About SIR HUGH de DE CAILLY (Cailly)
27th Great-Grandfather to HRH Charles
25th Great-Grandfather to Lady Diana
24th Great-Grandfather to PM Winston Churchill
Descendant of Charlemagne; 12 steps
Beckhall Manor Which was owned by Ailid in the Confessor's time, and by Ralf Bainard in the Conqueror's, under whom it was held by Solidarius, and had a carucate of land in demean, which shews that it was an exact half of the town, the other manor being of the same extent and value. In 1104, Juga Bainard (his widow I suppose) had it; and in 1106, Jeffry Bainard, her son and heir, who was a great benefactor to St. Mary's abbey at York; he was succeeded by Will. Bainard, who taking part with Elias Earl of Main, Phillip de Braose, William Malet, and other conspirators, against King Henry I. lost his barony, the chief seat of which was called Bainard's castle, situate below St. Paul's, near the Thames: upon this forfeiture it was given by the King to Robert, a younger son to Richard Fitz-Gilbert, progenitor to the ancient Earls of Clare, as this Robert was to the noble family of the Fitz-Walters, of whom it was always held of Bainard castle at half a fee; Falk Baynard held it of Robert Fitz-Walter; and in 1228, Robert de Cokefield held it of Walter Fitz-Robert, as did Richard de Cokefeud, his son, whose son and heir, John, was a minor in the wardship of Simon de Kokefeud in 1249. About 1272, Robert de Beckhall first had that half fee, which was formerly Robert Cockfield's, and another quarter of a fee joined to it, held of the Lady Maud de Boyland, from whose manor he had purchased it, In 1315, he held the half fee of Fulk Bainard, he of Robert FitzWalter, and he of the King; and in 1386, it was held of Walter FitzWalter, Knt. and Phillipa his wife, as of their manor of Hemenhale. In 1345, the Nomina Villarum reckons John de Brandon, and John de Hereford, as lords here, but it was only on account of their manors of Hargham, &c. extending hither. In 1360, and 1399, Peter de Bekhall had it, and held the quarter of a fee of the Lady Felton. In 1409, Nov. 4, Sir Richard Carbonell, Knt. by will, ordered his manors of Wilby, Stodhagh, Witton, and Penesthorp, to be sold to pay his debts; in 1459, Alice. widow of Sir Andrew Ogard, Knt. of Bokenham castle, after of Sir Hugh Cokesey, Knt. died seized of a part of it, which always went with that castle, till Sir Edmund Knevet sold it. In 1495, Tho. Mownteney and Tho. Curson, Esqrs. were lords, it being held of the said Curson, as of his manor of Wilby Hall, by 4s. rent. In 1526, John Mounteney of Foxele, Gent. conveyed to John Green of Wilby, Gent. all his manors, lands, &c. in Wilby, reserving 8 marks a year to Alice Mounteney, his mother, for life. In 1532, Richard Bainard, Gent. Edm. Knevet, Knt. and John White, Esq. sold Bekhall manor to John Green, John Grey, Esq. John Crofts of West-Stow, Esq. Edm. Bacon of Troston, Esq. and John Brampton, Gent. his trustees; and so all the parts were joined again, by Green's purchase. In 1564, Tho. Green of Wilby, Gent. son of John Green, died; he married Cecilia, daughter of Tho. Guybon of Lyn, and Rose his wife, leaving his manor of Beckhall, in Wilby, Hargham, Eccles, Banham, Bokenham, Crostwick, and Ruston, to Francis, his son and heir, then three years old; it then contained 12 messuages, 220 acres of land, 220 acres of pasture, 4s. 8d. rent, &c. all which were held of Christopher Heydon, Knt. in right of Temperance, his wife, relict of Tho. Greye, as of his manor of Bainard's Hall in Bunwell; he died seized also of Hargham, &c. In 1571, Mathew Bacon, Gent. was lord, in right of Cecily his wife, relict of Tho. Green, as guardian to Francis Green, her son, who died without issue in 1580, leaving it divisible among his five sisters. Rose, married first to Butterworth, then to Paul Gooch of Hargham. Prudence, to John Launce of Halisworth. Thomasine, to Tho. Edgar of Glemham in Suffolk. The fourth, to John Prettiman, Knt. and The fifth, to Will. Stokes, Gent. of whom John Wilton of Topcroft, Gent. bought the several parts, and completed his title in 1622. John Wilton of Topcroft, Gent. purchased the advowson, and joined it to the manor; he left one daughter, Cecily, married to Sir John Brewse of Wenham in Suffolk, and Richard Wilton of Topcroft, Gent. his son and heir, who married Anne, daughter of Robert Buxton of Channons in Tibenham, Esq.; he conveyed Beckhall to Robert his son, reserving an annuity of 50l. a year to be paid in his house at Tunnegate Green in Topcroft, where he had a good estate: he died in 1637: Robert Wilton of Wilby, Esq. his son and heir, was born in 1599; he purchased Wilby Hall manor, and the hundred of Shropham, and by so doing, joined the leet to the manor, and made the estate complete: he had three wives; by Hannah, daughter of John Jay, Gent. he had only one daughter, Hannah, who married to Robert Buxton, Esq. Aug. 24, 1654, by whom he had Robert Buxton, born April 9,1659, and Elizabeth, born Dec. 16, 1661; by Susanna, his second wife, youngest daughter of Sir Anthony Drury of Besthorp, he had issue; and by Bridget, daughter of Sir John Mead, of Lofts in Essex, he had two daughters, and one son only, viz. Nicholas Wilton of Wilby, Esq. who married a Clinch; he sold the manors, hundred, and advowson, to Ralf Hare of Hargham, Esq. whose descendant, Hugh Hare, now  a minor, son of Thomas Hare of Hargham, Esq. deceased, is lord and patron. The advowson of the rectory, after the Dissolution, came to the Crown; and, in 1558, was held by Edward Lord North, and John Williams, and their heirs, in free soccage by fealty only, as of East Greenwich manor in Kent, and went afterwards as the institutions shew you, till it was sold to John Wilton. In 1504, William Hammond, senior, of Wilby, infeoffed a close called Nells in Wilby, in Robert Walden, rector there, Will. Mounteney, Gent. and others, to the use of the repairs of the church for ever; he had it of John