|Death:||Died in Richmond, Virginia, United States|
|Cause of death:||Sudden heart attack|
|Place of Burial:||Petersburg, Petersburg City, Virginia, United States|
Son of Major John Kennon Bolling Jr. and Elizabeth Bland Bolling
|Occupation:||Member of the House of Burgesses; Poet|
|Managed by:||Heather Billig|
Matching family tree profiles for Robert Bolling of Chellowe
About Robert Bolling of Chellowe
Robert Bolling was born on August 17, 1738, at Varina in Henrico County, the son of John Bolling and Elizabeth Blair Bolling and a great-great-grandson of Pocahontas and John Rolfe. He was a poet, planter and politician from the English colony of Virginia. In 1751 his father sent him to the Free Grammar School of Queen Elizabeth in Wakefield, England, which a number of other Virginia boys attended. Bolling excelled in languages. On his way back to Virginia he stopped off in London and on December 31, 1755, was admitted to the Middle Temple for legal studies. Bolling returned to Virginia the next year, arriving at Yorktown on April 16, 1756. For a year and a half he studied law under Benjamin Waller in Williamsburg.
After his father died in 1757, Bolling lived at his father's Chesterfield County plantation, Cobbs, until the middle of 1760, when he built a house called Chellow, or Chellowe, at his plantation in the portion of southern Albemarle County that became Buckingham County in 1761. From January 12 until September 16, 1760, Bolling courted Anne Miller, a distant cousin. His courtship journal, "A Circumstantial Account," and the poems he wrote provide a unique view of courtship among the eighteenth-century Virginia gentry. The romance ended when Miller sailed to Scotland with her father; she later married Sir Peyton Skipwith.
On June 5, 1763, Bolling married Mary Burton, of Northampton County. She died on May 2, 1764, two days after the birth of their daughter. Almost fourteen months later, on May 31, 1765, Bolling posted a marriage bond in Amherst County and married Susanna Watson on that day or early in June. They had two sons and two daughters.
- August 17, 1738 - Robert Bolling is born in Henrico County. He is a great-great-grandson of Pocahontas and John Rolfe.
- 1751 - Robert Bolling's father, John Bolling, sends him to the Free Grammar School of Queen Elizabeth in Wakefield, England, which a number of other Virginia boys attend. Bolling excels in languages.
- December 31, 1755 - Robert Bolling is admitted to the Middle Temple in London, England, for legal studies.
- April 16, 1756 - After studying the law in London, England, Robert Bolling returns to Virginia, arriving at Yorktown. He continues study of the law for a year and a half under Benjamin Waller in Williamsburg.
- 1757 - Robert Bolling's father, John Bolling, dies. Bolling lives at his father's Chesterfield County plantation, Cobbs, until the middle of 1760, when he builds his own home in southern Albemarle County.
- January 12–September 16, 1760 - Robert Bolling courts Anne Miller, a distant cousin. He keeps a courtship journal, "A Circumstantial Account," which provides a unique view of eighteenth-century Virginia gentry. The romance ends when Miller sails for Scotland with her father.
- 1761–1765 - Robert Bolling is elected to and attends the assembly of the House of Burgesses.
- 1761–1775 - Robert Bolling serves on the Buckingham County Court. By 1774 he is the second-ranking member.
- 1762 - A member of the House of Burgesses, Robert Bolling is appointed to the prestigious Committee on Propositions and Grievances.
- June 5, 1763 - Robert Bolling marries Mary Burton, of Northampton County.
- May 2, 1764 - Mary Burton, wife of Robert Bolling, dies two days after the birth of their daughter.
- 1765 - Against his wishes, Robert Bolling is appointed sheriff of Buckingham County and is a colonel of the Buckingham militia by 1773.
- April 1765 - Robert Bolling hears George Whitefield preach at Bristol Parish in Blandford and satirizes his revivalistic style.
- May 29, 1765 - Having already left the House of Burgesses, assuming the important assembly business was concluded, Robert Bolling misses Patrick Henry's presentation of the Virginia Resolves against the Stamp Act. That summer, Bolling either does not stand for reelection or is defeated.
- May 31, 1765 - Robert Bolling posts a marriage bond in Amherst County and marries Susanna Watson on this day or early in June. They will have two sons and two daughters.
