|Nicknames:||"Randolph (5Th Son Of Randolph & Catherine) /(23)/", "5th Son Of Duke Of Westmoreland /Randolph/", "Randolph /FitzRandolph/"|
|Managed by:||Walter Dietrich|
About Randolph (FitzRandolph) Neville
'Fitz Randolph Traditions: A Story of a Thousand Years (1907)
- CHAPTER IX
- Review of Line of Descent from Rolf the Norseman to Edward the Pilgrim
- Here, then, once more the writer pauses to recapitulate his ascertainments and conclusions. To the following ancestral story - here given in merest outlne - any American Fitz Randolph, who has been at the trouble of tracing his lineage back to Edward the Pilgrim, may, we believe, safely and reasonably link his line.
- (1) ROLF - The norseman Conqueror. Born about A.D. 860. Died A.D. 932. Married Gisela, daughter of King Charles of France.
- (2) WILLIAM, "Longsword" - Duke of Normandy. Died about 943.
- (3) RICHARD, "The Fearless" - Duke of Normandy. Reigned more than half a century. Died A.D. 996.
- (4) RICHARD, "The Good" - Duke of Normandy. Died A.D. 1026.
- (5) RICHARD - Duke of Normandy. Whose wife was Judith. He died A.D. 1028. [He was father of Robert "The Magnificent," whose son was William "The Conqueror," and he was brother of Avicia, who married Geoffrey, Duke of Brittany.]
- (6) GEOFFREY, AVICIA.
- (7) EUDO - Duke of Brittany. Married Agnes, daughter of Alan, and died in 1079.
- (8) RIBALD - Lord of Middleham. [Brother to Alan Rufus, Duke of Richmond, and to Stephen and to Bardolf.] Married Beatrix, and spent his last days in retirement at St. Mary's Abbey, York.
- (9) RANDOLPH - Lord of Middleham. Married Agatha, daughter of the first Robert of Bruce.
- (10) ROBERT FITZ RANDOLPH - Lord of Middleham. Who built the Castle of Middleham and married Helewisa de Glanville.
- (11) RANDOLPH FITZ RANDOLPH - Lord of Middleham. Married Mary, daughter of Roger Bigot, Duke of Norfolk.
- (12) RANDOLPH FITZ RANDOLPH - Lord of Middleham. Who married Anastasia, daughter of William, Lord Percy.
- (13) MARY FITZ RANDOLPH. Daughter of Randolph and Anastasia, a rich, religious and benevolent woman who married Robert de Neville. She died A.D. 1320, having survived her husband 49 years.
- (14) RANDOLPH DE NEVILLE - Lord of Middleham. Whose second wife was Margaret, daughter of Marmaduke Thweng. Died 1332.
- (15) RANDOLPH DE NEVILLE - Lord of Middleham. Who married Alicia, daughter of Hugo de Audley. Died 1358.
- (16) JOHN DE NEVILL - Lord of Middleham. Who married Matilda Percy.* Died 1389.
- (17) RANDOLPH DE NEVILLE - Lord of Middleham and first Earl of Westmorland. Whose first wife was Margaret (daughter of Hugo), Lady Stafford - descended from Edward I - and whose second wife was Joan of Beaufort, daughter of John of Gaunt and granddaughter of Edward III. He died in 1435. By his second wife his posterity runs into and adown the English royal line. See page 36. We now follow the posterity of the Earl of Westmoreland by his first wife, Lady Stafford.
- (18) JOHN (the children of whose brother Randolph were all daughters) married Elizabeth, daughter of Thomas Holland, Earl of Canterbury. He died two years before his father, in 1433.
- (19) JOHN, heir presumptive f to the dukedom of Westmoreland. Was hero of the battle of Towton, in the year 1461, and bravely lost his life there on the Lancastrian side. He had married Anna, the widow of John de Neville.
- (20) RANDOLPH - Duke of Westmoreland. (Son of John and Anna) married Margaret, daughter of Booth de Barton of Lancaster.
- (21) RANDOLPH, Heir presumptive. Died during his father's lifetime; married Edith, daughter of the Earl of Sandwich.
- (22) RANDOLPH - Duke of Westmoreland. (Son of Randolph and Edith), married Catherine, daughter of Edward, Duke of Buckingham.* Died 1524.
- (23) RANDOLPH - fifth son of Randolph and Catherine. The first son being Henry, whose son Charles was the last in the line of these dukes of Westmoreland, and the other sons being Thomas, Edward, Christopher and Cuthbert. Died probably about 1565.
- (24) CHRISTOPHER FITZ RANDOLPH (son of Randolph, fifth son of Duke of Westmoreland). Married Joan, daughter and heiress of Cuthbert Langton of Langton Hall. Died 1588.
- (25) EDWARD FITZ RANDOLPH of Langton Hall. With whom was found and in whom was confirmed by the "Visitation" of 1614 the Fitz Randolph Arms substantially as borne by the Lords of Middleham and by the Spennithorne branch of Fitz Randolph. Died probably about 1635.
- (26) EDWARD FITZ RANDOLPH - Pilgrim. Married May 10, 1637, at Scituate, Mass., to Elizabeth Blossom, daughter of Thomas and Anne Blossom. Moved to Piscataway, N. J., 1669. Died 1675.