Ruth Wood (Lee)
|Also Known As:||"Ruth Mousall"|
|Birthplace:||of, Warwickshire, England|
|Death:||Died in Charlestown, Suffolk, Massachusetts|
|Place of Burial:||Charlestown, Suffolk , Massachusetts, United States|
|Managed by:||Private User|
About Ruth Wood
- Birth: Circa 1602 - Norwich, Norfolk, England
- Death: Aug 29 1642 - Charlestown, Suffolk, Massachusetts
- Parents: unknown
- Husband: Edward Wood
Children of Edward1 and Ruth (Lee) Wood :
- Elizabeth2, bp. Nuneaton 22 Oct. 1620, d. Charlestown 1 Nov. 1688; m. by 1642 Solomon Phipps, b. c1619, d. Charlestown 25 July 1671: 8 Phipps ch.
- Ann, bp. Nuneaton 6 Apr. 1623, bur. there 15 Mar. 1625-6.
- Obadiah, bp. Nuneaton 2 Oct. 1625, d. Ipswich MA in Nov. 1694; m. 1st c1646 Margaret Sparke, who d. Ipswich 5 July 1667, sister of John and Samuel Spark: 10 ch.; m. 2nd c1674 Hazelelponi (Willix) Gee, b. c1636, d. Ipswich 27 Nov. 1714, dau. of Balthasar and Hannah Willix and widow of John Gee (see HARRIS Family): 4 ch. Baker ("bisket maker"), soldier in King Philip's War.
- Josiah, b. prob. at Nuneaton c1629, d. Charlestown 24 Sept. 1691; m. there 28 Oct. 1657 Lydia Bacon, b. prob. in Ireland c1638, d. Charlestown 25 Nov. 1712, dau. of Michael and Mary Bacon: 6 ch. Soldier in King Philip's War.
- Thomas, b. c1633.
- Ruth, b. c1636, d. Malden MA 18 Jan. 1696-7; m. there 14 Apr. 1658 Phineas Upham, b. Weymouth MA c1635, d. Boston in Oct. 1676, son of John and Elizabeth (Slade) Upham: 7 Upham ch. He d. of wounds received 19 Dec. 1675. Ruth had been raised in the home of Ralph Mousall.
- Tabitha, bp. Charlestown 30 May 1641, d. there 29 Aug. 1642.
Reprinted with permission from an unpublished Chute compilation by Perley Leighton. Sources are listed.
©Copyright G. Robert Anderson, 1997.
Edward Wood, son of Lewis and Margaret (Holmes) Wood, was born at Nuneaton, Warwickshire, baptized 29 Oct. 1598, and died at Charlestown MA 27 Nov.(9 mo.) 1642; married at Nuneaton 2 Feb. 1619-20 Ruth Lee, who died at Charlestown 29 Aug. 1642.
He brought his family to Charlestown, and was a baker there in 1639. He was granted land "on the Mistick side" in 1640 and 1642. On 13 May 1640 he was made a freeman. He died intestate, and his estate's inventory was filed 13 May 1643 (Suffolk County Probate 2:13). Records showing the names and disposition of their children are lacking.
("Thomas Bellows Wyman, Genealogies and Estates of Charlestown..., calls her Ruth Mousall. Since Ruth Mousall Wood was living 13 April 1657 when her father, Ralph Mousall made his will, it is obvious that she married a different Wood." NEHGS register Vol 123 page 230).
Recent publications have suggested her maiden name was 'Lee'".
"Recent information (Great Migration Begins, pp.1311-2) states that the wife of Edward Wood was not Ruth Mousall.... "daughter" Ruth Wood mentioned in Ralph Mousall's will was a ward taken in by the Mousall family by agreement with the Woods."
Many have believed Ruth's maiden name was Mousall. However, I've received info from Kevin Avery which states:
"Recent information (Great Migration Begins, pp.1311-2) states that the wife of Edward Wood was not Ruth Mousall.... "daughter" Ruth Wood mentioned in Ralph Mousall's will was a ward taken in by the Mousall family by agreement with the Woods. Recent publications have suggested her maiden name was 'Lee'".
Ruth Wood and Mary Gove were wards of the Mousall family, taken in by agreement with members of the Wood and Gove families.45, Vol. 9, pgs. 98, 13
Ruth Wood's Timeline
October 22, 1620
Nuneaton, Warwickshire , England
October 2, 1625
Nuneaton, Warwickshire, England
Norwich, Norfolk, , England