to South Carolina. In the diary he records commonplace items such as what his food cost, as well as important matters such as the deaths of those in the Huguenot company.
Their children were:
- 1. Pierre MORAGNE, married Susannah DAVID. Their children were:
- A. Jeanne MORAGNE, m Louis GIBERT
- B. Susanne MORAGNE
- C. Cecille MORAGNE
- D. Marie MORAGNE
- E. Pierre Boyer MORAGNE b 20 Aug 1804 m Rachel Amanda ALLEN, b 28 Dec 1821 d 12 Nov 1856
- 2. Francis MORAGNE, m. Mrs. Susan GUILLEBEAUX BOUCHILLON. Their son was
Pierre Francis MORAGNE who m. Mary Ann TODD.
- 3. John MORAGNE, m. Katherine WILLIAMS. They were parents of thirteen children. (not listed in the text)
- 4. Isaac MORAGNE b. 1771 d 13 Mar 1850 m Margaret Blanton CAINE who d 28 Oct 1852 at 53 years of age. They were parents of nine children.
- A. Mary E MORAGNE, b 1816, d 1903. m Rev W H DAVIS, a Presbyterian
minister, in 1842. Mary kept a journal of family and community affairs which is the subject of a book entitle "The Neglected Thread....1836-1842"
- *B. William Caine MORAGNE, b 1818 d 1862 m Emma BUTLER. He studied in Berlin and Heidelberg, Germany.
- C. John B MORAGNE, b 16 Oct 1819 d 18 Sep 1847 in the Mexican War
- D. Isaac MORAGNE, M.D. d 14 Dec 1852 m. Mary FLEMING
- E. Catherine Bathsheba MORAGNE m. Porter FLEMING
- F. Nathaniel MORAGNE, M.D., married Alice MOSELEY
- G. Louis MORAGNE
- H. Francis MORAGNE, d 1845, m Ann Eliza _______
- I. Edward MORAGNE
- 5. Marie MORAGNE, m Pierre ROGERS. Their children were:
- A. Moses Moragne ROGERS
- B. Dyonisius ROGERS
- C. Louis ROGERS, m. William SAYRE
- D. Mary ROGERS, 2nd wife of William SAYRE
Links to additional material:
- http://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth29499/m1/24/ [includes excerpts from Pierre's diary]
Pierre Moragne's Timeline
November 16, 1740
July 16, 1765
New Bordeaux, Abbeville, South Carolina
July 11, 1774
New Bordeaux, Ninety-Six, South Carolina