Mounteney of Wilby, chaplain, and Robert Hamond, deceased; it abuts west on the street, and was given in 1480, by John Nell of Wilby. In 1637, Richard Wilton of Topcroft in Norfolk, gave a rood of ground, and built an alms-house thereon, over the door of which his arms still remain. The manor of Old Bokenham extended hither; in 1366, Hugh Bernak had a messuage, and 39 acres of land, &c. and 20s. rent in New Bokenham, Wilby, Attleburgh, and Elingham, held by the twentieth part of a fee, which at his death was to revert to Alice Bernak, and John, son of Will. Bernak. In 1367, Will. Le Latimer had lands here, in which he was allowed free-warren. Eccles manor extended hither, for in King Henry the Eighth's time, Robert Wyngfield held half a fee here of that King, and paid 18d. to the wardship of Norwich castle, it being part of the Bishop's manor of Eccles, which was part of his barony before the exchange. This rectory is valued thus in the and being sworn of the value of 48l. 14s. 2d. it is discharged both of first fruits and tenths. It hath a good rectory-house, and several acres of glebe; it is in Rockland deanery, and Norfolk archdeaconry. It paid 3l. 6s. 8d. every tenth, and is now assessed at 455l. to the land-tax. In 1603, there were 88 communicants, and now there are about 160 inhabitants [1737.] Here were two gilds kept in the gildhall, one dedicated to All-Saints, the other to St. Peter; to the brethren of each of these gilds. Robert Hammond gave 6s. 8d. and a new bell to the church. William D'Eschoies, (or Le-Scot,) gave this and Banham advowsons, and a part of the tithes of his demeans, to St. Mary's abbey near the walls at York, which was confirmed by Everard Bishop of Norwich, and Theobald Archbishop of Canterbury; part of this portion of tithes, with that at Banham, was settled by the abbey on their cell at Rumburgh in Suffolk, and in 1528, was granted with it to Cardinal Wolsey, towards building his colleges in Ipswich and Oxford, by patent dated Dec. 30, 20th Henry VIII. Rectors 1310, 16 kal. Aug. John Le-Straunge, priest, instituted to Wilby, in the Bishop's palace at Eccles. York Abbot. 1330, 7 kal. May, John de Wilby, priest. Alan Abbot of York. Nic. de Wilby, parson of Naketon, was his executor. 1362, John de Hemeling, rector. (From a deed.) Sir Ralf de Clifton; he resigned in 1370, 12 March, to Robert de Twiwell, sub-deacon, in exchange for Dighton rectory. York diocese. 1404, 11 May, John Hawkeswell, shaveling. 1424, 13 Sept. Mich. Wolmer, on Hawkeswell's resignation. 1426, 3 Aug. Tho. Corky, priest, Wolmer being deprived. 1452, 21 Oct. Rich. Howson, on Corkby's death. 1460, Robert Marchall, chaplain, on Howson's resignation. 1460, 14 March, George Marchal, chaplain, on Robert's resignation. 1463, 24 Oct. Tho. Stanton, by lapse; John Basham, chaplain, farmed it of him at 13 marks a year, and serving the cure, and three gowns a year, fitting the said Thomas's degree. 1476,30 May, Henry Cossa, or Cossey, A.M. on Stanton's death. Thomas Abbot of York. He had Banham, and was master of Rushworth college. 1483, Richard Grey, on Cossey's death. 1502, 6 Oct. Robert Walden, on Grey's resignation. All these rectors were presented by the Abbots. 1530, 11 June, Miles Spencer, doctor of laws, on Walden's death. Wil. Cleydon, doctor of laws, by grant from the Abbot. He was after archdeacon of Sudbury, rector of Heveningham and Redenhall in Norfolk, vicar of Soham in Cambridgeshire, dean of ChappelField college, principal official, and vicar-general. 1532, 21 March, Sir John Milgate; the Abbot. He was the last prior of Bokenham. 1540, 7 Jan. Guy Kelsay, chaplain. John Folbury, &c. by grant of the turn from the late abbot. 1553, 16 May, Kelsay resigned, Tho. Peyrson, priest, succeeded. King Edward VI. 1555, 16 Sept. George Vicars, on Peyrson's resignation. Leonard Palmer, Gent. 1563, 8 Sept. Ottinwell Wetwode, priest, on Viker's death; lapse; buried at Eccles, where he was rector. 1586, 13 April, Peter Tytley, A.M. Edward Grigg, notary publick, by grant of the turn. 1586,6 Oct. Tho. Irland on Titley's resignation. Peter Gooche of Hargham, by grant of the turn from Ralf Mulley, who had it of the grant of John Chitham, Gent. true patron. 1587, 24 Febr. Tho. Bludde, on Irland's resignation. Tho. Gooch, doctor of physick, by grant of John Chetham, Gent. true patron. He had Hargham. 1587, 16 July, John Hatfield, on Bludd's resignation. James Wright, Gent. by grant of John Chetham, gent. senior, true patron. 1627, 10 Sept. Robert Boothe, A.M. on Hatfield's death. John Bagley of Old Bokenham, yeoman, true patron, (of whom the Wilton's purchased it.) 1644, John Stukely, on Boothe's death. 1657, Richard Waddelow, rector. 1679, 4 March, Jonathan Norton, A.M. Nicholas Wilton, Esq. 1686, 19 Aug. Tho. Baron, on Norton's death. Ditto. 1686, 11 March, John Last, A.M. on Baron's death. Nicholas Wilton. Last was also curate of Old-Bokenham. 1720, 26 Oct. Nicholas Neech, on Last's death. Anne Hare, widow; he held it with Shropham, and resigned it for Snitterton, and The Rev. Mr. John Hare, LL.B. the present  rector succeeded; who was presented by Thomas Hare of Hargham, Esq. his eldest brother. The Church is dedicated to the honour of all the Saints; the chancel and south porch are tiled; there is a low square tower, and five bells. On stones in the chancel. Kedington impales Buxton, with two falchions for Kedington's crest. Henry Kedington, Esq. died March 21 Anno Dom: 1713, aged 40 years. Kedington, arg. on a bend sab. six falchions in saltire proper, impales Buxton. Margaret, Relict of Henry Kedington of Hockham in Norff: Esq; eldest daughter of Robert Buxton of Channons-Hall in Tybenham, Esq; died Oct: 21, 1711, aged 56 Years. Here lyeth the Body of that faithful Patriot, and true Lover of his Country, Rob. Wilton of Wylby, in the County of Norff. Esquire, Son of Richard Wilton of Topcroft in the same County, Gent. by Anne the Daughter of Robert Buxton of