About Reginald Scott, Knight
Sir Reginald Scott Of Scott's Hall, Captain Of Calais Castle, Temp. Henry VIII. High Sheriff Of Kent, 1541-42.
- Sir Reginald Scott, Sheriff of Kent, Captain of Calais & Sangatte1,2,3
- M, b. circa 1512, d. 16 December 1554
- Father Sir John Scott, Sheriff of Kent, Burgess of New Romney1,4 b. b 1485, d. 7 Oct 1533
- Mother Anne Pympe1,4 b. b 1484, d. bt Aug 1524 - 16 Feb 1540
- Sir Reginald Scott, Sheriff of Kent, Captain of Calais & Sangatte was born circa 1512 at of Scott's Hall, Smeeth, Kent, England.1,3 He married Emelyn Kempe, daughter of Sir William Kempe, Sheriff of Kent and Eleanor Browne, before 1537; They had 1 son (Sir Thomas) and 2 daughters (Katherine, wife of John Baker; & Anne, wife of Walter Mayney).1,5,2,3 Sir Reginald Scott, Sheriff of Kent, Captain of Calais & Sangatte married Mary Tuke, daughter of Sir Bryan Tuke and Grissell Boughton, before 1542; They had 5 sons (Bryan; Charles, Esq; Henry, Gent; George, Gent; & William) and 4 daughters (Ursula, wife of Lawrence Rooke; Mary, wife of Richard Argall, Esq; Elizabeth, wife of William Heyman; & Margaret, wife of Thomas Rooke).1,3 Sir Reginald Scott, Sheriff of Kent, Captain of Calais & Sangatte left a will on 4 September 1554.3 He died on 16 December 1554 at Scott's Hall, Smeeth, Kent, England; Buried at Brabourne, Kent.3 His estate was probated on 13 February 1555.3
- Family 1 Emelyn Kempe b. c 1517, d. b 1542
- Sir Thomas Scott, Sheriff of Kent+3 b. c 1537, d. 30 Dec 1594
- Catherine Scott6,1 b. c 1540
- Family 2 Mary Tuke b. c 1512, d. a Jun 1555
- 1.[S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 335.
- 2.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. III, p. 276.
- 3.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. IV, p. 2.
- 4.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. IV, p. 1-2.
- 5.[S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 555-556.
- 6.[S2301] Unknown author, Stemmata Robertson & Durdin., p. 223.
- From: http://our-royal-titled-noble-and-commoner-ancestors.com/p2836.htm#i85203
- Sir Reginald Scott1
- M, #219832
- Last Edited=1 Mar 2007
- Sir Reginald Scott lived at Scott Hall, England.1
- Child of Sir Reginald Scott
- 1.Catherine Scott+1
- 1.[S2172] Barry Watson, "re: BAker Family," e-mail message to Darryl Roger Lundy, 28 February 2007. Hereinafter cited as "re: Baker Family."
- From: http://www.thepeerage.com/p21984.htm#i219832
- Reginald Scott1
- M, b. 1495, d. 16 December 1554
- Reginald Scott married Mary Tuke. Reginald Scott was born in 1495 at Scotts Hall, Brabourn, Kent, England. He was the son of John Scott and Anne Pympe. Reginald Scott died on 16 December 1554 at Smeeth, Kent, England.
- Child of Reginald Scott and Mary Tuke
- Mary Scott+ b. 1546, d. 1588
- 1.[S132] Aileen Lewers Langston and J. Orton Buck Jr, Charlemagne's Descendants-II, p. 28.
- From: http://www.charlemagne.org/p89.htm#i2936
- Sir Thomas Scott (1535 – 30 December 1594), of Scot's Hall in Kent, was an English Member of Parliament (MP).
- He was the eldest son of Sir Reginald Scott, a member of one of the leading families in the county, and quickly became prominent in public affairs. He was knighted in 1571, served as MP for Kent in the parliaments of 1571 and 1586-7, and was High Sheriff in 1576. He was also a Deputy Lieutenant, a commissioner for draining and improving Romney Marsh, and was in charge of the improvement of Dover harbour.
- "Scott, William (d.1350)". Dictionary of National Biography. London: Smith, Elder & Co. 1885–1900.
