Samuel Maverick (c.1602 - 1670) MP

‹ Back to Maverick surname

Is your surname Maverick?

Research the Maverick family

Samuel Maverick's Geni Profile

Records for Samuel Maverick

407,104 Records

Share your family tree and photos with the people you know and love

  • Build your family tree online
  • Share photos and videos
  • Smart Matching™ technology
  • Free!

Share

Related Projects

Birthplace: Awliscombe, Devon, , England
Death: Died in New York, New York, New York
Managed by: Kira Rachele Jay
Last Updated:

About Samuel Maverick

Samuel Maverick (c. 1602 - c. 1670) was a 17th-century English colonist in what is now 'Massachusetts,' the United States. Arriving ahead of the famed Winthrop Fleet, Maverick became one of the earliest settlers, one of the largest landowners and one of the first slave-owners in Massachusetts. He signed his name Mavericke.

Married, as her 2nd husband, with AMIAS (Cole) THOMSON, widow of David Thomson.

From SAMUEL MAVERICK

In the years following the settling at Plymouth, several attempts were made to establish settlements on the shores of Massachusetts Bay for the purpose of fishing and trade. Grants had to be secured from the Council of New England.

Samuel Maverick had chose to settle on a little hill that faced the inner harbor at the confluence of two rivers, an ideal place to set up a trading post. The hill contained fertile ground, practicable for farming and had many fresh water springs. Maverick made his settlement in 1624 and built a fortified house, the first permanent house in Massachusetts (It is believed this house was located near the beginning of the pier on Admiral's Hill). In "A Brief Description of New England" written about 1660, Maverick says: "One house yet standing there which is the Antientist house in the Massachusetts Government, a house which the year 1625 I fortified with a Pillizado and flankers and gunnes both belowe and above in them which awed the Indians who at the time had a mind to cutt off the English."

There is not too much information known about Samuel Maverick and much of it is conjecture. He was born to the Reverend John Maverick, an Episcopalian minister, and Mary (Gye) Maverick in 1602. Samuel Maverick came to America in 1624 the same year he settled Winnisimmet. In 1628 Samuel Maverick married Amias the widow of David Thompson. Amias inherited all David Thompson's property holdings and influence. Through his marriage Maverick acquired these holdings, influencial position and Noddle's Island. Amias was older than Samuel and had one son John Thompson. This marriage brought three children, Nathaniel, Samuel and Mary. Maverick was granted property rights to all of modern day Chelsea except Prattville. In 1631, the first ferry in the state and possibly the country, was granted permission to run from the Maverick farm to Charlestown and Boston. Maverick sold all his Winnisimmet holdings, except his personal farm, to Richard Bellingham in March 1635 and moved to Noddle's Island.

From Samuel Maverick: The Real Founders of New England

Maverick was a trader in furs and a successful man of business.

He was a staunch churchman and loyal to the King. Charles II appointed him with others in 1664 to settle the affairs of New England and New Netherland. He had a house on the Broadway, New York, and died there between 1670 and 1676.

In the spring of 1627 Captain John Fells, master of a shallop who had come in Captain Johnston's larger ship with Irish settlers for Virginia, was received with his maidservant by Samuel Maverick at Winnesimmet and no doubt found congenial companionship. The settlement at Winnesimmet was in those days as to its standard in morals and drinking mid-way between Plymouth and Merrymount. Maverick himself was a cultivated and able gentleman, but of a convivial nature. The men who served him at his fortified trading post were of the type familiar to readers of Bret Harte's mining town stories. The Indians who camped near the white men were not slow to practice European vices. That Maverick was not expelled is due no doubt to his social position, his father's prominence as a clergyman, and perhaps in some measure to his genial nature.

If "Caribdis underneath the mould" of Morton's poem in the "New English Canaan", written for the May pole revels in 1627, represents David Thomson, and "Scilla sollitary on the ground" is Amias, his widow, then Thomson was dead before May, 1627. The new husband lacking "vertue masculine" is of course Samuel Maverick, said to have been as strong as Samson and as patient as Job. And she was, according to Morton, a difficult "Dallila"; but she was an heiress after Thomson's death, and suitors came by water from all about the Bay to pay their court to her. Mrs. Thomson was the daughter of William Cole of Plymouth, England. Perhaps her second marriage which prevented her return to England caused her father to threaten to deprive her of her property.

From Samuel Maverick - Letters

Samuel Maverick, born about 1602, came to New England as early as 1624, as appears by his letter to Sampson Bond, published in this collection. He is supposed by some to have come over the year before with Robert Gorges. He was found here by the Massachusetts Company in 1630; having built a small fort on Noddle's Island (now East Boston), which was furnished with four pieces of artillery. The name of Maverick is found among those who "desire to be made freemen," 19th October, 1631; and he was admitted the following year. He had a grant of land in Maine from the "President and Council of New England" in 1631. After the Restoration, he went to England, and was appointed one of the Royal Commissioners "for reducing the Dutch at the Manhados; visiting the Colonies in New England, hearing and determining all matters of complaint, and settling the peace and security of the country." His associates were Col. Nicolls, George Cartwright, Esq., and Sir Robert Carr. He arrived at Piscataqua, in company with the latter, July 20, 1664. Maverick resided, after the recall of the Commission, in New York; and died there before May, 1676.—Winthrop's N.E., i. 27; Hutchinton's Mass, i. 280; Sumner's Hist. of East Boston, passim; Savage's Geneal. Dict.—EDS

From Boston to Barbados, 1651. Folded letter written and addressed in Secretary's hand (a common form of writing in the 17th century), datelined "Boston Aprill 15th 1651", written by Samuel Maverick and addressed to his son, Nathaniel Maverick, at Barbados.