Tybenham, Esq; his first Wife was Hannah, Daughter of Robert Jay, Gent. by whom he had Issue Hannah, living at the time of his Death: His second Wife was Susan, one of the Daughters of Sir Anthony Drury of Besthorp, Knt. by whom he had 3 daughters, Bridgett, Ann, Elizabeth, living at the time of his death: His last Wife was Bridgett, one of the Daughters of Sir John Mead, Knt. of Lofts in the County of Essex, by whom he left 2 Daughters, Joanna and Dorothy, and only one so much beloved son Nicholas, he exchanged this Mortal, for an immortal Life, the 19 of Nov. 1657, in the 58 Yeare of his Age. Wilton's arms with three escutcheons joined to it, viz. Jay,gul. on a bend ingrailed sab. three cinquefoils arg. a crescent or for difference. Drury. Meade, sab. a chevron or, between three pelicans az. vulning themselves proper, a crescent. S. M. Dominæ Brigitæ, Roberti Wilton, Armigeri, conjugis suavissimæ, Johannis Mede, Equitis aurati Filiæ quicquid uspiam Amoris, Sanctimoniæ, Prudentiæ, Veritatis, Honoris, repertum erat, in Terris experta, neque beata satis, adhue inde cœlitum in album adscribi voluit, 15 Cal. Apr. An° Dni. 1652, Ætatis suæ 32o. Arms against the north wall are, Wilton impaling Mede, Drury, and Jay. Bell impaling Knevett, which was put up for Muriell, widow of Sir Robert Bell of Beaupre-Hall in Norff: Knt. Daughter of Sir Tho. Knyvet the Elder, of Ashwell-Thorp in Norff: Knt. who (they say) was buried here. Per fess embattled, three suns proper, a coat of pretence, girone of eight, on a chief three annulets. Crest, a hawk. Here lyeth the Body of Elizabeth Peirson, the second wife of Tho. Peirson of Middleton, in the County of Norfolk, Esq; She dyed at this Place the 87th of Oct. 1727. The Few Years She lived in Norfolk, She gained a great Esteem by her good Nature, and Humanity to all People, an Account of her Family, which was very Honourable, as she was descended, from several Bishops, as well as other Clergy of uneommon Credit, is to be seen in the Church of Midleton. The following inscriptions in the church, Hic jacet Corpus Johannis Hatfield, Clerici, qui obijt Svo die Sept. Anno Domini, 1627. Wilton impales Drury. D. N. Susannæ Roberti Wilton, Armigeri, Conjugis secundæ, Anthonij Drury Equitis aurati Filiæ, Tranquilli Cineres, cujus Pars purior, Turbine fatigata terrestri, ad Cœli Quietem advolavit, Calendis Augusti, A° Dni. 1643. Ætat. suæ 34. A broken inscription for Hannah, Daughter of Henry Jay of London, Clothier, Wife of Robert Wilton, who died the 16 of April, 1635, aged 31. Another inscription for Jay himself, who died the last of Jan. 1635. Anne, Sister to John Hatfield, Clerk, died the 29th of Jan. 1648. ===OLD-BUKENHAM=== Received its name from the number of bucks with which the woods here formerly abounded, Bucham, Bukham, and Bukenham, being plainly the village of bucks, and not of beech trees, as Mr. Camden imagined, there being none of them in this county, as Sir Henry Spelman, righly observes; and the additional title of Old was afterwards added, to distinguish it from New-Bukenham, which was taken out of it. Ralf Guader Earl of Norfolk owned the whole town (except the carucate which belonged to Bury abbey) in the Confessor's time, when there were 3 carucates in demean, and woods sufficient to maintain 182 swine, 21 socmen of his own, and 43 that were under the protection of other men, all which the Earl joined to his manor. In the Conqueror's time it was worth 6l. 13s. 4d. and two sextaries of honey; and when all was joined, it was risen to 32l. 13s. 4d. and 20s. as a present or gift; it was two miles long and as much broad, and paid 19d. geld or tax out of every 20s. raised on the hundred. This Earl fled the realm, and so forfeited all his estate to the Conqueror, who owned it at the survey, when it was one of his manors that he entrusted Earl Goderic with the management of. At this time there were only two parishes, viz. All-Saints and St. Andrew's, and a castle which stood just by the abbey. The land on which New-Bukenham was after built was that part of St. Andrew's parish which belonged to the Bishop of Thetford's manor of Eccles, and was Called Bishop's-Haugh, the tithes of which now are, and always were, paid to the rector of Eccles, the land belonging to that manor originally, and the Bishop granting them to the domestick chaplain of his palace at Eccles, to whom he generally gave that rectory. Albini. The Conqueror gave the castle and manor, and all that belonged to Earl Ralf, to William de Albany, Albini, Albigni, de Albenio, who came into England with him, together with Wymondham, Snetesham, and Kenningkall, to be held by the service of being butler to the Kings of England on the day of their coronation, for which reason he was always styled Pincerna Regis, or the King's Butler; he founded Wymondham abbey, where he was buried, before the high altar, by Maud his wife, daughter of Roger Bygot Earl of Norfolk, with whom he had 10 knights fees in Norfolk, of Earl Roger's gift; he was son of Roger de Albini, by Amy de Molbray his wife, and brother to that famous Nigell de Albini, whose posterity assumed the name of Mowbray, or Molbray, from that of his mother. William, his eldest son, succeeded him; he was called William with the strong hand, because among other valiant exploits, he slew a fierce lion; the occasion was thus, as Mr. Dugdale relates it: " It happened that the Queen of France, being then a widow, and a very beautiful woman, became much in love with a knight of that country, who was a comely person, and in the flower of his youth; and because she thought that no man excelled him in valour, she caused a tournament to be proclaimed throughout her dominions, promising to reward those who should exercise themselves therein, according to their respective merits; and concluding, that if the person whom she so well affected, should act his part better than others, in those military exercises, she might marry him