Richard Wright, Sr.
|Birthplace:||Surry, North Carolina|
|Death:||Died in Rowan, North Carolina|
|Place of Burial:||cemetery on the waters of the Uharee, now Davidson Co, NC|
Son of "North Carolina" Wright and wife of "North Carolina" Wright
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for Richard Wright, Sr.
About Richard Wright, Sr.
- Birth: 1730 - Surry, North Carolina
- Death: Sep 3 1784 - Rowan, North Carolina
- Wife: Ann unknown, She is seen as "Elizabeth Jane Morgan" without source attribution.
- Children: Amos Wright, Peter Wright, Richard Wright, Jr., Benjamin Wright, Philburd Wright, John Wright, William R. Wright, Evans C. Wright
DAR Ancestor #: A130972 Private, North Carolina Militia.
Richard Wright and Ann (some believe her to be Elizabeth Jane Morgan - daughter of James Morgan and Mary Davis of Baltimore, MD) married abt 1748/50, possibly in MD.
Their sons are in this order, and named in his will:
- Benjamin - 1752
- Peter - 1754
- Richard, Jr. - 4 July 1757
- John - 5 Dec 1759
- William R. - 25 Mar 1761
- Evans C - Jan 1762
- Amos - 2 Mar 1764
- Philbert - 29 Mar 1768
From Descendants of Richard Wright, Sr. of Rowan County, North Carolina by Herbert Arkin, Jr.
- * RESIDENCE: lived on 200 acres on Deep River in Randolph County
- * BIRTH: 1730, Surry County, North Carolina
- * DEATH: 3 Sep 1784, Rowan County, North Carolina
- * DEATH: Died 1793 or 1795 
- * BURIAL: (Unknown), by waters of the Uwarrie near Davidson/Randolph County line
- * BURIAL: Old cemetery 2 miles from Silver Valley crossroads (on Highway 64), and about 10 miles east of Lexington, North Carolina 
- * EVENT: Military service: Private North Carolina Militia
- * IMMIGRATION: "...Richard Wright came to America during the colonial epoch in the history of this country" 
- * IMMIGRATION: ancestors Welsh 
- * PROBATE: 8 Feb 1785, probate will by son Philburd 
"As such, I find it difficult to believe that this Richard Wright could have married Abigail Wigerly in 1757."
"At this time, the true parents of Richard, Sr. seem to be unknown, as does the actual place of his birth. There are some strong indications (BUT, at this time no physical proof - just strong circumstantial evidence) that his parents may have been Philbert Right and Esther Becraft of Maryland. Legal documents exist that put him in Maryland around 1753-54 time frame.
"Other things have recently come up about Richard Wright. Many claims have been cited that his parents were Daniel Wright and Eleanor Benton. Recently, DNA evidence has concluded that they were not. Neither are his parents Francis Wright and Ann Washington. Again, DNA eliminated them from being Richard's ancestors. Copies of both DNA results were posted in the Wright Digest, available through email.
So, just who Richard, Sr. belongs to, or to what family line, is still a mystery.
Find A Grave:
Birth: 1726, Prince George's County, Maryland, USA
Death: 1785, Rowan County, North Carolina, USA
Children Of Richard Wright:
2-1_____Benjamin Wright, Sr, b. 1752 in Frederick County, Maryland, d. Oct. 4, 1837 South of Trader's Point, near Indianapolis, Marion County, IN, m. 1st, Barbara Morgan; 2nd, Patsey
2-2_____Peter Wright, b. Jan. 1754 in Halifax County, VA, d. Oct. 182l in Harrison County, IN.
2-3_____Richard Wright, Jr, b. June 4, 1757 In southwestern part of VA, d. June 1833 in Davidson County, NC, m. 1st, Nancy (or Mary) Morgan; 2nd, Cary (or Cara, or Caroline) Kittrell.
2-4_____John Wright, b. Dec. 5, 1759 in Southwestern VA, d. Oct. 4, 1844 in Washington County, IN, Revolutionary Soldier. No information.
2-5_____William Wright, b. Mar. 25, 1761 possibly in NC, d. May - Sept. 1840 in Jackson County, IN, m. Martha Morgan.
2-6_____Evans C Wright, b. Jan. 1762, Prob. in Southwestern, VA, d. Feb. 10, 1846, in Mason, Missouri, m. Rebecca.
2-7_____Amos Wright, b. Mar 2 1764. in Orange County, NC, d. Oct, 14, 1846, in Washington County, IN, m. 1st, Elizabeth Low; 2nd, Margaret Davis.
2-8_____Philbert Wright, b. Mar. 29, 1768 in Rowan County, NC, d. July 31, 1855, in Washington County, IN, m. 1st, Mary (Molly) Sears: 2nd, Mrs. Elizabeth Devin Beck.
Brith places & dates and death places & dates are from: Shirley Gragg
Spouse: Nancy Wright (____ - 1795) Children: Benjamin Wright (1752 - 1837)* Peter Wright (1754 - 1821)* Richard Wright (1757 - 1833)* John Wright (1758 - 1844)* William Wright (1761 - 1840)* Evans C Wright (1762 - 1846)* Amos Wright (1764 - 1846)* Philbert Wright (1768 - 1855)*
- Calculated relationship
Inscription: Curde stone bearing on inscription.
Note: The burial, was by a river in Randolph or Davidson County, N.C. on land that he owned and he called "Deep River".
Maintained by: Jayne Wright-Allison Originally Created by: Snowgirl Record added: Mar 12, 2013 Find A Grave Memorial# 106608070
Richard Wright, Sr.'s Timeline
Surry, North Carolina
Maryland, United States
July 4, 1757
December 5, 1759
March 25, 1761
March 2, 1764
March 29, 1768
Rowan, North Carolina