- June 20, 1766 - In the Williamsburg Virginia Gazette, Robert Bolling precipitates a crisis by questioning whether three members of the General Court have shown partiality in bailing their friend John Chiswell, who has been arrested and charged with murder. One of the judges, William Byrd, sues Bolling for libel.
- October 16, 1766 - Following accusations of bias in a murder case by Robert Bolling, a General Court judge instructs a grand jury to "punish the Licentiousness of the Press," but the jury refuses to indict. Another judge, William Byrd, challenges Bolling to a duel, but both men are arrested and jailed first.
- 1771 - Robert Bolling's youngest brother, Archibald Bolling, sues him over the inheritance of their brother Edward Bolling, who died in 1770. Archibald's attorney is George Wythe, Robert's is Thomas Jefferson. Jefferson's argument remains one of the best examples of his abilities as a lawyer.
- February 25, 1773 - Robert Bolling publishes a dissertation on wine making in the Williamsburg Virginia Gazette. The House of Burgesses awarded him £50 sterling a year for five years "in Order to enable him to prosecute his scheme of cultivating Grapes, for the making of Wine."
- May 20, 1775 - Robert Bolling publishes in the Williamsburg Virginia Gazette a long elegy on the deaths of Virginia militiamen at the Battle of Point Pleasant the previous October during Dunmore's War (1773–1774).
- July 17, 1775 - The Virginia Convention opens in Richmond. Robert Bolling attends as a representative of Buckingham County.
- July 21, 1775 - Robert Bolling, in Richmond as a representative of Buckingham County to the Virginia Convention, dies suddenly, possibly of a heart attack.
Links to additional material:
- Bolling, Robert; A Memoir of a Portion of the Bolling Family in England and Virginia, [written by the subject of this profile], available as a free ebook from Google Books.
Birth: Aug. 28, 1738 Henrico County Virginia, USA Death: 1775 Buckingham County Virginia, USA
Born "Varina Farms" Plantation Died "Chellowe" Plantation LDs record email 12-21-2011
I suppose research is needed, but this source has Robert Bolling b. 8-28-1738, m. 6-5-1763 d. 1775.
Married Mary Burton, and Susan Watson.
It says he is the son of Elizabeth Bland Blair and John Bolling.
Gayle G. Abbott (#46954848)
Here are the notes I gathered and the Web address: Gayle's Notes: Also m. Elizabeth Lewis, http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ssidealexandersetal/GedPages/fam/fam00982.html
The Meriwether name also appears on this site as does Lucy Briggs in my line.
Husband: John BOLLING
Born: 20 JAN 1699/00 at: Cobbs, Henrico, VA, Amer Col Married: 1 AUG 1728 at: XXX, Chesterfield, VA, Amer Col Died: 6 SEP 1757 at: Cobbs, Henrico, VA, Amer Col Father:John BOLLING Mother:Mary KENNON Other Spouses: Elizabeth LEWIS
Wife: Elizabeth Bland BLAIR
Born: 20 JAN 1705/06 at: Died: 22 APR 1775 at: Father:Archibald BLAIR Mother:Sarah ARCHER Other Spouses:
Name: Metatoka ? BOLLING Born: 3 JUL 1729 at: Married: at: Died: at: Spouses:
Name: Archibald 1 BOLLING Born: 1 JUN 1730 at: Married: at: Died: 1737 at: Spouses:
Name: Elizabeth BOLLING Born: 5 APR 1731 at: Married: at: Died: at: Spouses:
Name: William ? BOLLING Born: 5 APR 1731 at: Married: at: Died: 1776 at: Spouses:
Name: Gerrard ? Jarrett BOLLING Born: 3 JUN 1732 at: Married: at: Died: 1780 at: XXX, XXX, NC, Amer Col Spouses:
