Matching family tree profiles for Richard de Sandbach, Knight
About Richard de Sandbach, Knight
• Background Information. 1436
Early in the thirteenth century, there was a family living in Sandbach who bore the local name Sondbach or Sandbach. They were found holding lands here as lords of the manor, and occupying a good position in the county. Their name occur as witnesses to most of the iportnt deeds relating to this district, but there isn't much known about their family and history. The earliest member of the family was Richard de Sandbach, who, in 1224, set up a claim to the advowson of Sandbach church. He was High Sheriff of Cheshire in 123o, and again in 1233.
Richard de Sonbach was succeeded by his son or randson, Roger de Sandbach, who occurs in 1244. In 1253, he claimed the advowson of the church but in 1246, he acknowledged it belonging to the Abbey of Dieulacres, near Leck, in the county of Stafford. Roger was succeeded by his son, Sir Richard de Sandbach, Knt., who in 1280 confirmed his father's acknowledgment to the said Abbey. By a deed without date, William lord of Brereton, granted to him the half of the vill of Sproston in Middlewich parish, to be held to him and his heirs for ever, as the sixth part of a kight's fee, by the rent of three pair of spurs, or 3d. per annum. To this deed Sir William de Venables, Sir Richard de Holt, Knts., William de Venables and John de Sandbach, and other witnesses. Richard's name appears in records in 1287, 1295 abd 1305, but died in 1307, in which year it was returned on an Inquision post mortem that he had died seised of the manor of Sandbach, and that Thomas de Sandbach, his nephew was his next heir.
~The History of the Ancient Parish of Sandbach, p. 2
Sir William Brereton, Kt., son and heir of Ralph, married a daughter of Sir Richard de Sandbach, in fulfillment of a contract made with William de Venables.
- The History of the Princes, the Lords Marcher, and the Ancient ..., Volume 3 By Jacob Youde William Lloyd
Richard de Sandbach, Knight's Timeline
Sandbach, Cheshire, England