without any dishonour to herself. Hereupon divers gallant men, from foreign parts, hasting to Paris, among others came this our William de Albini, bravely accoutred, and in the tournament excelled all others, overcoming many, and wounding one mortally with his launce; which being observed by the Queen, she became exceedingly enamoured of him, and forthwith invited him to a costly banquet, and afterwards bestowing certain jewels upon him, offered him marriage. But having plighted his troth to the Queen of England, then a widow, refused her: whereat she grew so discontented, that she consulted with her maids, how she might take away his life; and in pursuance of that design, enticed him into a garden, where there was a secret cave, and in it a fierce lion, into which she descended by divers steps, under colour of shewing him the beast. And when she told him of his fierceness, he answered, that it was a womanish and not manly quality, to be afraid thereof, but having him there, by the advantage of a folding door, thrust him in to the lion. Being therefore in this danger, he rolled his mantle about his arm, and putting his hand into the mouth of the beast, pulled out his tongue by the root; which done he followed the Queen to her palace, and gave it to one of her maids, to present to her. Returning therefore into England, with the fame of this glorious exploit, he was forthwith advanced to the Earldom of Arundell, and for his arms the lion given him; nor was it long after, that the Queen of England accepted him for her husband, whose name was Adeliza, or Alice, widow to King Henry I. and daughter to Godfrey, Duke of Lorrain, which Adeliza had the castle of Arundell, and county, in dowry from that King." And in the beginning of King Henry the Second's time, he not only obtained the castle and honour of Arundell to himself and his heirs, but also a confirmation of the Earldom of Sussex, granted to him by the third penny of the pleas of that county, which in ancient times was the usual way of investing such great men in the possession of any earldom, after those ceremonies of girding with the sword, and putting on the robes, were performed, which have ever, till of late, been thought essential to their creation. In the time of King Stephen he founded the abbey here, and built the present castle, as you may see in the accounts of them; and dying in 1176, was buried by his father at Wymondham. William de Albini, his eldest son, Earl of Arundell, became lord at his father's death, and paid 100l. for his relief, for his estate in Norfolk; he married Maud, daughter and heiress of James de Sancto Hillario, and dying at Waverley in 1176, was buried at Wymondham. William de Albini, or Albany, Earl of Arundell and Sussex, his son, succeeded; he married Mabell, daughter of Hugh Kiviliock Earl of Chester, by whom he had two sons and four daughters, William and Hugh, both Earls of Sussex; he died in 1199, and was buried at Wymondham. William de Albany, Earl of Arundell and Sussex, son of William aforesaid, and Mabell his wife, died in his return from Damieta in Palestine, anno 1221, and was brought over into England by Thomas, a monk of St. Albans, and buried by his ancestors at Wymondham abbey, leaving his brother, Hugh de Albany Earl of Arundel and Sussex, his heir, whom Hugh de Burgh, Chief Justice of England, had the custody of, which he assigned to William Earl Warren, who in his right served King Henry III. at his nuptials, with the royal cup, the said Hugh being then a youth, and not knighted; he married Isabel, daughter of the said Earl Warren, who, after his death, founded the nunnery of Marham, at her own charge, out of her dowry, and died in 1242, without issue, leaving his great inheritance to be divided among his four sisters, his heiresses, and was buried with his ancestors in the abbey church of St. Mary at Wymondham, Isabel his widow having the manors of Wimondham and Kenninghall assigned for her maintenance, till her dowry was set out, which was done soon after, and the manors of Snetesham, Wimondham, Plesset, and Kenninghall, with the hundred of Giltcross in Norfolk, besides many others in other connties, were allotted to her. Robert de Tateshale, and Mabell his wife, who was the eldest, had the castle and manors of Bukenham, Wimondham, &c. for their capital seat. John, son of John Fitz-Alan, and Isabel his wife, who was fourth sister, had Arundel castle, manor, &c. for their capital seat. Roger de Somery, who married Nicholea, the third sister had Barwe in Leicestershire, &c. for their chief seat. Roger ee Montealt, who married Cecily, the second sister, had the castle of Rising, with the manors of Kenninghall, Snetesham, &c. for their principal seat; together with the hundred of Smithdon, and the fourth part of the tollbooth at Lynn, which was now divided into four parts, so that a fourth part attended each of the inheritances. And thus the castle and manor came to Sir Robert de Tateshale, who made it his principal seat. He was descended from Eudo, who with Pinco, his sworn brother in War, (though no other way related,) came into England with Duke William, and merited so well from him in that service, that in recompense thereof he gave them the lordship of Tateshale, with Thorp hamlet, and Kirkeby town in Lincolnshire, to be equally shared between them; Eudo to hold his part of the King, and Pinco his of St. Cuthbert of Durham. Eudo settled at Tateshale, and assumed its name for his sirname. His arms were, chequy or and gul. a chief erm.; he was succeeded by Hugh his son, who founded Kirstead abbey in Lincolnhire. In 1139, Robert, his son, inherited, who left Philip, whose son, Sir Robert de Tateshale, was so great a benefactor to Bukenham priory, that the canons of that house altered their common seal, and put in his arms along with their founder's. Among other things, he gave the church of St. Martin in New-Bukenham, and half an acre of land in