About Peter Coffin
Reverend Peter Coffin was born on 9 Dec 1713, Exeter, Rockingham, New Hampshire and died Dec 1777 in Exeter, Rockingham, New Hampshire.
Parents: 3rd child of Elphalet (Eliphalet) Coffin (1690-1736) and Judith Coffin. (1686-1749) [fn1][fn4]
- in 1740 to Dorothy Gookin (1722-1749). She was the daughter of Rev. Nathaniel Gookin and Dorothy Cotton. [fn5]
- on 7 July 1759 to Elizabeth Taylor (1712-1793). She was the daughter of John Taylor (1674-1719) and Ann Winslow (1678-1773); and the widow of Nathaniel Green(e). [fn2][fn3]
5 children of Peter Coffin and Dorothy Gookin include
- Peter Coffin+ b. 1741
- Eliphalet Coffin+ b. 1743
- Dorothy Coffin b. 1745
- Judith Coffin b. 1747
- Nathaniel Coffin b. 1749
- Minister at East Kingston, NH, 1739-1772.
- "These were the descendants of the Newbury branch of Tristram Coffin's family."
- Macy, Silvanus Jenkins; Nathaniel W. (Nathaniel Wheeler) Coffin; and William S. (William Sumner) Appleton. Genealogy of the early generations of the Coffin family in New England. (Salt Lake City, Utah: Genealogical Society of Utah, 1977) 11.
- Marshfield, Mass. Vital Records, in Massachusetts Society of Mayflower Descendants Mayflower Descendant, 7:121
- Greene-Taylor Record, in Massachusetts Society of Mayflower Descendants Mayflower Descendant, 32:147.
- Rev. Peter Coffin, s/o Elphalet Coffin and Judith (Coffin) Noyes, b. Exter 9 Dec 1713, d. Exeter Dec 1777, m. (1) 20 Jan 1740 Dorothy Gookin, m. (2) 19 Jul 1749 [sic, should be 1759, though marked with a question mark] Elizabeth Green. (Macy, p. 11)
- Elizabeth the Daughter of John Taylor and Ann his wife was borne a[t] Jemico November the 8 : 1712. [per MD, p. 21:121, this entry probably made after they returned from Jamaica, i.e., aft. 1720.] (Mayflower 7:121)
- [From family record in Bible of Nathaniel Greene of Boston, Mass.] Nath'll Green was born in Boston May : 1709 Elizabeth Tayler was born in Jamaica Nov'r 8 : 1712 and they where Married at Boston by the Rev'd Joseph Sewell Pres'r June 27 : 1729 Nath'll Greene Died in Surrinam Jan'y 15. 1739 N S or Jan'y 4: 1738 O S aged 28 Yeres and 8 Months Eliz'a Green was Marrid to the Rev'd Peter Coffin of Kingston New Hamshire July : 7 : 1759 The Rev'd Peter Coffin died Dec'r 13: 1777 aged 64. Mrs Elizabeth Coffin died June 5 : 1793 aged 80 Years and 7 Months. (Mayflower, 32:147.)
- It appears that Judith Coffin was the daughter of James Coffin (b. 1659) and Florence Hooke, and married 3 times: 1. Nicholas Gilman 2. Parker Noyes 3. Eliphalet Coffin (5 children). (NHA, person page 523).
- [S83] NEHGR, Vol. 1 p. 328.
I would like to know where Rev. Peter Coffin, 1713-1777 fits into the Tristram Coffin lineage. He married Dorothy Gookin, 1722-1749, a descendant of Anne Marbury Hutchinson (1591-1643). Dorothy & Peter's son was Major Peter Coffin, 1741-1802. He married Lucretia Flagg, their son Peter, 1768-1840, married Anne Martin. Their daughter Lucretia Flagg Coffin m. Rev. Samuel Joseph May. I don't know where any of them lived. I have not been able to find Rev. Peter's place in the family tree.
Reverend Peter Coffin's Timeline
December 9, 1713
Exeter, Rockingham, New Hampshire, USA
January 20, 1740
Rockingham, New Hampshire