About Rachel Leila Douglas-Home, 27th Baroness Dacre
Rachel Leila Douglas-Home, 27th Baroness Dacre (née Brand, 24 October 1929) is a British peeress, daughter of Thomas Brand, 4th Viscount Hampden & 26th Baron Dacre and Leila Emily Seely, a granddaughter of Sir Charles Seely, 1st Baronet, and a great-great granddaughter of John Russell, 6th Duke of Bedford.
She is a great granddaughter of William Montagu Douglas Scott, 6th Duke of Buccleuch and through him a direct descendant of Charles II of England.
On 26 July 1951, she married the Hon. William Douglas-Home, son of the 13th Earl of Home, and younger brother of the future Prime Minister and 14th Earl of Home, Sir Alec Douglas-Home.
They had four children:
- Hon. James Thomas Archibald Douglas-Home (b. 16 May 1952), married Christine Stephenson and had one daughter.
- Sarah Douglas-Home (b. 4 July 1954), married Nicholas Dent.
- Gian Leila Douglas-Home (b. 23 June 1958)
- Hon. Dinah Douglas-Home (b. 1964), married Harry Marriott.
In 1970, the abeyance of her father's barony of Dacre was terminated in her favour.
- The Peerage database
- 'Rachel Leila Brand, Baroness Dacre1
- 'F, #37155, b. 24 October 1929
- Last Edited=21 Feb 2011
- Consanguinity Index=0.4%
- ' Rachel Leila Brand, Baroness Dacre was born on 24 October 1929.1 She is the daughter of Thomas Henry Brand, 4th Viscount Hampden of Glynde and Leila Emily Seely.1 She married Hon. William Douglas-Home, son of Charles Cospatrick Archibald Douglas-Home, 13th Earl of Home and Lady Lillian Lambton, on 26 July 1951.2
- ' Her married name became Douglas-Home. She succeeded to the title of 27th Baroness Dacre [E., 1321] in 1970, suo jure, when the abeyance of the barony was terminated in her favour.1
- 'Children of Rachel Leila Brand, Baroness Dacre and Hon. William Douglas-Home
- 1.Hon. James Thomas Archibald Douglas-Home+1 b. 16 May 1952
- 2.Hon. Sarah Douglas-Home+1 b. 4 Jul 1954
- 3.Hon. Gian Leila Douglas-Home1 b. 23 Jun 1958
- 4.Hon. Dinah Lilian Douglas-Home+1 b. 22 Jan 1964
- 1.[S37] Charles Mosley, editor, Burke's Peerage, Baronetage & Knightage, 107th edition, 3 volumes (Wilmington, Delaware, U.S.A.: Burke's Peerage (Genealogical Books) Ltd, 2003), volume 1, page 1013. Hereinafter cited as Burke's Peerage and Baronetage, 107th edition.
- 2.[S37] Charles Mosley, Burke's Peerage and Baronetage, 107th edition, volume 2, page 1950.