Gunneby, called Munkwell, with the advowson of the church of Gunneby, for a yearly pittance; he left Sir Robert de Tateshale, who married Mabell aforesaid,his son and heir, who granted to the canons here liberty of faldage for 200 sheep in Atleburgh, with free pasturage for them there, and 53 acres arable land in Bukenham, besides other gifts. In Lovell's Book in the Exchequer, he is found to hold this castle and manor by the service of the botelry, and the manors of Babingle, Tibenham, Topcroft, and Denton, in capite, as parcel of his barony. After Mabell's death he married a daughter of John De-Grey, and died in 1248, leaving Robert, his son and heir, then 26 years old, who married Joan, daughter of Ralf Fitz-Ranulf, lord of Midlcham in Yorkshire. He stood firm to Henry III. in his barons wars, and was besieged in his castle of Bukenham by Sir Henry Hastyngs. He died in 1272, seized of Bukenham manor and castle of Tibenham, Topcroft, Denton, &c. with all the knights fees held of the lordship or honour, together with the advowsons of Reydon, Stanhow, Congham St. Mary, and two parts of Atleburgh, of Wimondham abbey, the fourth part of Lynn tolbooth, &c. leaving Sir Robert de Tateshale, bis son and heir, then 24 years old, who, in 1285, had view of frankpledge, free-warren, and gallows, and a Saturday market, assize of bread and ale, and a fair yearly on St. Martin's Day, and another market every Thursday in Attleburgh, belonging to his manor of Bukenham castle, and Plassing Hall in Besthorp. In an old roll about this time, it appears that there were many manors held by knight's service of this castle, and among the free tenants by scutage were these, Sir William de Montecaniso, Giles de Wachesham, Knt. Sir Harvy de Stanhaw, Sir William Cumyn, Sir Richard de Quatefeld, the lady Lora de Bayliol, the heirs of Simon de Keninghall, Ralf de Morley, Richard de Snittertone, Sir Robert de Sheltone, John de Berdewelle. Mathew Cachevache, Robert de Bukenham, &c. were tenants in soccage. William and John de Hargham, Richard, son of Will. de Snitterton, Tho. de Ascheby, held lands in Hargham by soccage, and so did Richard de Lirling, and Sir Will. de Lirling's heirs; John de Methellond in Lirling, Roger de Caston in Ellingham, Will. and Richard de Mortimer, Peter de Thelvetham, William, son of Will. de Fossato, in Attleburgh, &c. In 1283, he was lord of the castle and manor of Bukenham, the manor of Lathes in Old-Bukenham, the burgage, and the court belonging to the weekly market in New Bukenham, the manors of Wimondham, Topcroft, Denton, Tibenham, Freebridge hundred, &c. and died in 1297, leaving his estate to Sir Robert, his son and heir, then 24 years old, married to Eve, daughter of Robert de Tibetot, who, after his decease, married to Sir John de Cove, and held Shropham hundred, Topcroft and Denton manors, in dower, till 1349. He died in 1302, leaving Robert de Tateshale,his son and heir, then 15 years old, who died a minor, without issue, in 1310, leaving his inheritance divisible among his three aunts, or their heirs: Emma, or Amy, married Sir Osbert de Caily, Knt. Joan, Sir Robert de Dryby, Knt. Isabel, Sir John de Orreby, Knt. Among whom the estate was divided, as follows. Thomas de Caily, son of Sir Osbert, had livery of his mother's inheritance in 1306, when he had Bukenham castle, and the advow son of the priory there, the fourth part of the manor, and the half parts of other manors thereto belonging, two parts of Wimondham, the fourth part of all the lands in Atleburgh, and the third part of those in Tibenham, the third part of two parts of the fourth part of the profits of Lynn tolbootb called the Green Garth, and 11l. 2s. yearly rent in Norfolk; all of which, together with Cranwich, EastBradenham, Hildeburgworth or Hilburgh, the advowson of Hilburgh church, and of St. Margaret's free chapel there, he died seized in 3316, leaving Adam, son of Sir Roger de Clifton, by Margaret, his only sister, his cousin and heir, then nine years old. Joan de Driby had the castle of Tatshale, &c. and the 8th part of Bukenham manor, the third part of Wimondham, 150 acres of land, several parcels of meadow and pasture, 7s. ob. rent, and the rent of two sparrow or sparhawks, in Old and New-Bukenham, Atleburgh, and Elingham, and a third part of the hundred of Shropham, which was then divided, and each had an equal share attending their inheritances, all which this Joan, then widow of Robert de Driby, settled on Gilbert de Bernak, parson of Tateshale, and John de Gislingham, parson of Wolfreton, her trustees, who were to bold it for her use during her life, remainder to William Bernak and Alice his wife, who died about 1340, seized of the third parts of Wimondham and Bukenham, manors, and the third part of Plassing Hall or Plesset's, in Atleburgh and Besthorp. In 1340, the aforesaid Hugh Bernak, clerk, died, when he held Old-Bukenham part, for life, by feoffment from Alice Bernak, and John, son of William Bernak, remainder to John and his heirs, who died in 1345, seized of the whole manors of Hetherset, Denton, and Plassing Hall, and the third part of Wymondham, and Bukenham, and this year Joan his widow was allowed her dower out of all the said manors; but soon after it was settled wholly on particular manors. John Bernak, his eldest son, died a minor, leaving his inheritance to William, his brother and heir, who died in 1359, leaving Maud, his sister, then wife of Sir Ralf de Cromwell, lord of Tateshale, his sole heir. John de Orreby, and Isabel his wife, had among others, the manor of Tibenham in Norfolk, (except the third part of the park, which Tho. de Caily held, in part of his portion,) and the eighth part of Bukenham manor, in recompense of the eighth part of the parks of Bukenham, which was assigned to the said Thomas, and the eighth part of the lands in Attleburgh, viz. 19 messuages, &c. in Attleburgh, Bukenham, Besthorp, Elyngham, aud Tybenham. Phillip de Orreby