Samuel Maverick, came to America in 1624 and settled Winnisimet. In 1628 he married Amias, the widow of David Thompson, and inherited all of their land, which included Noddle's (Nottell's) Island -- the land has since been filled in and is the location of Logan Airport. By 1629 Maverick was firmly established on Noddle's Island (with a fortified mansion and artillery), a year before John Winthrop's fleet entered Massachusetts Bay and established Boston. In 1633 he received a formal grant from the Puritans to settle Noddle's Island in exchange for a yearly payment. A staunch Royalist, he also held patents for land in Maine. In 1635 he went to Virginia and remained there for about a year, where he took delivery of a 40-ton vessel made in Barbados. In 1640 he received a grant of 600 acres in Boston and 400 acres in Braintree. Maverick Square in Boston is named for him.


His son Nathaniel was born in 1630 in Massachusetts. After 1656 Nathaniel settled in Barbados full time, where he was a planter and merchant at St. Lucy's.

From Amias, our grandmother

In Winthrop's Journal is the following :

"1633 Dec 5; John Sagamore died of small pox and almost all his people (above thirty) buried by Mr Maverick of Winnisimet in one day "and when their own people foresook them, the English came daily and ministered to them, and yet few, only two families took the infection by it. Among other Mr Maverick of Winnisimet is worthy of a perpetual rememberance, Himself, his wife and servants went daily to them, ministered to thier necessities and buried their dead, and TOOK HOME many of their childern"

In Libby's Genealogical Dictionary, p 26, list 246:

"Womens seats in the Saco Meetinghouse, Sept 22, 1666, given in tabular form in the records, seat 1, entitled "Mis." the other seats 'Goodis' Seat 1, Maverick, Phillips, Pendleton, Hooke, Bonithon, Williams, Trustrum

note; seven seats (rows) are listed. Both Maverick and Hooke were gone in the re-seating of 9 Dec 1674. Maverick was Amias, and Hooke, her daughter Mary, married to Francis Hooke. Amias, if I understand it correctly, had the seat that carried the most stature. It probably can be assumed that Samuel Maverick had died (after being a Royal Commissioner in NY in 1664), and that Amias was living in Saco with her daughter. There are several references to Francis Hooke on these pages.

From Samuel Maverick blogspot

he was, in April 1664, appointed on of the four Royal Commissioners to visit the colonies and inquire into grievances. For his services he received from the Duke of York, through a grant from Gov. Lovelace, a certain house and lot in New York City, on the Broadway. This gift he acknowledges in a letter of Oct. 15, 1669, to Col. Rich. Nicolls, his associate in the Commission, and we hear not of him again till in a deed of Mar. 15, 1676 (recorded Albany, L.1, p. 133), his trustees, John Laurence and Matthias Nicolls, of New York, confirm to William Vander Scheuren this same property on Broadway, which the latter had bought from the Deacons of the City, by whom it had been purchased at a public sale made for the benefit of Maverick’s daughter, Mary, wife of Rev. Francis Hooke of Kittery. Neither the time nor place of Maverick’s death, nor the depository of his will have, as yet, ascertained. No records of so early a date are preserved by the Dutch Church, who evidently held the lot for a short period, but, after a careful examination of conveyances in the City Register’s office, the writer has satisfactorily located the position of the Maverick Lot. May 30, 1667, Gov. Nicolls granted a lot on Broadway to Adam Onckelbach, which is described in later deeds as bounded south by house and lot of William Vander Scheuren, and which finally in October 1784, when known as No. 52 Broadway, was sold to John Jay, Esq., the future governor, who here erected a fine stone mansion. At this time the lot adjoining to the south was in the tenure and occupation of John Sliddell, save some 64 feet on the easterly of New Street end, which had been sold in 1683 by Vander Scheuren to William Post. Slidell’s sons in 1819 sold the greater portion of the lot, facing on Broadway, with a frontage of 21 1/3 ft, and a depth of 110 ft, to Robert Lenox; while the remaining few inches, with a lot adjoining to the south, known as No. 48, was sold by them on the same date to David Gelston. From the foregoing facts we gather that the original Maverick Lot was 26 1/4 feet wide, located on the easterly side of Broadway, running through to New Street, and beginning 125 feet south from the Church Street (afterwards Garden Street, and now Exchange Place); and that it corresponded with the present No. 50 Broadway.

Sources

  1. The New England Historical and Genealogical Register page 157-9 "Genealogical Research in England - Samuel Maverick"

Links

view all 11

Samuel Maverick's Timeline

1602
1602
Awliscombe, Devon, , England
1602
South Huish, Devonshire, England, United Kingdom
1629
1629
Age 27
Chelsea, Suffolk, Massachusetts
1630
1630
Age 28
East Boston, Suffolk, Massachusetts
1632
1632
Age 30
East Boston, Suffolk , Massachusetts
1635
1635
Age 33
East Boston, Suffolk, Massachusetts
1670
August 16, 1670
Age 68
New York, New York, New York
1931
October 22, 1931
Age 68
November 10, 1931
Age 68
1951
June 21, 1951
Age 68