About Robert Drake, Esq.
- Born: 1528, Wiscombe, Devonshire England
- Parents: John Drake (1500-1588), Amye Grenville (Abt 1513-1576)
- Marriage: to Elizabeth Prideaux in 1544 in Wiscombe, Devonshire England
- Died: 30 Mar 1600, Wiscombe Park, Southleigh, Devonshire England at age 72
- Buried: 30 Mar 1600, Wiscombe, Devonshire England
"Robert Drake lies here, one who feared God and remembered the poor, his wife Elizabeth, bore him seven thrifty sons and five comely daughters, died 30 March 1600." - memorial in the church at Southleigh
- John Drake, esq. of Ashe, who m. Anne, daughter of Roger Grenville, esq. of Stowe, in Cornwall, and left at his decease, 4th October, 1558,
- Bernard (Sir), his successor.
- 'ROBERT, of Wiscomb, in the parish of Southlegh, Devon, m. ELIZABETH, daughter of Humphrey PRIDEAUX, of Thewborough, by whom, with other issue, he had Robert and Henry, the former a colonel in the Netherlands, of great esteem with the Prince of Orange and the States General, and the latter a captain in the army, both killed in the prime of life in the defence of Ostend.
- Richard, ancestor of the Drakes of Shardeloes.
- from The Prominent Families of the United States of America By Arthur Meredyth Burke Pg.57
- JOHN DRAKE ( -1558), of Ashe, Co. Devon ; High Sheriff of Devon ; m., 1535, Amye, dau. of Roger Grenville, of Stowe, Cornwall, and, by her (who d. 18 Feb. 1577, and was bur. at Musbury), left issue: --
- 1. Bernard, of whom later.
- 2. 'ROBERT, of Wiscombe Park; m. ELIZABETH, dau. of Humphrey PRIDEAUX, of Theoborough, and had issue.
- 3. Richard, and equerry to Queen Elizabeth; m. Ursula, dau. of Sir William Stafford, Knt.; d. 1633, leaving issue.
- He d. 4 Oct. 1558.
- Burke's genealogical and heraldic history of the landed gentry, Volume 1 By John Burke
- John Drake, Esq. of Ashe, who s. his father in the representation of the family, m. (26 HENRY VIII.,) Amye, dau. of Roger Grenville, Esq. of Stow, co. Cornwall, and had issue,
- I. Bernard, his heir.
- II. 'ROBERT, of Wiscomb Park, in the parish of South Legh, m. ELIZABETH, dau. of Humphrey PRIDEAUX, Esq. of Theoborough, and had issue seven son and three daus.,
- 1. William, Esq. of Wiscombe, m. Philippa, dau. of Sir Robt. Denys, Knt. of Halicomb, and had issue.
- 2. Bernard.
- 3. John, m., and had issue.
- 4. Robert,}
- 5. Henry,} both in the army, and killed at the defene of Osten, in the prime of their age, s. p.
- 6. Nicholas, m. Katherine, dau. of William Tottle, and relict of __ Kingley.
- 7. Humphrey.
- 1. Gertrude, m. to Henry Honychurch, of Awn Gifford.
- 2. Amye, m. __ Poole, of Nottingham.
- 3. Ursula, unm.
- III. Richard, equerry to Queen Elizabeth, m. Ursula, dau. of Sir William Stafford, Knt., and from whom the Drakes of Shardeloes.
- Mr. Drake, who served the office of sheriff for the county of Devon, 4 Queen Elizabeth, d. 4 Oct. 1558, and was s. by his son,
- Genealogical and personal memoirs relating to the families of the ..., Volume 1 edited by William Richard Cutter, William Frederick Adams
- (VI) John Drake, of Mount Drake, Ashe and Exmouth, was son and heir, and high sheriff of Devon in the time of Queen Elizabeth. He married, in 1535, Amye, daughter of Roger Greenville, of Stow. He died October 4, 1558, and he and his wife are buried in the parish church at Musbury, where may be seen their tomb, bearing their effigies. She died February 18, 1577. Children: 1. Sir Barnard, knight; mentioned below. '2. ROBERT of Wiscomb; married ELIZABETH PRIDEAUX.' 3. Richard of Esher, born 1535, equerry to Queen Elizabeth; married Ursula Stafford; died July 11, 1603.
-------------------- Source Information:
Oxford University Alumni, 1500-1886 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2007. Original data: Foster, Joseph. Alumni Oxonienses: The Members of the University of Oxford, 1715-1886 and Alumni Oxonienses: The Members of the University of Oxford, 1500-1714. Oxford: Parker and Co., 1888-1892.
Description: This database contains a register of students, graduates, and officers who attended Oxford University between 1500 and 1886.
Robert Drake, of Wiscombe Park's Timeline
Southleigh, Devon, England
Esher, Surrey, England, United Kingdom
South Leigh, Devon, England
Wiscomb,South Leigh, Devon, England
Norwich, Norfolk, England
Wiscombe, Devonshire, England
Wiscomb, Devon, England
Ashe, Devonshire, England