About Charles Cobbe, Archbishop of Dublin
Charles Cobbe (Swarraton, 1686–1765) was Archbishop of Dublin from 1743 to 1765, and as such was Primate of Ireland.
He was the second son of Thomas Cobbe, Receiver General for County Southampton, and Veriana (née Chaloner) Cobbe of Swarraton, Winchester in Hampshire, England.
Charles Cobbe's maternal grandfather James Chaloner had briefly been Governor of the Isle of Man in 1658-1660, before committing suicide by poison at the approach of Lord Fairfax's soldiers. In some sources Charles father Thomas Cobbe is also given the title Governor of the Isle of Man. Charles's older brother was Colonel Richard Chaloner Cobbe.
In 1730, Charles married Dorothea Levinge, widow of Sir John Rawdon Bt, of Moira, County Down. Dorothea had two sons by Sir John: John, later Earl of Moira; and Arthur Rawdon. Dorothea bore two more sons by Charles Cobbe: Charles (1731–1750); and Thomas (1733–1814).
Charles was founder of the prominent Cobbe family in Ireland, and built the ancestral home Newbridge Estate outside Dublin between 1747 and 1752.
He died at St. Sepulchre's, Dublin, on 14 April 1765, and was buried at Dunabate.
Cobbe arrived in Ireland in August 1717 as chaplain to his cousin Charles Paulet, 2nd Duke of Bolton, Lord Lieutenant of Ireland. By January the following year he was appointed Dean of Ardagh. In 1720, he was appointed to the Bishopric of Killala. By 1726 he was translated to the See of Dromore, and in 1731 he was promoted to the Bishopric of Kildare and the Deanery of Christ Church. He held this position until 10 March 1743 when he was enthroned as Archbishop of Dublin, bringing him to fourth in precedence in the government of Ireland.