was their son and heir, whose son, John de Orreby, died in 1352, leaving Margaret his widow, who died in 1368, and Joan de Orreby, his sole daughter and heiress, who married first to Sir Henry Percy, who died in 1367, and after to Sir Constantine Clifton; she had one daughter, Mary Piercy, her sole heiress, who was married to Sir John Roos of Hamlak, Knt. without issue, but died before her mother. In 1360, Sir Ralf Cromwell, Knt. in right of Maud Bernak, his wife, became lord of the manors of Hethersete, Plassinghall in Besthorp, Denton, &c. all which (except Hetherset were held of the King in capite, as parcel of the barony of Taleshall; he had his parts of Bukenham, Wymundham, and Shropham hundred, for which he did homage to the King, and had livery thereof, to him and his heirs by Maud. In 1394, a writ was directed to John Knevet, escheator of Norfolk, to divide the lands, and deliver seizin to Constantine de Clifton, and Maud, wife of Sir Ralf Cromwell, Knt. cousins and heirs of Mary, widow of John Lord Roos of Hamlak, daughter and heir of Joan, daughter and heir of John de Orreby. In 1395, he had the fourth part of Lathes manor, two parts of Gryshaugh in Wymondham, and the parts of the manors of Old and New-Bukenham, Tybenham, &c. as they were divided by their ancestors. This Ralf died in 1398, Maud his widow died in 1418, leaving Ralf (after Lord Cromwell) her grandson and heir, he being son of Ralf, who died in his father's lifetime; he was after Lord Treasurer, but having no issue by Margaret, daughter of John, and sister and coheir of William Lord Deincourt, his wife, at his death in 1455, his three aunts became his heirs, viz. Elizabeth, married to Sir John Clifton; Hawise, to Thomas Lord Bardolph; and Maud; to John Fitz-Williams; and they inherited his whole estate, viz. Plasset, or Plassinghall manor, which is a member of Bukenham manor, Bukenham, the fourth part of Lyn tolbooth, the advowsons of Attleburgh, Congham, St. Agnes, and St Mary, Stanhow, Denton, and Tasboro, the manors of Herdesete, Wymundham, Gonvyle's in Wymundham, Besthorp, Eccles, Tibenham, Denton, Babingle, &c. He was buried in his collegiate church of Tateshale. And now we must return to the Cliftons, who all along held the castle, and the best part of the manor, from the year 1316, when Adam, son of Sir Roger de Clifton, by Margaret, only sister to Sir Tho. de Caily, became his heir; he married Eleanor, daughter of Sir Robert Mortimer of Attleburgh, Knt. who died in 1366, and had two sons; Constantine, his eldest, died before him, but left issue by Katherine, daughter of Wm De-la-pole, his wife; Sir John Clifton, Knt. Sir Adam de Clifton, Knt. his second son, who had Denvcre, and Frebridge hundred, &c. to him and his heirs male, died anno 1411, leaving Sir Robert Clifton, Knt. his son and heir, who was sheriff of Norfolk in 1412,and died in 1442, and was buried in Bukenham priory, as was Alice, his widow, in 1455; Thomas Clifton, Esq. their son and heir, died in 1452; Joan, his widow, was alive in 1462; they left Sir Robert Clifton, Knt. their son and heir, who died without issue male in 1490, and his estate went to Sir William Knevet, Knt. son of Sir John, and grandson of Sir John Knevet, who married Elizabeth, sister, and at length heiress, to Sir John Clifton, the last male of the elder branch, to which we must now return. Sir John Clifton, Knt. of Bukenham castle in 1373, had livery of all his lands, as heir to Sir Adam de Clifton, his grandfather; he was summoned to parliament from 1375 to 1388, when he died, on St. Lawrence's Day, at Rhodes, seized of Bukenham castle and manors, Hilburghworth, West Bradenham, and Cranwyse, with the advowsons of Hilburgh and Cranwyse, and the manor of Babyngle, &c. leaving Constantine, his son and heir, then 16 years old. He married Elizabeth, one of the heirs of Ralf Lord Cromwell, by which match that part of Bukenham, &c. which she had for her share, united again; she outlived him, and married Sir Edward Bensted. Constantine, their son and heir, had livery of his inheritance in 1393, and was summoned to parliament in that and the next year, but never after; he married Katherine, daughter of Robert Lord Scales, by Margaret, daughter of Robert Howard of East-Winch, who outlived him, and held in dower, till 1432, fin which year she died,) the manor of Babyngle, two parts of Gryshaugh in Wymoudham, Bukenham, Lathes manor, the profits of the court at Attleburgh, the court of the market at New-Bukenham, and the part of Lyn tolbooth, all which at her death joined to the rest of the estate, in their son and heir, Sir John Clifton of Bukenham castle Knt. who died in 1447, seized of Bukenham castle, and the greater parts of the manors thereto belonging, of the hundred of Shropham, the manor of Briston, Grishagh, Topcroft, Denton, Babingle, Hilboro, Cranwich, West Bradenham, a third part of Becon's manor, &c. by his will, proved in 1447, Sept. 8, he ordered to be buried in the church of St. Mary at Wymondham priory, and gave to the high altar of the church of St Martin at New-Bukenham, 40s. and 10 marks to repair the church; to the gild of the Blessed Virgin in that church, 10 marks; to Guy, his gentleman, 100s.; to John Fader, 2s. a day for his life, out of Bukenham castle manor, to keep the park; to Joan his wife, his manor of Burston in fee simple, the castle of Bukenham, Lathes manor, Shropham hundred, and Tibenham manor, to her for life; and orders his executors to perform the will of Constantine Clifton, as to settling 10l. a year rent on Bukenham priory; he also gave 10l. annual rent to the Prior of Wymondham, out of his own lands, to find a monk for ever to sing for his and Joan his wife's soul. He gave Grishagh manor in Wymondham, the manors of Babingle and Wolferton in Norfolk, and Walderton manor in Sussex, and other lands and tenements of his own purchase, to be sold, &c. the manors of Hilboro, Cranewich, and West Bradenham, to