Son of George Oswald of Dunnet and Margaret Murray
|Managed by:||Joseph Christopher Tilley|
Matching family tree profiles for Rev. James Oswald
About James Oswald
James Oswald, born 23rd July 1703, son of George O., min. of Dunnet ; licen. by Presb. of Caithness 9th March 1726; ord. to Dunnet 30th Aug. 1726; pres. by David Smyth of Methven 3rd Dec. 1748 ; trans, and adm. by a committee of Commission of Assembly 12th Dec. 1750, the Presb. having delayed to carry out the settlement, for which they were rebuked by the Assembly. O. was elected Moderator of Assembly 23rd May 1765; D.D. (Glasgow, 17th Dec. 1765); dem. 24th April 1783, and retired to Scotstoun, near Glasgow, owing to being unable from age to discharge his duties ; became one of the founders of the Glasgow Society of the Sons of the Clergy, to which he bequeathed £100, also a similar sum to the Society in Edinburgh, and £100 to the poor of the parish ; died 2nd Aug. 1793. He marr.
(1) 15th Jan. 1728, Elizabeth (died 20th Aug. 1746), daugh. of James Murray of Clairden,and had issue —
- Richard, born 2nd March 1731, died while a student at Glasgow, Sept. 1747;
- Margaret, born 11th Nov. 1732, died 22nd Feb. 1760;
- Barbara, born 26th Jan. 1734 (marr. 30th April 1760, William Laird, merchant, Port Glasgow) ;
- George of Scotstoun, tobacco merchant, Glasgow, born 30th July 1735, died 6th Oct. 1819;
- Alexander of Shieldhill, merchant, Glasgow, born 21st April 1738, died 1813;
- James, born 10th Jan. 1742;
- Janet, born 27th March 1744;
- Andrew, born 25th June 1745, died 18th Aug. 1748
(2) 27th Jan. 1749, Margaret (died 12th Dec. 1779), daugh. of Sir Patrick Dunbar of Northfield, Bart.
SOURCE: Fasti ecclesiae scoticanae: the succession of ministers in the Church of Scotland from the reformation, Vol. IV, page 223