- J. E. Neale, Elizabeth and her Parliaments 1559-1581 (London: Jonathan Cape, 1953)
- J E Neale, Elizabeth and her Parliaments 1584-1601 (London: Jonathan Cape, 1957)
- From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Scott_(of_Scot%27s_Hall)
- Dictionary of National Biography, 1885-1900, Volume 51
- Scott, William (d.1350) by James McMullen Rigg
- SCOTT, Sir WILLIAM (d. 1350), judge, and reputed founder of the Kentish family of Scot's Hall, is said to have been son of John Scott who resided at Brabourne, Kent, apparently as seneschal of the manor. But the pedigree of the Scot's Hall family has not been traced with certainty before the fifteenth century. The judge, according to a wholly untrustworthy tradition, was descended from a younger brother of John de Baliol [q. v.], king of Scotland, and also of Alexander de Baliol [q. v.], lord of Chilham, Kent. William Scott makes his first appearance as a pleader in the year-book for 1330 (Michaelmas term). He was made serjeant-at-law in 1334–5, and on 18 March 1336–7 justice of the common pleas, having been knighted the day before, when the Black Prince was created Duke of Cornwall. In December 1340, with Chief-justice Sir Robert Parning [q. v.] and other judges, he sat at Westminster to try their delinquent colleague, Sir Richard de Willoughby [q. v.] He has been doubtfully identified with William Scott, who was knight marshal of England, and is said, according to an epitaph recorded by Weever, to have been buried in Brabourne church in 1350. But there was a William Scott who purchased land at Brabourne between 1352 and 1396, and was assessed to the sixteenth from 1349 to 1372. There is no proof, as is commonly stated, that the judge was father of Michael Scott, who in 1346–7 was assessed to the sixteenth in Bircholt.
- Obscurity in the history of the family of Scott of Scot's Hall ceases with the settlement by Peter de Coumbe in 1402 of the manor of Combe or Coumbe in Brabourne on William Scott (d. 1434), who was escheator for Kent in 1425, sheriff in 1428, and M.P. in 1430. Before 1409 he married his first wife, Joan, daughter of Sir John de Orlestone (d 1397), and by purchase or inheritance he acquired the manor and church of Orlestone, which had belonged to her family. He presented to the church in 1426, 1430, and 1433. He is believed to have built on the manor of Hall the mansion-house afterwards known as Scot's Hall. To him also was probably due the reconstruction in the Perpendicular style of the chapel of the Holy Trinity to the south of the chancel in Brabourne church, at the entrance of which he directed that he should be buried (cf. Weever). He died on 5 Feb. 1433–4. His second wife was Isabella, youngest daughter of Vincent Herbert, alias Finch, of Netherfield, Sussex (ancestor of the earls of Winchilsea); she survived him, and remarried Sir Gervase Clifton, treasurer of the household to Henry VI, who resided at Brabourne. By his second wife William Scott had, with other issue, an heir, John, and William (d 1491). The latter was lord of the manor of Woolstan, and founder of the family of Scott of Chigwell, Essex.
- The heir, Sir John Scott (d. 1485) of Scot's Hall, a consistent Yorkist, was appointed sheriff of Kent in 1460, and, on the accession of Edward IV next year, was knighted and made comptroller of the household. Edward IV, on the attainder in 1461 of Thomas, baron de Roos, and James Butler, earl of Wiltshire, gave him the castle and manor of Wilderton and Molash in Kent and the manor of Old Swinford and Snodsbury in Worcestershire, with a life interest in the castle and manor of Chilham. He was one of the negotiators of the treaty of commerce with Burgundy, concluded at Brussels on 24 Nov. 1467, and of the marriage treaty [see Margaret, Duchess of Burgundy], and one of the commission for the delimitation of the Pale of Picardy, appointed on 18 June 1472. He was returned to parliament for Kent in 1467, and was engaged in the following years on diplomatic negotiations with the Hanse Towns. In 1471 he succeeded Richard Neville, earl Warwick, whom he was sent to arrest in France after the battle of Stamford (May 1470), as lieutenant of Dover Castle, warden of the Cinque ports, and marshal of Calais, and continued in active diplomatic employment. He died on 17 Oct. 1485, and was buried in the north wall of the chancel of Brabourne church. His arms are in the north window of ‘the martyrdom’ at Canterbury Cathedral. His account-book (1463–6) was printed in ‘Archæologia Cant.’ vol. x. By his wife Agnes (d. 1487), daughter of William de Beaufitz of the Grange, Gillingham, Kent, he had, with two daughters, an heir, William. The statement that Thomas Rotherham [q. v.] was a younger son is without foundation.
- Sir William Scott (1459–1524) of Brabourne was concerned in the siege of Bodiam Castle in 1483–4, for which and other delinquencies he received a pardon on the accession of Henry VII. Rising in favour with that monarch, he was sworn of the privy council, appointed comptroller of the household, and created C.B. with Prince Arthur on 29 Nov. 1489. He was also lieutenant of Dover Castle, warden of the Cinque ports, and marshal of Calais in 1490–1, sheriff of Kent the same year, in 1501 and 1516. In 1495 he succeeded to the manor of Brabourne on the death, without issue, of Joan, widow of Sir John Lewknor (killed at Tewkesbury 1471). The property came to her from her father Richard, son of John Halsham, and, by a settlement of 1464, was limited to John Scott and his heirs, failing Joan Lewknor's issue. John Scott's relationship to the Halshams and Lewknors is not established. In 1519 Sir William attended Henry VIII at the Field of the Cloth of Gold, and figured among the grandees deputed with Wolsey to receive the Emperor Charles V on his landing at Dover on 28 May 1522. Scot's Hall he rebuilt in a style of such splendour as to make it long the rival of the greatest of the houses of Kent. He died on 24 Aug. 1524, and was buried in the chancel of Brabourne church. By his wife Sybil (d. 1527) he left issue. A younger son, Edward (d. 1535), married Alice, daughter of Thomas Fogge, serjeant porter of Calais, and founded the family of Scott of the Mote, Iden, Sussex.
