Matching family tree profiles for Ens. Samuel Ashley
About Samuel Ashley, of Windham
Elizabeth Kingsbury (Joseph', Henry'), married at Lebanon, Aug. 19, 1717, Samuel Ashley, of Windham, afterwards Hampton; he was a man of substance, and evidently one of the leading men in the section of the town in which he lived. She died Aug. 21, 1751 (1750, Ashley Genealogy); he died Feb. 12, 1771, aged 82.
He was a son of Jonathan and Sarah (Wadsworth) Ashley, of Springfield, afterwards of Hartford ; bapt. in Hartford, Feb. 26, 1687/8. He settled first in Canterbury, it is said, and his first purchase in Windham was made in April, 1717, when he bought of John Fitch 200 acres in the northeast part of Windham, for which he paid ^180. This homestead farm has remained in possession of his descendants ever since (1864). His father left him by will, in 1705, fourscore acres of land in Plainfield. He was appointed Ensign of the North East Company in Windham, Oct. 8, 1730. One of the original members of the church in Hampton.
- 1 Elizabeth, born, perhaps, in Canterbury, before the parents settled in Windham; m. James Bemis.
- 2 Samuel, born in Windham, Nov. 27, 1720; m. Nov. 23, 1746, Ruth Cresey ; lived and died in Hampton; no ch.
- 3 Abner, born in Windham, May 10, 1722; m. March 5, 1745/6, Mary Cresey, of Hampton ; died Feb. 14, 1801 ; 9 ch.
- 4 Susannah, born in Windham, June 5, 1724; m. John Hovey.
- 5 Joseph, born in Windham, June 1, 1728; lived in Hampton until late in life when he removed to Pomfret. He married (1) Sarah Cresey, Nov. 5, 1751 ; she died Sept. 11, 1762; he m. (2) Zerviah Lyon, of Ashford, April 25, 1764 ; she died May 5, 1781; m. (3) Rachel Allen, of Pomfret, April IO, 1783, who survived him ; he died in Pomfret, 1787, leaving 8 ch.
- 6 Love, born in Windham, July 19, 1731; probably died young.
- 7 Jonathan, born in Windham, Aug. 4, 1737 ; died June 23, 1740.
"His [Samuel Ashley's] will, dated 29 Dec. 1766, mentions his '* eldest son Samuel has already had his share," but gives him, " my oldest gun," his son Abner, " one acre and five shillings," grandchildren, Elizabeth Bemis and Susan and Abigail Hovey, and his son Joseph, " all my real estate, lands, buildings, timber, fences, and all movable estate outdoor and indoor." [Wind. Prob. Rec, vol. 8, p. 203.]"
- The Genealogy of the Descendants of Henry Kingsbury, of Ipswich and Haverhill, Mass (Google eBook) Frederick John Kingsbury Hartford Press, 1905 - 732 pages. Page 208
- Francis Bacon Trowbridge. The Ashley genealogy : a history of the descendants of Robert Ashley of Springfield, Massachusetts online. (page 26 of 39)
Ens. Samuel Ashley's Timeline
February 26, 1687
Hartford, Hartford , Connecticut
August 19, 1717
Lebanon, New London, Connecticut
Canterbury, Windham County, Connecticut
June 1, 1728
February 12, 1771
Hampton, Windham, Connecticut