be held by his executors twelve years, and then to go to his right heirs; Robert Clifton, his cousin, to have the manor of Topcroft cum Denton to him and his heirs, on condition he made a free estate to his executors in his manors of Hankers in Harleston, and Shelley, one of which was to be sold by his executors, and the other to go to his heirs, according to the change agreed on between them; John Briggs to have an annuity out of Linford manor, and the refusal of buying it; Joan his wife, John Heydon, John Brigge, &c. executors; his good lord the Marquis of Suffolk, Sir Andrew Ogard, Knt. and his cousin Thomas Tuddenham, supervisors; and by a codicil he declares, that he had sold to his beloved son, Sir Andrew Ogard, Knt. for 3000 marks, the castle, manors, and hundred of Shropham, two parts of Grishagh, &c. on condition to find a chaplain in the conventual church of St. James at Old-Bukenham, according to the will of Constantine Clifton, Esq. his father, for which he was to amortise lands to that value; he also gave 20s. towards the building of Wymondham new steeple. Joan his wife was daughter and coheir of Sir Edmund de Thorp, Knt. the younger, of Ashwell-Thorp, and widow of Sir Rob. Echingham; they had only one daughter, viz. Margaret Clifton, who married Sir Andrew Ogard of Bukenham castle, Knt.; she died issueless, before her father; Sir Andrew died in 1454, and the whole estate reverted to Elizabeth, aunt to the said Margaret, who married Sir John Knevet, Knt.; but yet, in 14.39, Alice, first widow of Sir Andrew Ogard, Knt. then of Sir Hugh Cokessey of Cokessey in Worcestershirc, held the castle and manors, and those of Lathes, New-Bukenham, Honyngham, Tybenham, and Wylby, two parts of Grisagh, Bromley, and Bokham in Surrey, to her death in 1460. John Fitz-Williams, lord of Elmly and Spotsburgh in Yorkshire, married Maud, one of the heiresses of Ralf Lord Cromwell, and in her right had a third part of the third part of the manor; they left Sir John Fitz-Williams their son and heir, who married Eleanor, daughter of Sir Henry Green of Drayton in Northamptonshire, whose son, Sir John Fitz-Williams of Elmley, married Margaret, daughter of Tho. Clavel the elder of Aldwark, whose son, Will. Fitz-Williams of Elmley, married Elizabeth, daughter of Tho. Chaworth, whose son, John Fitz-Williams, senior, married Elizabeth, daughter of Sir John Conyers, Knt. of Stockton in the county of Durham; John Fitz-Williams, Esq. their son, died in 1487, before his father, and left by Elizabeth, daughter of Richard Fitz-Williams, his wife, one son, William Fitz-Williams of Elmley, Esq. who married Margaret, daughter of Sir Rob. Broughton, and dying without issue in 1516, left his two aunts his heirs, Margaret married to Tho. Southill of Southill Hall in Yorkshire, who had one daughter, Elizabeth, married to Sir Henry Savile of Thornhill in Yorkshire; and Dorothy, to Sir Will. Cropley of Sportsburgh, Knt. by whom he had Phillip Cropley; but as the chief, if not all this part, was united to the other, by different purchases, it will be needless to trace their descendants any further, the whole being united in the Knevets. Sir John Knevet, Knt. of Bukenham castle, Norfolk, married Elizabeth, sister, and at length heiress, of Sir John Clifton, Knt. and, in 1461, held the castle and manors of Old and New-Bukenham, Lathes, two parts of Grishaugh in Wymondham, &c.; he was son of John de Knevet, Esq. by Joan, daughter and coheir of John Buttetort of Mendlesham in Suffolk, and grandson to Sir John Knevet, Knt. Lord Chancellor of England in 1371. He left Sir John Knevet of Bukenham castle, Knt. his son and heir, who married Alice, daughter and coheir of Will. Lynnes, by whom he had Sir William Knevet of Bukenham castle, Knt. who, in 1483, was attainted by the name of Sir Will. Knevet, Knt. of Bukenham, conjurer, together with the Earl of Richmond, John Earl of Oxford, &c. in the parliament summoned the 25th Jan. 1st Richard III. as being partakers with Henry Earl of Richmond, (afterwards Henry VII.) which cost him a good part of his estate, for he conveyed to that King his castle and manor of Bukenham, the manors of Old-Bukenham, Carleton, and Tibenham, which he had again, when that monster was taken off; and then also he was forced to convey to Sir James Tirretl, that King's great favourite, and then Constable of the Tower, his manors of Hilboro, and two parts of Grishaugh in Wyndham. In 1491, he was found to be cousin and heir to Sir Robert Clifton, Knt. being then 51 years old. He had three wives; first, Alice, daughter of John Grey, brother of Reginald Lord Grey of Ruthyn, and widow of Nicholas Gibson, sheriff of London; his second was Joan, daughter of Humphry Stafford Duke of Buckingham; she was living in Richard the Third's time, and was called Lady Beaumont; the third was Joan, daughter of Tho. Courtney, relict of Sir Roger Clifford, Knt. one of the sisters and coheirs of Tho. Courtney Earl of Devonshire, by whom he had no issue. By Alice his first wife he had Edmund Knevet, his son and heir, who married Eleanor, daughter of Sir William, and sister of Sir James Tirrell, of Gipping in Suffolk, Knt.; he was unfortunately drowned, but left several sons, of which Edmund Knevet, his second son, was serjeant-porter to King Henry VIII.; he married Jane, daughter and sole heiress of John Bourchier, the last Lord Berners, from whom descended the Ashwellthorp family. Sir Thomas Knevett of Bukenham castle, Knt. his eldest son, was Standard-bearer to King Henry VIII. of whom he got a grant of the priory at its dissolution, with its appurtenances in Old and NewBukenham, viz. St. Andrew's and All-Saint's churches, the Priory manor, &c. all which continued in the family till Sir Phillip Knevet sold them. He married Muriel, daughter of Tho. Howard Duke of Norfolk, relict of John Grey Viscount Lisle, by whom he left several children, Sir Henry Knevet, his third son, settled at