Richard de Cornwall, of Thunnock
|Also Known As:||"Earl of Cornwall"|
|Birthplace:||Berkhamsted, Hertfordshire, England|
|Death:||Died in Berwick-upon-Tweed, Northumberland, England|
|Cause of death:||Slain by an arrow at the siege of Berwick|
|Place of Burial:||Hailes Abbey, Gloucestershire, England|
Son of Richard, 1st Earl of Cornwall and Jeanne de Valletort Warenne, (Mistress)
|Managed by:||Justin Swanström|
Matching family tree profiles for Richard de Cornwall, of Thunnock
About Richard de Cornwall, of Thunnock
Richard de Cornwall of Thunnock
As distinct from Richard Plantagenet of Cornwall who died young
Richard de Cornwall (-after 1280). Earl Richard had one illegitimate son by Mistress (1). The primary source which confirms his parentage has not yet been identified. He was granted the manor of Thunnock, Lincolnshire in 1280 by Edmund Earl of Cornwall. See Earls of Cornwall 1227-1300 at MedLands.
RICHARD de Cornwall, illegitimate son of RICHARD Earl of Cornwall & his mistress Jeanne de Valletort (-after 1280). The primary source which confirms his parentage has not yet been identified. He was granted the manor of Thunnock, Lincolnshire in 1280 by his half-brother Edmund Earl of Cornwall.
m JOAN St Owen, daughter of JOHN Lord St Owen & his wife ---.
Richard & his wife had three children:
1. GEOFFREY de Cornwall (-before Jun 1335). He was granted the manor of Ever, Buckinghamshire by his paternal uncle Edmund Earl of Cornwall. m (1309 or before) as her first husband, MARGARET de Mortimer, daughter and co-heiress of HUGH de Mortimer of Richard’s Castle, Herefordshire & his wife Matilda --- (14 Sep 1295-[Dec 1345]). She married secondly William de Evereys. Geoffrey & his wife had three children:
a) GEOFFREY de Cornwall . He granted the manor of Kingsnewton, Devonshire and lands in Northamptonshire to his nephew Geoffrey.
b) RICHARD de Cornwall . Baron of Burford. m ---. The name of Richard’s wife is not known. Richard & his wife had --- children:
c) JOHN de Cornwall . m ---. According to the Complete Peerage, the wife of John was "niece of the Duke of Brittany", although it is not certain which duke of Brittany is referred to. John & his wife had one child:
i) JOHN Cornwall (born at sea in St Michael's Mount Bay, Cornwall-Ampthill 10/11 Dec 1443, bur Ludgate, cemetery of the Black Friars). He fought in the French wars, at Agincourt in 1415 and at the siege of Rouen 1418. Created Baron of Fanhope, in Herefordshire, 17 Jul 1432, and Baron of Milbroke, in Bedfordshire, 30 Jan 1441/2. m firstly ([1396/20 Apr 1399]) as her second husband, PHILIPPA de Arundel, widow of RICHARD Sergeaux, daughter and co-heiress of EDMUND de Arundel & his wife Sibyl de Montagu (-13 Sep 1399). m secondly (before 12 Dec 1400) as her third husband, ELIZABETH of Lancaster, former wife firstly of JOHN Hastings Earl of Pembroke, widow secondly of JOHN Holand Duke of Exeter, daughter of JOHN of Gaunt Duke of Lancaster & his first wife Blanche of Lancaster (Burford, Shropshire before 21 Feb 1363-24 Nov 1425, bur Burford Church, Shropshire). John & his second wife had [two] children:
(a) CONSTANCE (after 1401-before 1429). m as his first wife, JOHN d'Arundel, son of JOHN Earl of Arundel & his wife Eleanor Berkeley (Lytchett Mautravers, Dorset 14 Feb 1408-Beauvais 12 Jun 1435, bur Beauvais, Grey Friars, transferred 15 Feb 1436 to Arundel). He was summoned to parliament 12 Jul 1429, whereby he is held to have become Lord Arundel. He was recognised as Earl of Arundel in Nov 1433.