- His heir, Sir John Scott (1484?–1533), was knighted by the young Prince Charles (afterwards the Emperor Charles V) for gallantry displayed in the campaign of 1511 in the Low Countries against the Duke of Guelders [see Poynings, Sir Edward]. He entered the retinue of George Neville, lord Abergavenny, constable of Dover Castle, and had charge of the transport service on the landing of Charles V at Dover on 28 May 1522. He was sheriff of Kent in 1527, and died 7 Oct. 1533. By marriage with Anne, daughter of Reginald Pympe (said to be de- scended from John Gower, the poet), his successors acquired the manor of Nettlestead, Kent. Their issue was, besides several daughters, three sons, William (d. 1536 s.p.), 'Reginald', and Richard, who was father of Reginald (d 1599) [q. v.], author of ‘The Discovery of Witchcraft.’
- Sir John Scott's second son, Sir Reginald Scott (1512–1554), sheriff of Kent in 1541 and surveyor of works at Sandgate, died on 15 Dec. 1554, and was buried at Brabourne, having married, first, Emeline, daughter of Sir William Kempe; and, secondly, Mary, daughter of Sir Brian Tuke [q. v.] He had issue six sons and four daughters.
- Sir Reginald Scott's eldest son by his first wife, Sir Thomas Scott (1535–1594), was soon prominent in public affairs in Kent. He was knighted .....
- [Scott's Memorials of the Family of Scott of Scot's Hall (which is at many points inaccurate); Weever's Funeral Mon. 1631, p. 269; Douglas's Peerage of Scotland, ‘Athol;’ Hasted's Kent, ed. 1790, iii. 292; Foss's Lives of the Judges; Dugdale's Chron. Ser. pp. 42, 43; Abbrev. Rot. Orig. ii. 99, 179; Paston Letters, ed. Gairdner; Metcalfe's Book of Knights; Cal. Rot. Pat. p. 134; Lyon's Dover Castle, ii. 244, 245; Letters and Papers, Henry VIII; Rymer's Fœdera, 1st edit. xi. 590–1, 599, 737–59, 778, xiv. 407–8; The French Chronicle of London (Camden Soc.), p. 87; Rutland Papers (Camden Soc.), pp. 72, 73; Chronicle of Calais (Camden Soc.), pp. 8, 15; Three Fifteenth-Century Chronicles (Camden Soc.), p. 157; Hist. MSS. Comm. 9th Rep. App. p. 138; Brown's Genesis of United States, esp. pp. 996–7; Cal. State Papers, Dom. 1599–1616; and information from C. R. Beazley, esq. Valuable notes have been supplied by Edmund Ward Oliver, esq.] J. M. R.
- From: http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Scott,_William_(d.1350)_(DNB00)
- DICTIONARY OF NATIONAL BIOGRAPHY(SCOFFIN-SHEARES) (1897)
- SCOTT or SCOT, REGINALD or REYNOLD (1538 ?-1599), writer against the belief in witches, was son of Richard Scot, second son of Sir John Scot (d. 1633) of Scots Hall in Smeeth, Kent [see under SCOTT, SIR WILLIAM d. 1350]. His mother was Mary, daughter of George Whetenall, sheriff of Kent in 1527. The father died before 1544, and his widow remarried Fulk Onslow, clerk of the parliament ; dying on 8 Oct. 1582, she was buried in the church of Hatfield, Hertfordshire. Reginald or Reynold (as he signed his name in accordance with contemporary practice) was born about 1538. On 16 Dec. 1554 his uncle, Sir Reginald Scot, died and included him in the entail of his family estate in default of his own issue, but this disposition was without practical result, Next year, when about seventeen, he entered Hart Hall, Oxford, but left the university without a degree. His writings attest .....
- [Dr. Brinsley Nicholson's Introduction to his reprint of the Discoverie of Witchcraft (1886) ; Wood's Athenae Oxon. ed. Bliss, i. 679 ; Scott's Memorials of the Scot family of Scots Hall, 188-90; Retrospective Review, v. 87-136; information kindly given by Edmund Ward Oliver, esq.] S.L.
Sir Reginald Scott, Captain of Calais & Sangatte's Timeline
Scott's Hall, Smeeth, E. Ashford, Kent, England
Scot's Hall, Kent, England
Smeeth, Kent, England, United Kingdom
Layer Marney, Essex, England
Mary TUKE Compact Disc #40 Pin #625744 (AFN: HMVX-W1)
Scotts Hall, Brabourne, Kent, England
Scotts Hall, Brabourne, Kent, England
Smeeth, Kent, England
Scotts Hall, Brabourne, Kent, England
Rattlesden, Suffolk, England