|Birthplace:||Long Bluff, Cumberland, England|
|Death:||Died in South Kingstown, Washington, Rhode Island, USA|
|Place of Burial:||South Kingstown, Washington , Rhode Island, United States|
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for Rowland Robinson
About Rowland Robinson
"Recollections of Olden Times; Rowland Robinson of Narragansett and His Unfortunate Daughter: With Genealoies of the Robinson, Hazard, and" by Thomas Robinson Hazard and Willis Pope Hazard
Rowland Robinson, the primitive of our family in this country, was born in 1654, at or near a place called Long Bluff, in Cumberland, England. He came to this country in 1675, married Mary, the daughter or John and Mary Allen, in 1676, who were from Barnstable, England. Her mother's name before marriage was Bacon, who was born also in Barnstable. Rowland Robinson died at his residence, situated near the pond or cove of Pettaquamscutt river, in 1716, aged 62 years. His wife was born in 1656, and died in 1706, aged 50 years. They were both buried in the Narragansett Friends - called Quakers - burial ground, Kingston, now South Kingston - , about two miles south of Tower Hill village. Their graves are in the north-east corner of the burial ground. Mr. Robinson purchased lands of the Narragansetts soon after he came into their country; here he settled and improved the land until his death. He also purchased largely in the Pettaquamscutt and Point Judith lands. On these lands he built several houses and lived in one of them for some years. In the records of the town of Westerly for 1709, is recorded a deed of three thousand acres of the Wood River lands, purchased by Rowland Robinson. These lands he sold in farms containing from one hundred and fifty to three hundred acres each. Portions of his Pettaquamscutt and Point Judith estates have descended uninterruptedly from father to children until the present time, 1870. Rowland Robinson's children were as follows:
1. John, born in 1677; married Mary Hazard in 1703; died in 1711, aged 34 years. His wife died in 1722, aged 46 years. He left four daughters, all of whom were brought up in Gov. William Robinson's family. One of them married a Hazard, and was the mother of one of the Stephen Hazards. Another married a Babcock.
2. Joseph, born in 1679; died in infancy
3. Elizabeth, born in 1680; married William Brown in 1698. She died in 1745, aged 64 years. Mr. Brown died in 1749, aged 73 years. They left children, Thomas Brown and others.
4. Margaret, born in 1683; married Thomas Mumford in 1703. She died in 1707, aged 23 years. Mr. Mumford died in 1749, aged 66 years. They left children, James among others.
5. Sarah, born in 1685; married James Barton in 1712. She died in 1760, aged 76 years. Mr. Barton died in 1743, aged 70 years. They left children Rowland, Rufus, and others.
6. Rowland, born in 1688; diedin 1693, aged 5 years.
7. Mercy, born in 1690; married Col. John Potter in 1714. She died in 1762, aged 72 years. Colonel Potter died in 1743, aged 50 years. They left children.
8. William, born in 1693; married Martha Potter in 1717. She died in 1725, aged 33 years. He married his second wife, Mrs. Abigail G. Hazard - widow of Caleb Hazard and daughter of William Gardiner - in 1727 or 1728. William Robinson died in 1751, aged 58 years. His second wife died in 1773, aged 76 years.
9. Mary, born in 1705; married Thomas C. Hazard in 1727. She died in 1756, aged 51 years. Mr. Hazard died in 1750, aged 47 years. They left children.
10. Rowland, born in 1706; died in infancy
11. Sarah, born in 1707; married Charles Babcock in 1725. She died in 1744, aged 37 years. Mr. Babcock died in 1755, aged 55 years. They left children.
12. Ruth, born in 1709; married Robert Underwood in 1728. She died in 1758, aged 49 years. Mr. Underwood died in 1763, aged 58 years. They left children.
Birth: 1654 in Long Bluff, Cumberland, England
Death: 1716, Kingston, Rhode Island
Married: 1676 in Newport, Rhode Island
Wife: Mary Allen b: 4 FEB 1652/53 in Kingstown, Washington County, Rhode Island
- Rowland Robinson
- Joseph Robinson
- Elizabeth Robinson
- Mary Robinson
- Mercy Robinson
- Sarah Robinson b: 1676 in Warwick, Kent County, Rhode Island
- John Robinson b: 1680 in North Kingstown, Washington County, Rhode Island
- William Robinson b: 26 JAN 1692/93 in South Kingstown, Washington County, Rhode Island
Rowland Robinson, born 1654 in Long Bluff, Cumberland, England; married Mary Allen in 1676 in Newport, Rhode Island, having 12 children, including Mercy and William. Died in Kingston, Rhode Island in 1716. He was a veteran of the Colonial War.
From History of Washington and Kent Counties, Rhode Island by J.R. Cole, W.W. Preston, 1889
Rowland Robinson, the first, ran away from his parents and escaped on board a ship from England to the colonies, and bound himself to a carpenter. By good behavior he soon got advanced in business, and bought from the Indians large tracts of land on which he built partly with his own hands the homestead in Point Judith. He married a rich farmer's daughter, had many children, and from his eldest son, William, the Robinson family are descended. Rowland Robinson was born in 1654 at or near a place called Long Bluff, in Cumberland, England. He came to this country in 1675, and in 1676 married Mary, the daughter of John and Mary Allen, who were from Barnstable, England. Rowland Robinson died at his residence, situated near the pond or cove of Pettaquamscutt river in 1716, aged 62 years. He and his wife were both buried in the Narragansett Friends' burial ground, South Kingstown, about two miles south of Tower Hill village.
Quaker Lot, Route 1, South Kingstown, Washington County, Rhode Island,
Also known as: Friends burying ground, and Rhode Island Hist. Cemetery South Kingstown #95
Interred in Friends burying ground Towerhill, South Kingstown & removed in 1845 to:
Riverside Cemetery, South Kingstown, Washington County, Rhode Island, Plot: I-152
Rowland Robinson's Timeline
Long Bluff, Cumberland, England
Kingston, Washington, Rhode Island, USA
Narragansett, Washington, RI
Kingstown, Rhode Island, United States
January 26, 1692
South Kingstown, Washington , Rhode Island
North Kingston, Newport, Rhode Island, United States