(b) [JOHN Cornwall (1404-killed in battle Meaux 1421). He was killed at the siege of Meaux. [see illegitimate child below]
John had two illegitimate children by unknown mistresses:
(c) JOHN Cornwall (-killed in battle Meaux Dec 1421). He was killed at the siege of Meaux.
(d) THOMAS Cornwall .
2. EDMUND de Cornwall of Kinlet . m ELIZABETH de Brampton, daughter and co-heiress of BRIEN de Brampton of Brampton Brian, Herefordshire & his wife --- ([1306/07]-). A writ after the death of "Beatrice late the wife of Peter Corbet of Caus", dated "30 Aug 21 Edw III", names "Thomas Corbet…from whom issued Peter, Alice the elder daughter and Emma the younger", that "from Emma issued one Walter" who "had issue one Brian…and from him issued Margaret his firstborn and Elizabeth the younger", that "Margaret is espoused to Robert de Harleys and…Elizabeth to Edmund de Cornubia", adding that "Elizabeth wife of the aforesaid Edmund aged 42 years" was one of the heirs. Edmund & his wife had three children:
a) EDMUND de Cornwall of Kentwell, Suffolk . m ISABEL, daughter of ---. Edmund & his wife had one child:
i) JOHN de Cornwall .
b) BRIAN de Cornwall . m MATILDA, daughter of [JOHN Lestrange] Lord Strange of Blackmere & his wife [Ankaret Boteler of Wem, Shropshire]. Brian & his wife had [three or more] children:
i) JOHN de Cornwall of Kinlet (-1415). m --- Wastneys, daughter of JOHN Wastneys of Tixall, Staffordshire & his wife ---. John & his wife had three children:
(a) ELIZABETH . m ROGER Corbet of Morton Corbett, Shropshire, son of ---.
(b) MATILDA . m JOHN Wode, son of ---.
(c) ELIZABETH . m WILLIAM Lichfield, son of ---.
c) PETER de Cornwall (-10 Jul 1387). m --- Hanley, daughter of ROGER de Hanley & his wife ---. Peter & his wife had one child:
i) EDMUND de Cornwall . m ---. Edmund & his wife had one child:
(a) THOMAS Cornwall .
3. JOAN de Cornwall . m JOHN Howard, son of ---.
This Richard is not by second wife Sanchia. Plantagenet Ancestry, page 232; Weis; Ancestral Roots.
Plantagenet Ancestry Page 232 says his wife was Joan fitz Alan daughter of John fitz Alan of Clun and Oswestry, Shropshire and Maud le Boteler daughter of Thebaud le Boteler
- Sir Richard Cornwall, Steward of Knaresborough1,2,3,4,5
- M, #19550, b. circa 1255, d. 1296
- Father Sir Richard, Earl of Cornwall, King of the Romans, Comte de Poitou6,7 b. 5 Jan 1209, d. 2 Apr 1272
- Mother Joan de Vautort (Valletort)
- Sir Richard Cornwall, Steward of Knaresborough was born circa 1255 at of Asthall, Oxfordshire, England; He was illegitimate.8 He married Joan FitzAlan, daughter of Sir John FitzAlan, Chief Butler of England and Maud de Boteler, circa 1279 at of Cornwall, England; They had 3 sons (Sir Edmund; Sir Geoffrey; & Richard) and 1 daughter (Joan, wife of Sir John Howard).8,3,4,5 Sir Richard Cornwall, Steward of Knaresborough died in 1296 at Siege of Berwick, Berwick-upon-Tweed, Northumberland, England.8,3,4 His estate was probated on 17 April 1297.3,4
- Family Joan FitzAlan b. c 1267, d. a 10 Oct 1321
- Sir Edmund de Cornwall+4 b. c 1280, d. 22 Mar 1354
- Joan de Cornwall+9,3,10,4,11 b. c 1285, d. a 25 Sep 1342
- Sir Geoffrey de Cornwall+4 b. c 1285, d. c 1 Jun 1335
- 1.[S6033] Unknown author, The Royal Descents of 500 Immigrants, by Gary Boyd Roberts, p. 317; Burke's Peerage, 1938, p. 1857.