Name: Benjamin ? BOLLING Born: 30 JUN 1734 at: Cobbs, Henrico, VA, Amer Col Married: at: Died: 20 JAN 1832 at: Flat Gap, Russell, VA, Amer Col Spouses: Patsy FELTS
Name: Dorothea ? BOLLING Born: 30 JUN 1734 at: Cobbs, Henrico, VA, Amer Col Married: at: Died: at: Spouses:
Name: Thomas BOLLING Born: 7 JUL 1735 at: Married: at: Died: 7 AUG 1804 at: Spouses: Elizabeth GAY
Name: John 1 BOLLING Born: ABT. 1736 at: Married: at: Died: at: Spouses:
Name: John 2 William BOLLING Born: 24 JUN 1737 at: Married: at: Died: 1800 at: Spouses: Mary JEFFERSON
Name: Robert 2 BOLLING Born: 28 AUG 1738 at: Married: 5 JUN 1763 at: Died: 1775 at: Williamsburg, NoCo, VA, Amer Col Spouses: Mary BURTON Susan WATSON
Name: Jane BOLLING Born: 13 JUL 1740 at: Married: at: Died: at: Spouses:
Name: Rodney ? BOLLING Born: 18 SEP 1742 at: Married: at: Died: at: Spouses:
Name: Mary 4 BOLLING Born: 16 JUL 1744 at: Married: at: Died: at: Spouses: Richard BLAND
Name: Rolfe ? BOLLING Born: 16 JUL 1744 at: Married: at: Died: at: Spouses:
Name: Edward BOLLING Born: 9 SEP 1746 at: Married: at: Died: at: Spouses:
Name: Sarah 5 BOLLING Born: 16 JUN 1748 at: Married: at: Died: at: Spouses: John TAZEWELL
Name: Archibald 2 BOLLING Born: 21 MAR 1749/50 at: Married: at: Died: at: Spouses: Sarah CAREY Jane RANDOLPH [FNU] [LNU] BYRD [FNU] [LNU] CLARK
Name: Anne 7 BOLLING Born: 7 FEB 1751/52 at: Married: 21 APR 1770 at: Died: at: Spouses: William Alexander DANDRIDGE
Name: Powhatan ? BOLLING Born: 16 APR 1754 at: Married: at: Died: at: Spouses:
Name: Martha ? BOLLING Born: 15 JUL 1733 at: Married: at: Died: at: Spouses: Thomas ELDRIDGE, JR.
Name: James ? BOLLING Born: at: Married: at: Died: at:
Parents: John Kennon Bolling (1700 - 1757) Mary Elizabeth Blair Bolling (1708 - 1775) Spouse: Mary Burton Bolling (____ - 1764) Children: Pocahontas Rebecca Bolling Cabell (1754 - 1803)* Siblings: Matoaka Bolling Sullivan (1729 - 1775)* Benjamin Bolling (1734 - 1832)* Thomas Bolling (1735 - 1804)* John William Bolling (1737 - 1800)* Robert Bolling (1738 - 1775) Anne Blair Bolling Dandridge (1752 - 1802)*
- Calculated relationship
Edit Virtual Cemetery info [?]
Maintained by: G. Abbott Originally Created by: P Fazzini Record added: Oct 28, 2011 Find A Grave Memorial# 79460658 http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=79460658
Birth: Jun. 12, 1730 Death: Feb. 24, 1775
Parents: Robert Bolling (1682 - 1747) Anne Mary Cocke Bolling (1686 - 1749) Spouse: Mary Marshall Tabb Bolling (1737 - 1814)* Children: Robert Bolling (1759 - 1839)* Elizabeth Blair Bolling West (1768 - ____)* Siblings: Mary Bolling Starke (1708 - ____)* Elizabeth Bolling Montfort (1709 - 1754)* Anne Bolling Hall (1713 - ____)* Lucy Bolling Randolph (1719 - ____)* Jane Bolling Miller (1722 - ____)* Mason Bolling (1724 - ____)* Martha Bolling Eppes (1726 - ____)* Susannah Bolling Bolling (1728 - ____)* Robert Bolling (1730 - 1775)
- Calculated relationship
Burial: Blandford Cemetery Petersburg Petersburg City Virginia, USA Plot: Ward A-OG, Bolling Mausoleum, Square 199/208
Edit Virtual Cemetery info [?]
Created by: Mandy G. Record added: Aug 04, 2008 Find A Grave Memorial# 28777185 http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=28777185 -------------------- http://encyclopediavirginia.org/Bolling_Robert_1738-1775#start_entry
Robert Bolling of Chellowe's Timeline
August 17, 1738
April 16, 1754
Petersburg, Dinwiddie County, Province of Virginia
June 5, 1763
April 30, 1764
Northampton County, Virginia, United States
Amherst, Virginia, USA
Varina, Henrico, Virginia, USA