Historical records matching Rodger Wilton Young
About Rodger Wilton Young
The President of the United States of America, in the name of Congress, takes pride in presenting the Medal of Honor (Posthumously) to Private Rodger W. Young (ASN: 20504613), United States Army, for conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action above and beyond the call of duty while serving with 148th Infantry Regiment, 37th Infantry Division, in action at New Georgia, Solomon Islands. On 31 July 1943, the infantry company of which Private Young was a member, was ordered to make a limited withdrawal from the battle line in order to adjust the battalion's position for the night. At this time, Private Young's platoon was engaged with the enemy in a dense jungle where observation was very limited. The platoon suddenly was pinned down by intense fire from a Japanese machinegun concealed on higher ground only 75 yards away. The initial burst wounded Private Young. As the platoon started to obey the order to withdraw, Private Young called out that he could see the enemy emplacement, whereupon he started creeping toward it. Another burst from the machinegun wounded him the second time. Despite the wounds, he continued his heroic advance, attracting enemy fire and answering with rifle fire. When he was close enough to his objective, he began throwing hand grenades, and while doing so was hit again and killed. Private Young's bold action in closing with this Japanese pillbox and thus diverting its fire, permitted his platoon to disengage itself, without loss, and was responsible for several enemy casualties.
General Orders: War Department, General Orders No. 3 (January 6, 1944)
Action Date: 31-Jul-43
Regiment: 148th Infantry Regiment
Division: 37th Infantry Division
Rodger Wilton Young's Timeline
April 28, 1918
Tiffin, Ohio, USA
July 31, 1943
Los Angeles, Los Angeles County, California, United States
In 1946, Rodger Young Village was opened in the northeast corner of Griffith Park in Los Angeles. Containing 750 hastily erected Quonset Huts, the Village provided urgently needed housing for 1,500 families of GIs returning from World War Two. A furnished unit cost just $35 per month to rent and applications were received from 13,000 would-be tenants. The Village was a model of integration as families of all ethnicities and beliefs harmoniously lived as neighbors.
The Village was demolished between 1952 and 1954. On its site now stands the Los Angeles Zoo and Botanical Gardens and the Ferraro Soccer Field.
Clyde, Sandusky, Ohio, USA