Robert Lloyd Praeger
|Also Known As:||"Robin Praeger"|
|Birthplace:||Holywood, North Down, UK|
|Death:||Died in Belfast, UK|
|Place of Burial:||Deans Grange Cemetery, Dublin|
Son of William Emilius Praeger and Maria Ferrar Patterson
|Managed by:||Private User|
About Robert Lloyd Praeger
Robert Lloyd Praeger
Praeger was born in Holywood, Co Down, son of Willem Praeger, a Dutch linen-merchant from The Hague, and Marie Patterson, daughter of the naturalist Robert Patterson (1802-1972). He was educated at R.B.A.I. and the then Queen's College. Praeger joined the National Library of Ireland as assistant librarian in 1893. In a lifetime devoted to academic pursuits he co-founded end edited The Irish Naturalist, wrote papers on the raised beaches of north-east Ireland and books on the flora of Co Armagh and the west of Ireland, as well as organising the Lambay Survey (which studied the resources of Ireland) in 1905 and, from 1909 to 1922, the wider Clare Island Survey.
He won gold medals from the Belfast Naturalists' Field Club and the Royal Horticultural Society, and was the recipient of many honours, including the Presidency of the Royal Irish Academy and associate membership of the Linnean Society in London. In 1948 he became the first President of the National Trust for Ireland. He was the elder brother of the sculptress Rosamond Praeger (q.v.).
- Praeger, R.Ll. Irish Topographical Botany (ITB), Proceedings of the Royal Irish Academy, Vol. (23) 3rd. series, Vol. 7).
- Praeger, R.Ll. 1893. The Flora of County Armagh. Ir Nat.: II.
- Praeger, R.Ll. et al. 1902. The exploration of the caves of Kesh, Co. Sligo. Trans. R. Ir. Acad., 32B: 171 - 214.
- Praeger, R.Ll. 1902. Gleanings in Irish Topographical Botany. Proc. Roy. Irish Academy, 24B: 61- 94.
- Praeger, R.Ll. 1901 Irish Topographical Botany: Supplement 1901 - 1905. Proc. Roy. Irish Academy, 26B: 13 - 45.
- Praeger, R.Ll. 1929. Report on recent additions to the Irish fauna and flora (Phanerogramia). Proc. Roy. Irish Academy 39B: 57 - 78.
- Praeger, R.Ll. 1932. Some noteworthy plants found in or reported from Ireland. Proc. Roy. Irish Academy. 41B: 95 - 24.
- Praeger, R.Ll. 1934a. The Botanist in Ireland. Dublin.
- Praeger, R.Ll. 1934b. A contribution to the flora of Ireland. Proc. Roy. Irish Academy. 42B: 55 - 86.
- Praeger, R.Ll. 1937 The Way That I Went, An Irishman in Ireland, Allen Figgis, Dublin 1980, ISBN O 900372 93
- Praeger, R.Ll. 1939. A further contribution to the flora of Ieland. Proc. Roy. Irish Academy. 45B: 231 - 254.
- Praeger, R.Ll. 1946 Additions to the knowledge of the Irish Flora, 1939- 1945. Proc. Roy. Irish Academy. 51B: 27 - 51.
- Praeger, R.Ll. 1951. Hybrids in the Irish flora: a tentative list. Proc. Roy. Irish Academy. 54B: 1 - 14.
- Praeger, R.Ll. 1949. Some Irish Naturalists, a Biographical Note-book. Dundalk.
Robert Lloyd Praeger's Timeline
Holywood, North Down, UK
May 5, 1953