- 2.[S11588] Some Early English Pedigrees, by Vernon M. Norr, p. 50.
- 3.[S6] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry: 2nd Edition, Vol. I, p. 574-575.
- 4.[S4] Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry, Vol. II, p. 306-307.
- 5.[S4] Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry, Vol. II, p. 597.
- 6.[S6] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry: 2nd Edition, Vol. I, p. 566-567.
- 7.[S4] Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry, Vol. II, p. 298-299.
- 8.[S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 232.
- 9.[S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 232-233.
- 10.[S6] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry: 2nd Edition, Vol. II, p. 265.
- 11.[S4] Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry, Vol. III, p. 328.
- From: http://our-royal-titled-noble-and-commoner-ancestors.com/p651.htm#i19550
- Richard de Cornwall1
- M, #104582, d. 1296
- Last Edited=1 May 2011
- Richard de Cornwall was the son of Richard, 1st Earl of Cornwall and Jeanne de Valletort.1 He died in 1296, killed in action.1
- In 1283 he was granted by his half-brother 2nd Earl of Cornwall, the Manor of Thunnock, Lincolnshire.1 He fought in the Siege of Berwick in 1296.1
- Children of Richard de Cornwall
- 1.Sir Geoffrey de Cornwall+2 d. b Jun 1335
- 2.Sir Edmund Cornwall1
- 1.[S37] Charles Mosley, editor, Burke's Peerage, Baronetage & Knightage, 107th edition, 3 volumes (Wilmington, Delaware, U.S.A.: Burke's Peerage (Genealogical Books) Ltd, 2003), volume 2, page 1670. Hereinafter cited as Burke's Peerage and Baronetage, 107th edition.
- 2.[S37] Charles Mosley, Burke's Peerage and Baronetage, 107th edition.
- From: http://www.thepeerage.com/p10459.htm#i104582
- Richard of Cornwall (Sir)
- Died: AFT 1280
- Father: Richard PLANTAGENET (1º E. Cornwall)
- Mother: Jeanne De VALLETORT
- Married: Joan ?
- 1. Joan De CORNWALL
- From: http://www.tudorplace.com.ar/PLANTAGENET.htm#Richard of Cornwall (Sir)1
Birth: 1252 Berkhamsted Hertfordshire, England Death: Mar. 30, 1296 Northumberland, England
Richard was the son of Richard de Cornwall and his second wife Sanchia of Provence. He was granted in 1283 by his brother Edmund of Cornwall, 2nd Earl of Cornwall, the Manor of Thunnock. Richard married Joan Saint Owen in 1279 in Cornwall, Cornwall County, England. Richard died during the Seige of Berwick, Northumberland County, England in 1296
Parents: Richard of Cornwall (1209 - 1272) Sanchia of Provence (1225 - 1261) Spouse: Joan Saint Owen De Cornwall (1260 - 1300)* Children: Joan Cornwall (1285 - 1342)* Geoffrey De Cornwall (1288 - 1335)* Siblings: John de Cornwall (1232 - 1233)** Isabella de Cornwall (1233 - 1234)** Henry de Almain (1235 - 1271)** Nicholas de Cornwall (1240 - 1240)** Richard De Cornwall (1252 - 1296)
- Calculated relationship
Burial: Hailes Abbey Hailes Tewkesbury Borough Gloucestershire, England
Created by: Kat Record added: Dec 29, 2011 Find A Grave Memorial# 82678764
Richard de Cornwall, of Thunnock's Timeline
Wallingford, Berkshire, England, United Kingdom
Berkhamsted, Hertfordshire, England
Burford, Shropshire, England
Asthall Leigh, Oxfordshire, England
Thunnock, Lancashire, England
Berwick-upon-Tweed, Northumberland, England
Hailes Abbey, Gloucestershire, England