Charlton in Wilts. Sir Edmund Knevet of Bukenham castle, his eldest son, married Joan, daughter of Sir John Shelton of Shelton in Norfolk, by whom he had Sir Tho. Knevet of Bukenham castle, who married Catherine, daughter of Stanley Earl of Darby, and died Sept. 22, 1569. By his will, dated Sept. 8, 1569, he ordered to be buried in New-Bukenham church, in the same tomb in which Katherine his late wife lies, and gave to every one of his yeoman-waiters 40s.; to each of his servants, 20s. and ordered them to be maintained half a year after his death, that they might provide for themselves; he gave 40s. to repair the church; his manors of Mendlesham in Suffolk, and Hilboro in Norfolk, to descend to his next heir, which is for the whole and full third part of all his manors, to the intent that the Queen's Majesty may thereof be satisfied for her wardships, &c.; but if they will not do, the rest must be out of his manor of Bukenham. He settled OldBokenham manors and castle, the burgage of New-Bukenham, Lathes, Tatersall's manor in Carleton, Tybenham manor, the little park, or Cromwell's Park in Wyndham, Bukenham Close manor, the parsonages of All-Saints and St. Andrew's, the priory with its appurtenances, &c. according to the statute of the 32d of Henry VIII. which allows a man to assign two-thirds of all his manors, for advancement of his children, on his executors, during the minority of his eldest son, to pay his debts, and raise 2000l. to buy manors with, to settle on Henry, his second son, in fee simple, with whom he ordered 20l. per annum should be paid to the master and fellows of Corpus Christi college in Cambridge, to bring him up till 18 years old, and then the executors are to pay him 40l. a year, till the manors are settled when he is of age. He gave the lease which he had of Hilburgh parsonage, of the grant of Richard Coggell, parson there, to his two brothers, Henry and Antony Knevet, Esqrs. with the two next turns of that benefice, and his ewe-course in Attleborough; to Oliver Mellynge his servant, the next turn of Mendlesham vicarage. Henry Knevet and Edmund his brother, Henry his son, and Tho. Knevet, his eldest son, Roger Wodehouse of Kimburle, Esq. Francis Thursbye of Congham, Esq. Francis Gawdye of Wellington, Esq. and Robert Rogers of Colton, Gent. executors; Thomas Duke of Norfolk, Edward Earl of Darby, Thomas Earl of Sussex, and Henry Lord Morley, supervisors. Henry Knevet, Esq. Gregory and Robert Buxton, Gents. &c. witnesses. He left Sir Thomas, his son, then 3 years 10 months and 2 weeks old, who married Catherine, daughter of Sir Tho. Lovell of East-Herling, who after married Edward Spring, and after that George Downe of Little Melton, Esq. by whom she had issue. He died Sept. 26,1594, leaving Sir Phillip Knevet of Bukenham castle, his son and heir, then 11 years, 4 months, and 22 days old; he was sheriff of Norfolk in 1650, created Baronet June 29, 1611, and for 18,508l. 10s. he sold to Hugh Audley and his heirs the castle and priory of Old-Bukenham, the manors of Old-Bukenham, viz. the castle manor, Lathes, alias Laches, the Priory, and the Close manors, the manor or burgage of New-Bukenham, Tatersall's, or Tibenham Hall, otherwise TibenhamKnevet's, otherwise Carleton-Rode, and the tithes of all the premises in Bukenham, by deed dated 25 June, 1649. Hugh Audley aforesaid was sheriff of Norfolk, and dying without issue left three sisters; Elizabeth, married first to Stephen Peacock, and after to John Jennings; Alice, to Sebastian Beaufoy of London, Gent.; Sarah, to Robert Harvey of London, Comptroller of the Custom-house, whose son, William Harvey of London and LowLayton, was baptized at Bow chapel, 25th Sept. 1599; he married Sarah, daughter of Will. Barret of London, by whom he had three sons, Robert, Hugh, and Benjamin, each of which inherited a third part; for in 1666, Oct. 6, the said Hugh settled the whole (except Tibenham manor, which was settled on Robert Harvey, &c.) on himself for life, remainder to William Harvey, his nephew, for life, remainder to Robert, Hugh, and Benjamin, sons of William, equally to be shared; Ambrose Holbech of Mallington in Warwickshire, second son of Ambrose Holbech of the same, married Sarah Harvey, and became possessed of that third part, which was her brother Benjamin's; and about 1693, partition was made between Ambrose his son, who had got Hugh's part also, and Robert Harvey of Low-Layton in Essex, who married Rebecca, daughter of Mr. Bowater of London, and at his death left his part to John Harvey, Esq. his son and heir, who married Elizabeth, daughter of Sir James Honblon of London, Knt. He built the seat at Old-Bukenham called St. Andrews, and settled there, and at his death left Robert Harvey, Esq. his only son, who is now  lord and owner of that part, and Ambrose Holbech, aforesaid, Esq. is now lord of the other two third parts. The Park is a very ancient one, for the founder of the monastery here, among other donations, allowed the monks the privilege of taking wood in his park in this town; and in 1242, the King sent his writ to the keepers of the lands of Hugh de Albany Earl of Arundell, that they should deliver to Robert de Tateshale two bucks of his gift, out of the park lately belonging to the said Hugh, in his town of Bukenham. It was after separated from the manor; and in 1626, one Long of Hingham, at the request or by the order of the Honourable Mary Lady Hunsdon, late wife of the Lord Hunsdon, conveyed all his right in it to Sir Tho. Holland of Kenninghall; but it was in various trustees hands, and incumbered, till the title was perfected by John Holland of Wortwell, Esq. from which time it hath passed in this family, and still remains in the heiresses of Sir William. In 1620, Sir Tho. Holland, Knt. purchased much of Henry Viscount Rochford. There were several other manors here, as Bukenham's manor, the Close manor, Lathes manor, the burgage of New-Bukenham, and the Priory manor.